Aromantic style

Pumpkincat

16 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Do romantic orientations normally have aesthetics associated with them? I just wear clothes. I mean, I'm goth and tend to dress accordingly, but that has nothing to do with my orientation.

I guess some do? But they tend to be very stereotypical (like, lesbians and plaid) so I idk. 

Personally it depends on my energy that day. Most of my wardrobe is hand me downs, so I have to get real creative when I want to show a "personal" style lol. I like playing with silhouette (low key I try to look like a triangle) and accessories. I'm also a firm believer in that there's no such thing as too much jean in an outfit. 

But at the end of the day clothing is just stuff you have to put on your body so whenever I don't have a lot of energy or I'm just feeling down I'll put on a sweater and sweatpants.

38 minutes ago, Poopyguy47 said:

I feel like aromantic style is simply a lack thereof. We aren't trying to impress anyone.

Speak for yourself, I think everyone should look at my outfits and think "Wow, that lady is so cool and stylish and powerful, I want to be her friend and also give her $100 just for being so cool". (I mean, I usually just get "I love your dress!" or "Cool hat!" but that's good enough for me)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I think some orientations have clothes/accessories that are associated with them, but not really whole styles And my aromanticism doesn't affect my dress.

I like dressing up and looking nice (and impressing/intriguing people, just not romantically) but I also don't have much time to get ready in the mornings and my workplace has a casual-to-business-casual dress code. Love me some slacks and cardigans. I used to have a more "flow-y" aesthetic with fun skirts but am a bit burnt out on it rn.

Usually when I'm running errands I'm just in jeans and a hoodie 😅 But I'd really like to muster up the energy to put on a nice outfit and accessories and colorful makeup even for simple stuff like that.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 2

How I dress is associated with how I feel in correlation with my gender identity, but I guess my style is all weird button-down shirts and baggy denim pants, with Corduroy pants as well and if I wanted I think I could associate that with my aromanticism.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 7:56 PM, Pumpkincat said:

I’m new to the aromantic community and I have noticed that there really isn’t an aesthetic. So i was wondering what u wear?

I wish I knew. I’m depressed so it’s hard to get enthusiastic about style even though i want to find one. I’ve been apathetic about it most my life, but within the past year that changed.

1 hour ago, Sabrina F said:

I wish I knew. I’m depressed so it’s hard to get enthusiastic about style even though i want to find one. I’ve been apathetic about it most my life, but within the past year that changed.

I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. It’s not my dress that feels lacking, it’s my personality. I just hate feeling a strong lack of confidence and second guessing myself all the time. That’s my issue.

On 6/23/2023 at 12:28 AM, Ikarus said:

@Pumpkincat A long time ago on an aro reddit I heard rumors of an aromantic aesthetic. 

The style is quite dapper if I do say so myself. May I present to you, the aro aesthetic. 

9A197EF4-1850-48D6-871B-74CC6051D032.jpeg.a490d4ed3254d3a978ccdd3ad41cf9a9.jpeg

The thing is that whenever I think of an oc I’d love to draw (my drawing skills are crap), I think of some purple and black colored robes sorta like this in a way, idk why that just seems like a heavy “powerful villain” type of aesthetic.

• Like 1

suelo usar camisas con logotipos o dibujos  de caricaturas estampados y pantalones de mezclilla y siento que no necesitamos que nada nos represente solo somos lo,que somos pero utilizo una pulsera de hilo con los colores de la bandera arro

On 6/25/2023 at 6:52 PM, maruchan said:

suelo usar camisas con logotipos o dibujos  de caricaturas estampados y pantalones de mezclilla y siento que no necesitamos que nada nos represente solo somos lo,que somos pero utilizo una pulsera de hilo con los colores de la bandera arro

I agree. I don’t want to be stereotyped based on my appearance. But…I can also understand wanting an aesthetic so people can feel a greater sense of community by dressing similarly. I found some pretty cool aro pride clothing on Etsy. The artwork is beautiful - it’s pretty subtle too so you aren’t likely to out yourself wearing it. I was thinking of getting a ring. Very cool that you have a bracelet!!!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 5:16 PM, HelloThere said:

I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. It’s not my dress that feels lacking, it’s my personality. I just hate feeling a strong lack of confidence and second guessing myself all the time. That’s my issue.

The thing is that whenever I think of an oc I’d love to draw (my drawing skills are crap), I think of some purple and black colored robes sorta like this in a way, idk why that just seems like a heavy “powerful villain” type of aesthetic.

That sounds cool. I feel like villain clothes could easily be aro culture. It's problematic that most aro coded characters in fiction are villains but at least they are often stylishly dressed so we could claim them.

@Pumpkincatyou could check out this thread for inspiration

Some of the stuff mentioned in there is clothes. Overalls and clogs 😄

Edited by Holmbo

I wear black whenever possible.  Black pants, black t-shirt.  That's me.  And that's as close as I come to dressing Goth.  Oh, and Tactical boots.  Always Tactical boots.  Usually some kind of accessory too, either a headscarf or cat ears.  I am a therian.

Edited by alto
  • Like 1

I guess if I wanted to say what style "felt aromantic" to me, that would be punk, but people may feel differently about that since I also see punk as a good expression of gender identity and activism (when activists are punks themselves or wield being punk in activism).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/23/2023 at 1:56 AM, Pumpkincat said:

I’m new to the aromantic community and I have noticed that there really isn’t an aesthetic. So i was wondering what u wear?

There is no aro aesthetics, AFAIK.

But good question, since we have lovecore, why don't we have arocore? 😭😄

At least you can wear aromantic symbols and aro colors! So any aesthetics that allows shades of green, a white ring, arrows, etc. can be "aromantic style".

I don't wear anything of that, though. My aesthetics is solarpunk, to use a fancy word for slow fashion.

Edited by DeltaAro