Fashion styles?

Jot-Aro Kujo

I love seeing all the different kinds of clothes people wear. Fashion is such a cool way to express yourself and have fun, so I'm curious what other people here like to wear. Tell me about your style!

For me, I'm part of the goth and punk subcultures, so a lot of what I wear is influenced by that. But I also like to dress elegant sometimes- In particular I like to wear lolita fashion (mostly gothic or classic). I'd say my most commonly worn day-to-day outfits consist of some sort of black skirt (usually knee length or above, with bike shorts or leggings underneath depending on the weather), and a graphic tee, sometimes in a contrasting color. I almost always wear coordinated earrings and some sort of hair accessory or hat. I also like to do brightly colored eye makeup in a traditional goth or punk style.

• Like 3

I love wearing paisley patterns! In general I’m not much of a fashion person but I adore everything paisley I’ve got in my wardrobe, so I’ve been meaning to have a look for more when I get the chance.

I love switching between different styles, fashion wise. Sometimes it's a flashy belt, business pants and platforms, or a toned sweater with cargos and hoops. Essentially I have a bunch of 'set' outfits, but they don't necessarily fit within one particular style :)

depends on the weather maybe?

I usually am wearing dyed jeans, a long sleeve or a sleeveless tshirt, usually of a band or something I found cute, a used to be green but is going brown due to sun bleaching flatcap, and a light jacket or hoodie depending on the weather. Dark nails for the most part and not really much makeup. Looking to get some sleeveless turtleneck shirts and getting into eyeliner.

I like to, when I can, wear bright, goofy, 'silly' clothes, or clothes with dork patterns. I have a weird, plastic floral hat with a pink wig attatched to it that I wear with my friends that is kinda  signature thing for me, which I impulsively bought from an OP shop.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2023 at 2:39 PM, HelloThere said:

I got the most gender nonspecific stuff possible. I always wear a t-shirt, a hoodie, and shorts. Literally the most gendervoid clothes o can think of. XD

I don’t even wear it because I’m agender, I just hate uncomfortable clothes and most stereotypical guy clothes are just uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I like slow fashion and having a minimalist wardrobe. So naturally I wear a rugged casual style.

My favorite brand is Momotaro Jeans. I have a lot from them and contrary to the name they don't make just jeans but the full range of clothing. Really top-notch quality and extremely durable.

Their unique signature is two white stripes somewhere, so that's a way I stick out a bit. 🙂

23 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

I don’t even wear it because I’m agender, I just hate uncomfortable clothes and most stereotypical guy clothes are just uncomfortable.

For me, it's exactly the other way around. 🤪

• Like 1

I would say I namely have a "Norm Core" aesthetic

I usually literally look like this (not ashamed):

what-is-normcore-jerry-seinfeld-george-costanza.jpg.1f25ede1b94e164753d8ee797b9c45d8.jpg 

Apologies for how big the picture is, but I've been trying to dabble more into the androgynous side of things (mixing an overtly masculine shirt with women's jeans, or a femme top with pants made for men in small, or a button up with a skirt etc) and have been wanting to dabble/play with the aesthetics such as Arcadecore, Alternative, Punk aspects, and Academia - if I'm able to get around to doing any of that.

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
clarified wanting to try punk aspects
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

Apologies for how big the picture is, but I've been trying to dabble more into the androgynous side of things (mixing an overtly masculine shirt with women's jeans, or a femme top with pants made for men in small, or a button up with a skirt etc) and have been wanting to dabble/play with the aesthetics such as "Arcadecore," "Alternative," "Punk," and "Academia," if I'm able to get around to doing any of that.

I would advise against trying punk fashion if you’re not in the subculture. Punk is a counterculture with a long history that’s generally associated with specific philosophical and political beliefs, in addition to a specific music genre. You’re certainly welcome to experiment with punk-inspired elements, like denim or spiked hair, but I would not recommend calling yourself punk or dressing in an all-out punk style if you’re not prepared to commit to the punk lifestyle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I would advise against trying punk fashion if you’re not in the subculture. Punk is a counterculture with a long history that’s generally associated with specific philosophical and political beliefs, in addition to a specific music genre. You’re certainly welcome to experiment with punk-inspired elements, like denim or spiked hair, but I would not recommend calling yourself punk or dressing in an all-out punk style if you’re not prepared to commit to the punk lifestyle. 

Thank you for the clarification! I knew it was a counter-culture with philosophy and political views, but I tend to forget how people strive to stay entwined with the culture and how much more important it is to them. I don't have the words for how - intriguing I guess, though that's not necessarily the right word I should use, that the culture is to me, but I can find it fascinating, relatable in ways, and understand why it's very important and yet still not be able to actually commit unless I was ready to and further learned the implications.

I guess I should've specified I'd like to try certain aspects of punk, but now I know that I shouldn't just call myself punk for that /gen

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:27 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

to experiment with punk-inspired elements, like denim or spiked hair,

Isn't denim one of the most popular fabrics in the world? 🙃 How can it be punk-inspired?

Or do you just mean the typical stuff like ripped or acid-washed jeans, with lots of patches?

8 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

Isn't denim one of the most popular fabrics in the world? 🙃 How can it be punk-inspired?

Or do you just mean the typical stuff like ripped or acid-washed jeans, with lots of patches?

Stuff like that, yeah.

There's actually a big reason why denim is popular in the punk scene; Punk rock has a long history with the working class, and originally the stage costumes were just the musician's work clothes- Rips and stains and all, rebelling against the idea that someone needs to have clean, undamaged clothes in order to be acceptable in public. Denim is also, for much the same reasons as it's popular with physical laborers, great for providing a level of protection in a fight. As the punk scene grew and DIY art and fashion became a big part of it, people started adding things like studs and spikes, painted or bleached details, and patches or pins representing their favorite bands or political statements. Hardworking denim has stayed a staple of punk fashion.

(In the 90s and 2000s when it became trendy to imitate a punk or grunge look, pre-ripped and pre-bleached denim became pretty common, but most punks find it distasteful due to its soullessness- These clothes seek to imitate the damaged clothes of the working class without having any actual wear and tear, or any of the emotion and artistic thought put into DIY fashion.)

So basically while denim itself isn't exclusive to punk, it is a huge staple of punk fashion, so someone who admires punk fashion might like denim clothes.

• Like 3

I like wearing graphic T-shirts in green, blue and purple hues. Many of those sporting designs I made myself. So I usually wear dark pants combined with a graphic Tee and a baseball jacket. If I want to present a bit more 'professionally' I also like to wear blouses with flowery prints combined with a nice jacket. I have a couple of colourful pants as well (including a pair of shorts with a dinosaur print a friend made me) which I combine with a black or a white Tee.

two-dinosaurs-being-best-friends-during-trying-times.jpeg.6970d2318a158575f6b0cd18bda9c5b4.jpegwebwinkelsloppysquid.jpeg.b341acc07f301381270f5d4cf3956c14.jpeg

(Pictured: two of my shirts)

Most of my pants are Mens fit, because pockets! For shoes i wear Vans or All-star In the winter and Toms in the summer.

Friends of mine are getting married in October and they have a dress code. I don't like to wear dresses so I went and bought myself a light blue 3 piece suit. I needs a few adjustments (especially for the waistcoat) but I like how it looks on me :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nix said:

two-dinosaurs-being-best-friends-during-trying-times.jpeg.6970d2318a158575f6b0cd18bda9c5b4.jpeg

I know the dinos!

9 hours ago, Nix said:

webwinkelsloppysquid.jpeg.b341acc07f301381270f5d4cf3956c14.jpeg

I love it!!! 🤩

9 hours ago, Nix said:

If I want to present a bit more 'professionally' I also like to wear blouses with flowery prints combined with a nice jacket.

Professionally would be suit for me. This is ok, but black-tie events... 🤬 It is so expensive and time-consuming to get into a dinner jacket (I don't even own such a thing).

20 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

(In the 90s and 2000s when it became trendy to imitate a punk or grunge look, pre-ripped and pre-bleached denim became pretty common, but most punks find it distasteful due to its soullessness- These clothes seek to imitate the damaged clothes of the working class without having any actual wear and tear, or any of the emotion and artistic thought put into DIY fashion.)

I guess you can't argue about looks. 🤷‍♂️ But the fact is, they all wear deliberately ripped jeans, though most punks do the ripping themselves. But you can't tell me it's natural wear. At least in 99 % of cases, it's not.

And I couldn't do that, ripping perfectly good denim. 😭

Maybe there are some tricks, but it still reduces the stability of the jeans and the holes tend to get bigger.

I had a 15 oz Japanese raw denim for five years, which I wore constantly and which was washed >200 times. And aside from the normal fades, the stitches and fabric were as good as new, it just didn't fit me anymore.

Would that be possible with a ripped-jeans. I don't think so.

• Thanks 1

I guess my style is best described as maximalist. I accessorize a lot and I wear a lot of black and darker colors. I take inspiration from a lot of different places but I guess the main goal is to look like I'm from a page of FRUiTS magazine.

I also collect weird earrings (a lot of these are selfmade)

IMG_20220925_122220.thumb.jpg.2e3d1639a5cf84c843dba21a7e887332.jpgIMG_20220925_115600.thumb.jpg.274da4f1ea4d10b63ad140c0d80f71e9.jpg

And I collect T-Shirts with interesting prints. I'm a big fan of Steven Rhodes and Victor Kahn

black-nekomancer.jpg?v=1629335986&width=8579b5963f6792ed95fb8bb146a966c6.jpg

I also really like collecting enamel pins and making buttons and patches so most of my jackets are decorated in some way

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Maybe Mae said:

And I collect T-Shirts with interesting prints. I'm a big fan of Steven Rhodes and Victor Kahn

Same! My favourite is the ‘Let’s summon demons’ shirt:

IMG_7534.jpeg.682a8f811188777bf53dab540eae7d55.jpeg

I also really like your earring collection!

• Like 3

I literally have no clue where this shirt comes from, and I may have already stated somewhere how much I want it, but this is literally my gender identity:A13usaonutL._AC_CLa_21402000_615oxvDYAHL.png_00214020000_00.02140.02000.0_UY1000_.jpeg.a0fa3a2d6e769d1f07cd492ff80558ff.jpeg

I need this shirt

• Like 1