Aros and alcohol (poll)

Aros and alcohol  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I drink, but never enough to get drunk, and one is enough for me in any given outing. I'm more fascinated by trying new things, the cultural/historical side of drinks, and how creatively one can make them (which means that things like tea and coffee are just as interesting to me as alcoholic drinks). While I'll drink at a dinner or party with friends, I enjoy going out by myself more--prior to the pandemic, I would usually sit at the bar of a restaurant rather than at a table, although I disliked the possibility that someone might flirt with me, so it was never an ideal situation. Being at a coffeeshop where everyone is working/reading was often more comfortable.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:43 AM, mintly said:

(which means that things like tea and coffee are just as interesting to me as alcoholic drinks)

The variety and complexity of tea certainly rivals wine.

From a second flush Darjeeling to the white Silver Needle (Yin-Zhen) … it’s nearly unbelievable that this is the same plant.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently tried a Nigori sake (Nigori Genshu)… really, really, really liked that taste. And how it looks, like clouds. New favorite alcoholic drink!! Had 20% ABV though, so it really packed a punch…

• 1 month later...

As an aromantic(and also asexual), i do drink alcohol. But only in moderation, mostly because i don’t like the thought and idea of getting drunk. I only drink at family gatherings and parties, so i actually rarely drink alcohol. White wine and alcoholic drinks with flavors is my huge favorite ? 

I respect people who don’t drink. You don’t need to drink alcohol to have fun times. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 10:52 PM, roboticanary said:

No more white cider for me!

What’s that…? Never seen it, never heard of it. I read the description and it seems like the lowest of the low… very cheap UK cider in giant 3 l plastic bottles, high strength (~7% ABV). I only know the cider from Normandy (~3-4% ABV) and Hesse (~5% ABV) and those are not white. Is white cider even made from apples? ?

• Like 1

I drink, mainly white wine and mixed drinks. And I try to drink in moderation (a glass of wine a night for a few days in a row, or 2-3 on a weekend). Though there are a handful of times where I had too much :p

I like feeling tipsy, but about half the time alcohol just makes me tired/groggy.

I remember as soon as I turned 18 I wanted to try all the alcoholic drinks. Now I don't drink at all because I'm tired of my countries romantisation of alcohol dependency and constant 'joking' of alcoholism - Plus the taste isn't that great and I feel a bit buzzy after just one drink. I think this influenced my views from seeing my parents become smoking addicts over time and I don't want anything like that looming over me too.    

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, DeltaV said:

Is white cider even made from apples? ?

There were rumours it had meat in it when I was young. Probably false, in reality it is made of pure regret.

20 hours ago, Lovebird said:

I'm tired of my countries romantisation of alcohol dependency

Oh this is true. Where I'm from it is not the worst but it is still very uncomfortable seeing how expected drinking is, especially for young guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roboticanary said:

There were rumours it had meat in it when I was young. Probably false, in reality it is made of pure regret.

Oh this is true. Where I'm from it is not the worst but it is still very uncomfortable seeing how expected drinking is, especially for young guys.

And that's on being Australian. Addiction is not taken seriously at all. Peer pressure isn't really a thing here though thankfully, though you're considered kind of 'odd' if you haven't even had one pint. And from what I know, it seems young people don't drink as much as opposed to maybe 20 years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 1:40 AM, Lovebird said:

Plus the taste isn't that great and I feel a bit buzzy after just one drink.

Alcohol itself doesn’t really have a taste, it just burns. There are thousands of different alcoholic drinks in the world and it depends on the non-alcohol content how they taste.

On 10/27/2021 at 1:40 AM, Lovebird said:

I think this influenced my views from seeing my parents become smoking addicts over time and I don't want anything like that looming over me too.    

You can’t compare drugs that easily. Tobacco in the form of the modern cigarette is … well you know, highly addictive. Alcohol OTOH is the oldest recreational drug, so humanity has some experiences with it…

It’s a rather dull drug, though. Alcohol (ethanol) is an extremely simple molecule, that just causes a nonspecific effect of your brain going haywire.

You also need an ENORMOUS amount of ethanol to feel an effect. We’re talking 20 grams here. That amount of nearly any other recreational drug – including caffeine – would kill you.

Edited by DeltaV

On 11/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, DeltaV said:

Alcohol itself doesn’t really have a taste, it just burns. There are thousands of different alcoholic drinks in the world and it depends on the non-alcohol content how they taste.

You can’t compare drugs that easily. Tobacco in the form of the modern cigarette is … well you know, highly addictive. Alcohol OTOH is the oldest recreational drug, so humanity has some experiences with it…

It’s a rather dull drug, though. Alcohol (ethanol) is an extremely simple molecule, that just causes a nonspecific effect of your brain going haywire.

You also need an ENORMOUS amount of ethanol to feel an effect. We’re talking 20 grams here. That amount of nearly any other recreational drug – including caffeine – would kill you.

I wasn't saying tobacco and alcohol are literally the same, I'm saying being around family members has substantially affected my personal choice. Why do you care so much? 

16 hours ago, Lovebird said:

I wasn't saying tobacco and alcohol are literally the same, I'm saying being around family members has substantially affected my personal choice. Why do you care so much? 

Don’t worry, I don’t care that much about your personal opinion / lifestyle here. Drug policy is just a very interesting topic.

• 8 months later...

Over the last few months I have really got back into drinking beer and it is amazing how much better it is than when I was drinking as part of a social event. Lke, rather than everything is lager and you are encouraged to drink too much I just have something interesting maybe once a week or so. (I am going to become so insufferable)

just tried a really nice gose earlier this week, and its wonderful to just drink interesting things because you like the sound of their flavour.

same goes for a cherry and chocolate stout I tried last winter, which tasted like drinking a pudding. not a thing to have at a party but really quite nice for an afternoon.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 10:02 PM, roboticanary said:

Over the last few months I have really got back into drinking beer and it is amazing how much better it is than when I was drinking as part of a social event. Lke, rather than everything is lager and you are encouraged to drink too much I just have something interesting maybe once a week or so. (I am going to become so insufferable)

just tried a really nice gose earlier this week, and its wonderful to just drink interesting things because you like the sound of their flavour.

same goes for a cherry and chocolate stout I tried last winter, which tasted like drinking a pudding. not a thing to have at a party but really quite nice for an afternoon.

This is more or less where I am. I dont like most beers/largers but half decent ciders are tasty. A few weeks ago I had a 20yo single malt whiskey which was pretty good.

I might get a drink if I am out with friends, but equally I might not, theres no expectation of getting drunk anymore. I might have a drink in the evening if I feel like it, usually while I have something to watch and lounge around with while I drink it.

• Like 1