When did you first realize you were aro/aroace

Star_girl56

I think I started identifying as ace when I was around 13 or 14. As for aro, probably around 16? I have questioned since then, and there were a couple moments where I thought I was gray-aroace or even allo, and I'm still figuring it out to this day. Right now I'm pretty comfortable with the term aroace. Maybe it'll change in the future. Maybe it won't. Who knows?

Also, welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Without going into too much detail I started noticing something was off around the time I was 12, then when I was thirteen I found the term but didn’t fully realize it was me. A few months after that I started using the term for myself, and over a year later I am now almost fully comfortable using the term. (Also Jaiden animations. Can’t forget her)

I thought I was asexual/aroace because I related to lack of attraction. Then I realized I do experience sexual attraction just hadn't figured out what that meant for me since I was young. I joined this forum when I was 16, learned more about aroallo and that I'm not the only one who feels like this.

• Like 1

Honestly, I knew the term aro long before I realised I was aro, for me it was a very gradual process to come to terms with it. I remember having sporadic "Am I maybe aro or ace...?" thoughts, but shutting them down immediately thinking I was silly because I had like one crush at the age of 13. Over time when a friend came out as aromantic I got to think about it more, I started considering it, calling myself aro sort of "experimentally" if that makes sense and by now I fully came in terms that I'm aromantic or aroallo. 

Around the age of 15. After I came out as nonbinary, I started to talk with people all over the queer community, aspec people included and I started to realise they had a lot of the same experiences I had and that I, just like them, lacked romantic (and sexual) attraction or at least didn't experience it as most people do.

With the years I've also discovered I'm asensual and aplatonic too.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest twelveunfort

when I was eleven. I just realized that I was when I realized aromancy exists.

Funny story, a friend of mine started questioning whether they were aromantic at the age of 14. They didn't really know much about labels, so they asked me randomly whether it was possible to be just aromantic, not asexual. I was like "Nah man, surely not, that's weird, you can only be aroace or ace". I have literally no idea why the hell I thought that. 

The universe wanted to be funny and made me understand by making me aro- I believe I wasn't always aro, since around the age of 14 or 15 I started being one, though it's hard to say in retrospective. I only realised at the age of 17, that was when that very same friend started being more open and comfortable about calling himself aromantic, I looked into it and accepted I was aromantic, too over time. I was honestly in denial for the longest time because I did have a crush once at the age of like 13 or 14, but I ended up realising that welp, especially during puberty when you are still developping sexual/romantic preferences and your hormones are going bonkers you can change and now I am aromantic, or alloaro and happy with the fact I realised it. 

If I didn't I would have kept thinking "Yeah, this guy is totally attractive and all, but I would not have a relationship because I guess I'm kinda picky" forever lmao

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was 20, maybe 19 when I first learned about asexuality and subsequently, aromanticism. I didn't comfortably identify as either until 25+ though.

• Like 1

Probably a few months ago when I realized that you don't need romantic/sexual relationships to not be lonely in life. The only reason I pursued them was the fear of being alone. once I realized that you don't need them it sorta clicked that I was aro/ace

Guest Ray_lovesdogs

I realized when i was about ten that something was off with me, but only in the recent school year, (grade 7) that i discovered the term aroace, and it fits me perfectly!

I'd say it was about high school that I started to consciously be aware I sometimes had instances of romantic repulsion and wondering why everyone around me seemed so hypersexual and romance obsessed with relationships. I had my last "real" crush in high school and that one was pretty shallow if I think about it now, so I"m not even sure I have ever truly felt "true" romantic attraction to anyone as I don't know what it is supposed to feel like. He was some guy in my class who I found aesthetically pleasing to look at but in reality I never really spoke to or interacted with him. I think I only liked the idea of him. The teenage phase was quite hard for me because I was developing on a biological level as a cisgendered woman and so of course the desire to be sexual and/or be desired sexually by others was insane. I can say it isn't much easier now in my 30's because every month before I get my period, it's like my hormones just go off and I'm grumpy and angry and moody because my body so desperately wants me to get pregnant. 

Edited by Raininspring