Being Aromantic is Awesome, Actually.

Aren't most sad things about break-ups and rejects and cheaters galore? If anything, being an allo sounds depressing to me.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

one thing i love about being aro is never having to worry about participating in romance/date culture, like worrying whether i'm "pretty" or "desirable" or whatever, having to go on awkward dates, having to perform cringy romantic acts for someone, the list goes on. i'd rather just be myself and enjoy platonic relationships, thank you very much.

another thing i find really cool about being aro is that since i don't get crushes i feel like i can view everyone more objectively, whereas a lot of allos seem to get blinded by love and view their crushes with rose-tinted glasses.

lastly, i think it's just plain rad to subvert societal expectations. in a world that puts romance on a pedestal and discriminates against those who don't, to defy the pressure and stay true to yourself is pretty badass.

• Like 1

I can play video games all day without a partner badgering at me to get a life.

Jokes aside, it is nice to be able to focus on my goals and hobbies without any romantic feelings or worries busying things up even more. I already feel like I have not that much time to squeeze in my hobbies along with my college work, so I have no idea how allos manage to have romantic thoughts occupying their brains in the mix with all those other things as well lol.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 5:22 AM, CanadianBird said:

A lot of allos (and aros too!) often feel that being aromantic is lonely and depressing.

I disagree. I think being aromantic is awesome. I find it liberating and comfortable :-)

To help clear up the misconception, why would you say being aromantic is awesome?

I know ! From the moment i figured out i am aro i have been feeling thia joy i had never known i could feel, sth i really didn't feel when i was with my ex.

It has taken so much pressure from my mind, god i really hope everyone can come to love thier identity too

I honestly can't see what it's cracked up to be in terms of being alloromantic. I try to be understanding of course, since lots of people I know are definitely alloromantic, and when they get heartbroken I try to console and see it from their point of view (and I often compare their romantic heartbreak to when I have had bad falling outs with friends). But, I just can't see the benefits. I'm happy that I am with friends and family, and having a romantic "special someone" sounds utterly draining and promising to be a bad decision. Of course, I try to be optimistic for my friends and family, and I'm always happy when a relationship works out in the end, but sometimes the thought, "Are they faking it for each other?" enters my head despite knowing that they are not - despite knowing that it's just my aromantic brain thinking that way.

• Like 1

Whenever my good friend asks why anyone exists, I tell her that "Its because their parents decided to be alloromantic with each other, and then they did the allosexual thing."

• Haha 1

I've been struggling with feeling happy with my aromantic identity lately, this thread helped a lot :)

I'm realizing I have a lot of freedom being aro and single. I can do what I truly want to do in life without being influenced by the decisions and opinions of another. So, that's pretty cool.

• Like 1

honestly i struggle enough with platonic goings as is, can't imagine struggling with romance as well

i think it's nice to have the freedom of not thinking about crushes or whatever. i like independance

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I appreciate not having to consider another person or be responsible for another person's emotional state most of the time. I'm a therapist and i already do so much considering and caring already that i'm pretty tapped out on consideration and care for others too extensively.

Obviously i'm still kind and considerate with family and other platonic relationships in my life but with a partner it seems like you're never truly "free" from having to consider another person and that is bliss for me.

I get overstimulated easily when i leave my house and there is nothing like returning home, collapsing on my couch like a rag doll and not moving for anything lol.

I imagine with a partner I'd feel constantly "on", putting on this performance of caring and consideration i don't really feel all that strongly all of the time.

I'm probably also aplatonic, and i only need to check in with friends like once a week or so if that. I largely get all my social needs met living with family and small chitchat if that.

Not having my self worth based on the attention or affections of another person.

After rejecting someone who cried and wanted me to just pretend to be in a relationship with her to make her feel better about herself, I am really not missing anything honestly. 

• Like 2