Acceptable romantic music

what do people here think about romantc music. i suppose i am a bit of a grouch about the whole 'not another love song, dont we have enough' thing but there are some i can appreciate.

are you ok with it, find it uncomfortable, how do you feel about it.

are there any romantic songs you find ok to listen to? perhaps beautiful in their own way, or maybe silly enough to be ok with?

ok, admittedly this is largely an excuse to post the hippopotamus song because i find it very funny. (and acceptable to me because it is about the least romantic love song i can think of)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Romance in music doesn't bother me. I can still appreciate the sound, relate the music to my OCs, interpret the song as being about a different type of relationship, or just enjoy the VibesTM- because even though I can't relate, I still appreciate how romance can evoke powerful emotion and visuals in things like music and poetry. Many of my favorite songs are about romance, like Cosmic Love by Florence + The Machine.

• Like 2

If it's rock n roll I'm good with it. Hair Metal was big when I was a kid so there's a nostalgia thing for me in the power ballads.

But not country. This whole week I've had to listen to country on the pa at work and I am totally fucking over it. Every day I hear 20 different "I'm in love/ I love my wife/ we broke up/ my spouse is dead" songs in each category. If I had any remaining doubts about being aro they have been put to rest for good.

• Like 1

Spoiler

SO LET ME BEEEE

AND I'LL SET YOU FREEE

OH YEAH!

I LIVE IN MISERY

THERE AINT NOBODY WHO CAN COMFORT ME, OH YEAH

WHY WONT YOU ANSWER ME?!??!

THE SILENCE IS SLOWLY, KILLING ME

OH YEAH!

acceptable because:

1) catchy

2) the chorus fucking slaps

3) maroon 5

3 hours ago, Apex said:

Romance in music doesn't bother me. I can still appreciate the sound, relate the music to my OCs, interpret the song as being about a different type of relationship, or just enjoy the VibesTM- because even though I can't relate, I still appreciate how romance can evoke powerful emotion and visuals in things like music and poetry. Many of my favorite songs are about romance, like Cosmic Love by Florence + The Machine.

same here! im actually quite a fan of most loves song purely for catchiness levels and cool lyrics

• Like 1

I can still appreciate it if it is well written, and if I love the rythm, the voice of the singer, etc. For instance, recentlt I surprised myself in loving the French singer Hoshi, even if I am usually not a fan of French modern music. And it makes me even more happy cause she is a lesbian artist and it is great to see LGBT people succeed.

I just like her voice and I think she has great texts.

It is true that a reason why i came to love Broadway is because I can find there more variety in themes, but it doesn't mean I can't love a good romantic song !

a few comes to mind. i listen to romance songs because of their melody but i will list the ones that actually has good lyrics

1. want to be cremated. a tragic love story. the protagonist and franny; his lover had a child but she died giving birth and the protagonist ended up committing suicide
  2. shes a riot. idk just some really funky romantic dynamic. the lyrics hits hard
  3. 2 bed 2 bath [and a ghost]. not necessarily romance? but its about roberts dead wife haunting him trying to kill him so they can reunite in the afterlife. sounds fucked up but actually pretty sweet

and that would be my top three. thank you for listening to my ted talk

13 hours ago, alien said:

after like

(it's catchy)

this sounding like those songs that my family blasts on like 1000 volume during birthday parties and events

so wait if I goes between love does that make it LOIVE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The AJR obsessed child I am, I constantly swing between Turning Out and Turning Out pt. II (both by that band). 

Also, as a side note, if anyone is looking for songs that have little or nothing to do with romance but are still, you know, significant feeling, I would highly recommend AJR. Most of their songs are ironic and little on the surface level but are very relatable if you dive deeper. 

• Like 2

Michael Jackson songs. Some Eurobeat. Some Vaporwave.

If I think its romantic I will never enjoy it. If it is romantic to others but I can spin it for myself and make it about something else it works. Really subjective I know. 

A neat trick for repulsed Aros like me who hates when anything becomes romantic. Works sometimes but not guaranteed.

When She / Her is spoken, She is not a person… no no no. Think abstract, I sometimes create super deep weird metaphors that sometimes don’t even make sense to justify it lol.

Anyway to my point. She is more than a person. She is the Boogie, the groove, the funk, the frequency. Her charms, beauty, spunk, smile, sparkling eyes. Thats the frequency,  euphoria in your ears, the beat. She is not limited to a physical corporeal shell, she is free from the shackles of flesh. 

She is the music her smile that makes MJ go eheee!!! is that soul power that makes you want to get down on it. move your feet, fling your arms, makes you feel it.. Do u feel it now Mr Krabs?….She is soul power.

Some songs just don’t hit me as super romantic for whatever reason. Im extremely picky over this, and can’t find any strong rhyme or reasons for why.

Some times I can provide a reason. A thousand miles reminds me of being a younger kid, old youtube, nostalgic, makes me remember good memories from the past. A simpler time in my life. This is one of the only songs that gets a pass though, a lot of other ones from the time I won’t like. 

A lot of old sappy love songs my folks like for the memories they relate with those songs. We heard this on a road trip or at the beach / school played this, did this dance to it. The lyrics and meaning of the song aren’t always super important to the listener. 

Yeah, That’s about it…

Edited by Ikarus

• 1 month later...

I really like romantic stuff, and that includes songs. Ok fair enough, I'm not into romance at all (literally, when I came out everyone wasn't even shocked), but the fact is, some romantic songs relate to love and I do still feel a lot of love (especially for my queer platonic partner) and for my best friends so really, I just try to apply it into that sense. 

Like arctic monkeys, their love songs are amazing because they're either so abstractly written that my dumb brain cannot fathom how it's related to romantic love or just written about love and I can relate it to my own life. 

Some examples for me include (all of these are Arctic Monkeys songs)

• Piledriver Waltz - this song is clearly about love, but never actually specifies what type of love. 
  • Love is a Laserquest - this song is clearly about love, however it's not extremely sappy or even romantic - it just describes love. 
  • Perfect sense - THIS SONG is mwah. It's short, but it's absolutely phenomenal. It described my feelings when I first realised how much I loved my partner. 
  • Big Ideas - This song (I think) is about an engagement, but to be honest it's so vague you can barely relate it to romantic love
  •  I wanna be yours - ICONIC. Was my favourite for a while. Fine, I'll admit, it's very clearly sexual and romantic, however it sort of sums up love and the despair of it. 
  • That's where you're wrong - This song is just amazing, and it never links to romantic love, but sort of showcases the idea of soulmates.

NOTABLE SHOUTOUT: Bon Jovi- You give love a bad name. I LOVE THIS SONG because it sort of makes me feel like yes, traditionally aroaces 'give love a bad name' but so what? We do us and we deserve to feel comfortable in our own skin. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:21 PM, EternallyTBD said:

The AJR obsessed child I am, I constantly swing between Turning Out and Turning Out pt. II (both by that band). 

Also, as a side note, if anyone is looking for songs that have little or nothing to do with romance but are still, you know, significant feeling, I would highly recommend AJR. Most of their songs are ironic and little on the surface level but are very relatable if you dive deeper. 

bruh I LOVE AJRRRRR
BEST BANNDDDDDD

did u hear the dj is crying for help n some of the newer songs? so cool! i love ok orchestra n neotheater too!

Edited by A User
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, A User said:

did u hear the dj is crying for help n some of the newer songs? so cool! i love ok orchestra n neotheater too!

I did! I don’t relate to it as much, but h still like it. What’s your favorite ok orchestra song? There are a lot of good ones…

On 12/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, Arden said:

Like arctic monkeys, their love songs are amazing because they're either so abstractly written that my dumb brain cannot fathom how it's related to romantic love or just written about love and I can relate it to my own life. 

Now I feel like checking out arctic monkeys again. I used to listen to some random songs of them back when I'd download stuff from limewire.

• 10 months later...

I feel like the most acceptable romantic music for myself would be love songs that don't proclaim everyone is looking for love, and rather it's only about the singer being infatuated with someone/just about their individual experience; romantic love songs that can literally be interpreted as platonic or about familial love; "love songs" that are actually just bittersweet songs about meeting with someone they cared about again someday; and love songs where the singer says they do romantically like someone but either don't want a relationship with them, or would hilariously drop them like a hat.

Two examples:

"Till Then" by The Mills Brothers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54gbdenVdsY - I interpret more as like losing a family member and then seeing them again one day

"Just The Two of Us" by Bill Withers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggoKnflDvAw - just about the singers romantic infatuation that can also be read as something else than romantic

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature