The music thread

What’s your favorite music genres, songs, soundtracks? 

My favorite music genres is 

- Indie/alternative 

- Vaporwave 

- Rock 

- EDM 

-oldies and 80’s-90’s music 

-Kpop/Jpop 

Just the name of few. I listen to whatever music that makes me happy whether it’s  mainstream music or oldies, but only if there’s some really catchy and great songs❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Cocothecoconut

i'm getting back into listening to albums as a whole! i used to as a teen, when i bought CDs, but fell out of the habit once spotify and similar came around. i'm also buying CDs again, or at least the digital albums of artists i want to support.

Right now the album I keep replaying is The Unmaster by Dizraeli (especially I Freak Out and Rising Son)

I also keep listening to Hark by Gentle Mystics on loop

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nisse said:

i'm getting back into listening to albums as a whole! i used to as a teen, when i bought CDs, but fell out of the habit once spotify and similar came around. i'm also buying CDs again, or at least the digital albums of artists i want to support.

Right now the album I keep replaying is The Unmaster by Dizraeli (especially I Freak Out and Rising Son)

I also keep listening to Hark by Gentle Mystics on loop

Why don’t you listen to music at spotify or apple music? 

Ok. Don't really mind much about genre, I just end up obsessing over a tiny number of songs then move to something completely different.

As for songs/artist I am currently obsessed with

Vienna teng - antebellum

Sons of kemet - throughout the madness, stay strong

Frightened rabbit - keep yourself warm

Isaacs albeniz - asturias

The twilight sad - it never was the same

The taxpayers - some rotten man

I'm also currently obsessing about Bobby McFerrin's improv stuff. Seriously worth having a look at. Spending about 10 minutes or so experimenting with noises, a bit of audience call and response and he just creates these amazing tunes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cocothecoconut said:

Why don’t you listen to music at spotify or apple music? 

i do have spotify, but it's not a good support for smaller artists like alto said! so i always try to link their bandcamp, and buy music directly from them. 

• Like 1

I LOVE metal, and all it's subgenres. I am currently obsessed with symphonic metal (which sounds like a mix of metal, opera and classical music).

I also like country, rap, hip hop, rock, ska... A bit of everything, but I don't like reggaeton nor trap.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cocothecoconut said:

My guilty pleasure ??

But it’s fine, i love all genres expect for some grandma polka music ?

Grandma polka...? Wow, I had never heard of that, it sounds funny, maybe I will check on it just for curiosity

1. When I was in my teens I started listening to metal like IRON MAIDEN, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Manowar, … then
  2. symphonic- / speed-metal like Helloween, Blind Guardian, Ensiferum, Kalmah,
  3. gothic-/alt-metal, dark / gothic / industrial rock like Type O Negative, HIM, Tool, Sisters of Mercy, Nine Inch Nails,
  4. hard rock like Guns N’ Roses, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Blue Öyster Cult, Queen, Alice Cooper and …
  5. pop rock like Divinyls     ?? ?(just gotta advertise this very unique but obscure 1980s Australian band which was already loooong defunct at the time I listened to them – it just sucks that their songs are so much about romo stuff),
  6. alt-rock like Foo Fighters, Paramore and
  7. electronic / synth pop or electro wave like Daft Punk, Danger, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan
  8. art-/alt-/dream-pop like Chvrches, FKA twigs and
  9. my favorite artist now GRIMES.
  10. My favorite classic composer is BELA BARTOK.

If you see a common thread let me know.

I can’t explain it myself. I just like what I like.

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was into kpop/jpop/cpop when PopAsia was still on tv, but I'm not great at seeking things out on my own.

I like metal when I can hear the lyrics XD

I got really into filk music a while back and I should go find some new artists. I haven't been looking into new music much.

Hearing someone call the Divinyls 'obscure' is ...a feeling

• 3 weeks later...

I WANNA START OUT SAYING THE SONG NEVER BEEN IN LOVE BY WILL JAY IS A MUST-LISTEN-TO FOR AROS.  ITS ABOUT NOT FALLING IN LOVE AND HOW THATS NOT A BAD THING AND ITS VERY UPBEAT.

I like any music.  I have songs stuck in my head alll day.  Not even songs I listen to regularly, just music I’ve heard (tho the ones I listen to more do get stuck in my head more).  Music is one of my top 3 favorite things about life.

My all time favorite love-every-song-they’ve-ever-made artist is Derivakat.  I put their music on shuffle and NEVER have to skip.  Some of my favorites are Honey, her cover of Stand Out, Fit in, Don’t Wanna Lose You, Finally Find You, Ain’t No Crying, Welcome Home, and Take Aim.

I also like Magic Sword- they make 80s/90s style synth music and it’s really nice to listen to if I’m studying and want a nice beat in the background but don’t want to get totally sidetracked.

The Score has some pretty good songs.

Everything Sucks by Vault Boy is a nice feel-good song.

Freaks by Jordyn Clarke makes me feel less alone.

Creature by Half-Alive is just… I can’t really describe it but it’s good.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I love a lot of very different genres, from heavy metal to jazz, but when I am working in my studio I mostly listen to lofi chill or video game music.

My favourite bands/artists include System of a Down, Muse en Stomae.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 6:21 AM, nisse said:

i do have spotify, but it's not a good support for smaller artists like alto said! so i always try to link their bandcamp, and buy music directly from them. 

Good for you. I also love music from smaller artists and i also have Bandcamp, but i won’t buy vinyls or CD’s. I know it’s very selfish of me, but i would much rather listening to music on streaming platforms(you can also stream music on Bandcamp). I can see the deal with it, and it’s great that you can support smaller artists and all that. But my way to support smaller artists is to stream their songs and that’s how it’s gonna be. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

been listening to a lot of hyperpop n pop, but i’ve also been listening to english covers of ashite ashite ashite by kikuo (mainly jubyphonic, will stetson n littlejayneycakes’ covers) n nerdcore, mainly cam steady n his pokemon rap cyphers

• Rock, of many kinds, especially 20th century rock bands.
  • Techno, new wave and particularly synth pop like a-ha.
  • Gorillaz, often a mix of hip-hop and electronic music and others.
  • Some ska and reggae too.
  • Aurelio Voltaire, "dark cabaret" Euro-folk music, known for his humorously morbid songs.
Edited by SkyTuneRein