Can someone use bisexual and asexual labels?

Tarantulapaws

Prefacing this by saying that it is nearly 2am and that I'm on here waiting on my phone to charge. I may not make much sense. I... think I could have been right about being aroace, just, I may be gray ace. This explains a lot to me. Realizing that there was a reason I feel a disconnect between my body's function and the act of actually doing things helped a lot. I ended up finally processing that I really have boundaries due to the conversation I had with the ace person who made me realize this (the story is really funny). That being said, I'm still attached to the label as a bi aro. I still relate to it. Leaves me feeling like I'm in this weird spot where both are technically right. I don't always genuinely experience sexual attraction, but when I do it's potentially to 2+ genders.

Basically, question: does the both is good gif apply?

Use whatever labels work for you! It might be helpful to think about sexuality in the model proposed by the AVEN Triangle

The top line represents the Kinsey scale, the left being homosexual, the right being heterosexual and the third dimension, leading to the bottom point of the triangle, represents sexual attraction. Asexuals lie in the bottom regions of the triangle, which is why you might see the two-toned triangle having only the bottom corner black. AVEN chooses to display the triangle as a gradient, which allows room for demisexuals and grey-asexuals. It signifies that there really is no clear cut black-and-white; it is a continuum.

Basically, that who you are attracted to can be thought of as one axis, and how you experience that attraction is another. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's definitely ok. I'd also suggest it's possible *gasp* to... combine labels. *GASP* Basically, you could call yoself aromantic, and grey-bisexual. (Grey-bi kinda has a ring to it.) Please do whatever makes you comfortable and happy, and have a great day! 

Edited by hermi1e
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

The split attraction model is a very new concept and before it existed bisexuality meant attraction to all genders. It doesn't have to be sexual, you can be a bi (romantic) ace and still identify as bisexual. You can also be gray-ace and bisexual. In the terms I've seen most commonly on this site, I'm gray-biromantic bisexual but I'm also not the biggest fan of the split attraction model so I don't use that label.

So even if I were 100% asexual and sex repulsed, I would still be bisexual because I could be romantically attracted to any gender on the rare occasions when I do feel romantic attraction. But if I were fully aromantic on top of that, I wouldn't be bi.

Edited by El011

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 4:24 AM, JustVibin' said:

Well, I feel like the act of feeling sexual attraction period, regardless of the frequency, excludes you from the asexual identity but *shrug*.

Well there are lots of acespecs who are sexual attracted sometimes. There is no “challenge” of who is “more asexual”

Also, someone could e.g. use the label bisexual asexual when they could imagine to have sex with more than one gender but still don’t feel sexual attracted to them.. I guess there are plenty of reasons to use more then one label and thats okay

I mean sometimes I feel that way to one gender even tho I technically I identify/label as bi, I feel i only want to have sex with a certain gender but still feel somewhat attracted to both, not sure if repulsion or gender roles etc. play into it tho. 

I mean I guess in one sense homosexuals/heterosexuals are asexual on one side xP though thats just one interpretation but in those cases there is some sexuality so the label itself wouldn't apply lol. 

So for me personally I wouldnt think of being asexual/demi/grey etc at all, though from those online test thingys they said I could be mildly so as in some contexts I just find sex a distraction, dont have interest or in the same way society expects u to but those quiz thingys are not exactly accurate ^^ 

When I was younger some people thought I could be asexual and for a long time I didn't really care. Some people who were homosexual think they are asexual first or those with not much experience or care for that kinda thing but theoretically might. 

I think for someone it depends really how they feel about it, just labels really. I think mainly tho it is a useful label for those people who really don't really feel anything or very rarely though, explains their feelings.