What are your life goals/plans?

Quinoa

1 hour ago, Lynx said:

I want the digital nomad lifestyle! I probably won't be jetting off halfway around the globe every six weeks, but I don't want to be tied to one place. Ideally I'd have a circle of close friends in different places that I could take extended visits to.

I was encouraged to have such a lifestyle too, but laziness and health are taking over... I can still 'travel inside the laptop', though :P 

1 hour ago, Lynx said:

I want to get over my foreign language speaking anxiety.

Or you can alternate between the Philippines, Fiji and Samoa to keep speaking English :P Learning languages is interesting, though.

6 minutes ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

Or you can alternate between the Philippines, Fiji and Samoa to keep speaking English :P Learning languages is interesting, though.

I could, but I genuinely really like learning languages, I just have the worst self confidence with using them! My main focus is Dutch, which you really don't need to survive or function in the Netherlands, I just like to suffer. I do also generally think Polynesian languages are pretty so I'd probably end up trying my hand at Fijian or Samoan anyway.

Dream life:

I'd love to life with friends in flat sharing. Everyone would contribute something. Among these friends, I'd like to have one very very close friend, QPP? A "bromance" so to speak. Someone who's really family without being blood-related or a romantic partner, with whom I can do stuff together, like go on vacation or plan stories/projects or craft costumes. I'd be able to talk to them on a neutral level, without fear of getting judged or minding my own words all the time. You know? Someone who'd share their life with me, but not out of romantic love (bromance really, just bromance). Sex depending on the kind of person but not entirely out of question, but really also not necessary at all.  Maybe even go so far as to marry for them legal benefits? Though that still sounds a bit "off" to me. 

I'd still like my own room though, and maybe some pets, maybe a dog and a balcony =) No kids though.

Apart from this one Bromance, I'd really still love to have others around, each in their own rooms just sharing a life together, doing their own things.

You know? A place you can always come back to. That's what I'd really like. A "home". 

That's the dream, but for now I'm content in getting a job at a game studio, getting better at my craft and moving to a city were at least SOME of my friends life, so I don't have to travel for hours before I see a friendly face. Because that will get more and more impossible, as soon as I work my 8 hours a day.

On 6/5/2016 at 8:33 PM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Aside from that, I want to help people discover the truth about their own orientation(s). However, I'm not really sure how to do that. When I came out on Facebook back in February, I expected to get tons of questions. I wanted people to come out of the woodwork and ask me more, and perhaps maybe some of them understood what I was saying. But, the general lack of responses has been a bit disappointing. On one hand, I am glad nobody is questioning this part of me, but on the other hand, I'm suspicious that nobody actually believes me. It also leaves me feeling a bit alone, that nobody I know on Facebook came and said "I think I might be aro or ace too, can we talk about this more?"

They might still. When I came out on facebook, I didn't have anyone come to me right away saying they realized they were ace or aro. A lot of people liked it, but like you, I was a little disappointed by the lack of questions or general interest. However, there were some people who realized they were ace awhile later. You also don't know how many people read your post and now know what it means, so next time someone comes out as ace or aro, they will know what it means. Or maybe if someone they know is trying to figure themselves out, they might point them in the right direction. Just having people who know what it means helps a lot. 

I like to remain flexible, so I don't have a set plan for my life. I used to try to plan everything out, but I realized that was making me unhappy.  When I stopped trying to control everything and let myself go off script a bit more, I felt so much freer.  Now I prefer to set attainable goals one at a time.  Right now my goal is to finish my MA successfully :D . I'm thinking I'll move to South Korea after that, but we'll see. I tend to get bored easily, and I have a feeling I'll be the type to have multiple careers in my lifetime, so I don't have a set career path I intend to follow.  I do have some general life goals:

• Continue traveling and live in at least five different countries (currently on number 3)
  • Eventually get a PhD
  • Become fluent or close to it in at least two other languages besides English (working on it) 
  • Write a book (not sure if this one will happen...)

Housing plans:

My house is likely to have two storeys. So what I intend to do is to knock down the ceiling - yes, the ceiling - assuming the rooms on the second floor align nicely with those on the first floor. So I'll have half as many rooms but each room will have twice the height. I have one room for my workshop where all the tinkering and building is going to take place, one room's the library (floor to ceiling shelves) and the last is be bedroom/study. And with all the space I have, I've going to install climbing stuff, like ropes and steps and bridges to get from ground level to the ceiling.

Fun.

Career plans.

• Undergrad at MIT
  • Graduate studies/PhD probably at MIT but I'm not sure yet.
  • Work at NASA. Research maybe?
  • Earn money.

Other plans:

• Speak all my target languages. Like eleventy-seven or something. But all of them.
  • Learn a second martial art, or a third
  • Visit all the London museums
  • Pick up the piano again
  • Seventeen cats. 

1 hour ago, Midnightrune said:

Housing  plans:

My house is likely to have two  storeys. So what I intend to do is to knock down the ceiling - yes, the ceiling - assuming the rooms on the second floor align nicely with those on the first floor. So I'll have half as many rooms but each room will have twice the height. I have one room for my workshop where all the tinkering and building is going to take place, one room's the library (floor to ceiling shelves) and the last is be bedroom/study. And with all the space I have, I've going to install climbing stuff, like ropes and steps and bridges to get from ground level to the ceiling.

Fun.

Career plans.

• Undergrad at MIT
  • Graduate studies/PhD probably at MIT but I'm not sure yet.
  • Work at NASA. Research maybe?
  • Earn money.

Other plans:

• Speak all my target languages. Like eleventy-seven or something. But all of them.
  • Learn a second martial art, or a third
  • Visit all the London museums
  • Pick up the piano again
  • Seventeen cats. 

Are...are you me from high school? Because I'm suddenly getting the uncanny impression that you're somehow me from high school. O.o Right down to the MIT thing and knowing a bunch of languages and becoming a crqzy cat person and wanting to work at a major research organization (though in my case it was CERN at that point, but astronomy might be looking more likely at this point anyway because who knows) and having a Vulcan profile picture. 

I did it! The combination cloning/time travel experiment worked! Of course, this is only one phase of a much grander scheme...today Arocalypse, tomorrow the world!!! Mwahahahahaha!!! 

1 minute ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Are...are you me from high school? Because I'm suddenly getting the uncanny impression that you're somehow me from high school. O.o Right down to the MIT thing and knowing a bunch of languages and becoming a crqzy cat person and wanting to work at a major research organization (though in my case it was CERN at that point, but astronomy might be looking more likely at this point anyway because who knows) and having a Vulcan profile picture. 

I did it! The combination cloning/time travel experiment worked! Of course, this is only one phase of a much grander scheme...today Arocalypse, tomorrow the world!!! Mwahahahahaha!!! 

Damn, I'm really sorry to burst your bubble but I am not evidence of the success of your experiments. Or actually, I might be, if I knew what your experiment parameters were. Does that make me Mini-Dodec now?

That's really cool though? There are seriously so few people I know of that are like me. Like literally more than three-fourths of my school are interested in social sciences/medicine/business and I'm like some stranger that rambles on about space travel and astrophysics. 

I'm probably just a person who is very similar to you, although the probability of such an occurrence seems to be quite low. :) If you don't mind me asking, how did it turn out? Because right now I'm kind of floundering in an attempt to succeed at life, and would very much like a little but of advice.

\V/, Live long and prosper

Right now, I want to pass my driver's license and get a diploma (something I always failed miserably because of my brain problems, but I hope to have the capacity to pass one). 

And then, I just want to restart and be happy. My relatives, the place where I live, my studies, almost everything failed, I don't want to keep that and be stuck in bad memories of the past like many people do. I just want to have a second chance and start something new, be free to enjoy life's pleasures and the present moment without worries, and maybe if I get the chance again, continue to contribute to research in the subjects that interest me and leave a nice little trace on Earth. How, that's secondary. I just want to be happy and make other's life happier as well. Life is too short and dangerous to worry about little details all the time.

10 hours ago, Midnightrune said:

Damn, I'm really sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not evidence of the success of your experiment.  Actually, I might be, if I knew what your experiment parameters were. Does that make me Mini-Dodec now?

That's really cool though? There are seriously so few people I know of that are like me. Like literally more than three-fourths of my school are interested in social sciences/medicine/business and I'm like some stranger that rambles on about space travel and astrophysics. 

I'm probably just a person who is very similar to you, although the probability of such an occurrence seems to be quite low. :) If you don't mind me asking, how did it turn out? Because right now I'm kind of floundering in an attempt to succeed at life, and would very much like a little but of advice.

\V/, Live long and prosper

I can certainly relate to being the random physics-obsessed person in the midst of the non-STEM masses/majority. Don't worry, college will make that much less of an issue, especially if you're planning on somewhere like MIT. (That didn't wind up working out for me, but instead I wound up going to a research university that likes to call itself a liberal arts school because it's something of a contradictory place like that, and I think that was the better place for me to wind up after all, so it just goes to show that you never really know quite where life's going to take you. That's probably the main thing iI would say to keep in mind, just from my own personal experience. When I was where you are now, I was certain that I was going to go to MIT and become the next Feynman because I'd been reading about theoretical physics since I was 10, and now just one year later I seem to have accidentally become an astronomer instead. (Speaking of which, never underestimate the power of extracurricular organizations--I joined the astronomical society basically on a whim at the beginning of the year because I heard they had a big telescope and wenrt on trips to places with bigger telescopes (and also at least a little bit because a certain famous astronomer was a founding member), and now because of that I got a research job that might wind up with me being published bty the end of the summer and I'm chief engineer of the club (which, again, was totally by accident, because I ran for something else and then got promoted when we didn't have enough people in the club to hold all the leadership positions). Of course, while all of this has been happening, I've also been coming to the realization that I'm not nearly as good at physics-physics as I expected because my high school physics education was a joke with respect to the way it's taught where I am now, so I also feel compelled to say that you should definitely be prepared for a pretty harsh reality check going from high school to undergrad because you can't really comprehend how much of a completely different game it is until you're already in the thick of it. If you're lucky, you'll be better prepared than me since I went to an underfunded public school. Not saying it's inevitable, but it's certainly likely. 

The main thing is just not letting the academic aspect of something get in the way of your passion for it. That might sound like kind of an odd thing to say now, because you're clearly a very academically-minded person in the first place, as am I, bur I suppose it's really just a matter of finding out what aspects of the field give you life and then how many joyless aspects are necessary to get between them, and ideally getting the ratio of the former to the latter as high as possible through study, acclimatization, shifting your focus (sometimes by a lot), or really just whatever works best for you.))

Live long and prosper, mini-Dodec :)

34 minutes ago, Quinoa said:

@Midnightrune, your cats will sure enjoy that house! 

That great! I know I will too, so they'll have competition! :)

@Dodecahedron314 Thanks for the advice! I can't say I know I'm going to MIT for sure, though, I'm just really hoping it'll work out. I think the culture shock happens to most undergrads anyway, although I'll definitely try to prepare myself. Also, congrats on getting published! That's like, wow.

\V/,

Make it to touring status as a musician. By that I mean headlining tours whenever I want. Which isn't the greatest musician feat but that's definitely making it.

• 1 year later...

I know there has been much agreement here about not drifting through life because YOLO buuuuuut basically my life goal is to be happy. 

I have some dream plans, but they are only there because I think they would make me happy, like building and living in a Dutch Colonial Revival house because I really like the line of the roof or getting a lip piercing because my favourite singer has one therefore it is the coolest. I and several friends have worked in palliative care and geez so many people have so many regrets, which mostly boil down to spending so much time chasing success and happiness that they forget to actually be happy. 

My main goal is to have a house of my own, even a one storey, one bedroom would do. I'd prefer two rooms though, maybe the spare room could be for gaming/crafting! :) I'd probably have a futon in the lounge for friends/family if they wanted to sleep over now and then.

I'm not planning to have children as I just don't have that urge to reproduce or adopt (my urge not to is stronger), though I may get pets of some kind - I love cats and dogs so maybe one of each?

I'd also like to get some graphic novels published - I haven't done anything about them yet, but I have a few ideas fleshed out.

Archived