what would be your dream aromantic character?

I would love to see an outgoing, extroverted, confident and affectionate aro/ace character. I just see the stereotype that aro/ace people are introverted, overly serious... Some even seem like a robot or something. And I'm an opposite of those stereotypes (ENFP aroace guy here). When I came out as aroace some people were like "but you're a literal magnet for people, you're the life of the party!", "you seem too extroverted and opened about your feelings to be aroace", "are you serious? but you are so nice and affectionate", "but you're so talkative, funny and you even jokingly flirt with people" or "I would never guess that you're aroace... you're not innocent or shy like most of them". Comments like that are harming aspec people and make unhealthy stereotypes. Seeing an aro/ace character in media who denies all those stereotypes (or at least most of them) could help allos understand that those comments are wrong. Also, I would love to see an aroace character with a more outgoing personality so I can relate to them more.

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Aro idea

I would love an entire world where just everyone is aro ace, no romance just a lot of adventures and cake. Make so many aro ace character all different and dimensional to make up for the decades without any representation. We could prove the world that you don’t need romance to make a good compelling book series just good writing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zara Bennle

I would like to see an a romantic sexual character represented in a way that shows no negative ,ay be and harmful stereotypes. Also maybe a character who isn’t out to lots of people! Just a few bffs.

I wanna see an energetic aroace who is out of the closet. I wanna see an aroace who loves life. I wanna see an aroace who shows all of the affection to their friends and family. One who isn't depicted as cold and one who isn't depicted as moody/unstable.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Someone who is extremely bubbly and cheerful, would go above and beyond for their friends, but honestly doesn't understand romance as a concept, saying things like:

"Isn't that just close friendship with more rules?"

"Isn't dating just hanging out but fancier and more stressful?"

"Did you just put your tongue into their mouth! Yuck! Why would you do that?"

"I don't understand why you're so sad about breaking up, can't you still be friends and stuff?"

"Just friends? What's just about  friendship?"

"Friend Zone? That sounds like an awesome place, can I move there?"

"Why cuddle with just one person?"

"(when asked if their best guy friend is their boyfriend) "Well... he's a boy and he's my friend sooooo... yeah?"

I have many more but I'll stop now.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:22 AM, Alexander said:

I would love to see an outgoing, extroverted, confident and affectionate aro/ace character. I just see the stereotype that aro/ace people are introverted, overly serious... Some even seem like a robot or something. And I'm an opposite of those stereotypes (ENFP aroace guy here). When I came out as aroace some people were like "but you're a literal magnet for people, you're the life of the party!", "you seem too extroverted and opened about your feelings to be aroace", "are you serious? but you are so nice and affectionate", "but you're so talkative, funny and you even jokingly flirt with people" or "I would never guess that you're aroace... you're not innocent or shy like most of them". Comments like that are harming aspec people and make unhealthy stereotypes. Seeing an aro/ace character in media who denies all those stereotypes (or at least most of them) could help allos understand that those comments are wrong. Also, I would love to see an aroace character with a more outgoing personality so I can relate to them more.

No way, you're ENFP too? !!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

i'd love to see an aromantic character who is the "popular kid" at school. not the stereotypical asshole type, one who is kind and everyone likes. maybe like jackson marchetti from sex education, but aromantic? i think that would be fun.

also, reading your responses, i think that maybe you would like Musa, an aroace character from the comic Buuza!! he's very sweet, confident and a good friend, he's trying his best. sadly, it's not directly stated in the story that he's aromantic, just in the characters' profiles. you can read it for free on Tapas or Webtoon if you'd like! :)

• Like 1

@sol
 I agree! Aromantic traits often seem paired with aloofness or shyness in media. Unless it's an aro allo character, then they can be very outgoing as part of their many sexual relationships (because of course every aro allo person has super high libido ? )

• Like 1

Probably a nonamorous aromantic who still cares very very deeply about the people closest to them. I feel like, with the very limited representation we get, there's a lot of emphasis on queerplatonic relationships (which is great, honestly! I'm glad it's been talked about and explored because QPRs are a cool thing that needs more publicity, I just wish there was a little more variety and acknowledgement of the fact that wanting a QPR is not a default characteristic of all aros), and the few aros we get who don't want QPRs tend to fall into the aloof, robotic aro stereotype. I want an aro who cares for people as deeply and passionately as I do while still being just as disinterested in having a partner of any sort. An aro happily living life alone without living it in isolation. I would also love if their story explored a bit of how amatonormativity makes life harder for people who don't have partners of any sort, without being all doom and gloom about it.

I don't think it's coincidence that, out of the many arospec characters I've written, two of my favorites (and definitely the top two in regards to writing about aromanticism, rather than about people who happen to be arospec) are both non-partnered people with really important and complex platonic and familial relationships, one of whom has a pretty non-standard found family living situation.

• Like 5

On 10/29/2021 at 12:48 AM, ilse said:

An aro character who is romance favourable, but I feel like that'd be too complicated to understand for allo people ?‍♀️

Maybe, but it could be nice for us. The allos would probably just see it as, oh they had some problems connecting to their feelings, or something like that.