do you feel like you have more in common with your single friends or with those in relationships?

Holmbo

At the moment, the single friends. To be honest though, as I am getting older there are very few of them and they are likely to be younger than me. If that difference grows I will probably end up having more in common with those in relationships.

I find having more in common to be far more a thing about age, social background, job, etc than whether someone is in a relationship.

Couples are not (usually) searching for someone but the other side of that is that they do tend to be focused on each other especially if they got together fairly recently.

20 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Single friends might like more like you but if they're very focused on finding a romantic relationship you might feel more kinship to those friends who are coupled and thus not searching.

Something interesting is that only a minority (~14%) of single people fit the stereotype of focussing on becoming coupled. Whilst the majority (~60%) are entirely uninterested. As shown in this recent survey.

IME both couple seeking and coupled people tend to have "couple mindset" which I can't relate to.

• Like 2

It depends on how much they speak of romance. Yesterday, a woman were talking about how she wished this guy was not gay because she is crushing on him and I thought "can't relate, girl". But if it is someone talking about her couple, that would be the same.

• Like 3

Hm, my current friendgroup has two people in long term relationships (one of which is my squish), and we relate just fine. Probably because they don't base their entire identity around their romantic relationships.

Edited by questdrivencollie
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2021 at 5:22 AM, questdrivencollie said:

Probably because they don't base their entire identity around their romantic relationships.

Yeah this, as long as it is like that I'm good, some ppl not so much so it depends.

• 1 year later...

I feel like I just have an easier time relating to friends not pursuing crushers, which is exactly why all my life I’ve been with the “nerd” group, they’re just more fun and can talk about random memes and stuff for hours. It’s honestly the best. XD

• 3 weeks later...

Really the only people I relate to are singles that aren't romance-centered, even if they're alloro, and people who may be in a relationship but have had prior experience in other relationships, where they realized that they didn't put much effort into their friendships and made to change that.