(A)Sexuality Poll

Spud

(A)Sexuality  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was wondering what the majority of people on here identify as, sexuality-wise. I made this pretty general because if I added too many options, I feel it would water down the results. However, you can feel free to elaborate or comment below.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't really surprise me that asexual is the most at the moment, seeing as there are quite a few people who have come here from AVEN (it also seems that a lot of the most active people are from AVEN). It does make me wonder though, do you think there's a significant difference between the numbers of asexual and allosexual aromantics in general?

26 minutes ago, RedNeko said:

It doesn't really surprise me that asexual is the most at the moment, seeing as there are quite a few people who have come here from AVEN (it also seems that a lot of the most active people are from AVEN). It does make me wonder though, do you think there's a significant difference between the numbers of asexual and allosexual aromantics in general?

I don't think that's a huge difference as it looks so far. Definitely one of the main things I'm looking forward to finding out when this site grows. 

7 hours ago, RedNeko said:

Right now, there seems to be a far greater number of asexuals, but as seen from the "where are you from" poll, most people are from AVEN. And AVEN is obviously full of asexuals… But I think as the site grows, if we continue this poll, we could get some interesting results and see if there is a correlation if people outside of AVEN come here.

2 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

I don't get this poll. Shouldn't there just be one question with all of the options?

That would be… a lot of options, would it not? And I didn't want there to be too many categories.

7 hours ago, RedNeko said:

That's so hard to say. But I also think that awareness of romantic orientations is more common in the ace community than in the general world. 

Agreed though that AVEN is a major contributor to the number of people currently. Hoping this will change eventually though. 

2 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

Having a question for direction and one for magnitude was a very good idea :)

Coordinates with right ascension and declination, and apparent or absolute magnitude ? :P (sorry, I couldn't help it)

1 hour ago, Rising Sun said:

Coordinates with right ascension and declination, and apparent or absolute magnitude ? :P (sorry, I couldn't help it)

Umm... I was referring to vector measurements which as well as being an amount, are an amount in a certain direction.

e.g. Every second, an aro-ally gets 2m closer to me, he is moving at -2m/s (it's negative because it's toward me, not away)

Here, direction is the gender you're attracted to (if applicable) and magnitude is the intensity with allo at the top and ace at the bottom. Yes I'm explaining this.

1 hour ago, Rising Sun said:

23 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

Umm... I was referring to vector measurements which as well as being an amount, are an amount in a certain direction.

e.g. Every second, an aro-ally gets 2m closer to me, he is moving at -2m/s (it's negative because it's toward me, not away)

Here, direction is the gender you're attracted to (if applicable) and magnitude is the intensity with allo at the top and ace at the bottom. Yes I'm explaining this.

How about instead of using Euclidean vectors, we just say that we're using a generic ordered pair of integers, or an imaginary number? Perhaps we're changing the coefficients of a quadratic? The "direction" part of a Euclidean vector doesn't really make sense in this context.

Tenatively grey & bi, but also possibly sex-indifferent asexual with a curious experimental, scientific approach to these things.

EDIT: So yeah I'm just straight-up asexual. Turns out I'm not having sex with you because you're attractive, I'm having sex because it's fun, and I always figured I was bi just because I don't care what your gender or equipment is.

On 8/4/2016 at 10:22 PM, Vega said:

That's so hard to say. But I also think that awareness of romantic orientations is more common in the ace community than in the general world. 

Agreed though that AVEN is a major contributor to the number of people currently. Hoping this will change eventually though. 

Yes agreed.

In my experience aromantism is almost only mention either in Ace comunities or when people talk About ace topics.

also there are the misunderstanding that allo-aros dont exist or you cant be aro unless you are ace. (somethimes its also put in the misunderstanding that aro and ace are the same) 

when I first tried to find other aro people the place to look where on ace groups and so on. nowhere else is aromantic really mentioned. And at the first ace group I found (not aven btw) the decribtion of an aro person was something along the line:

"aromantic is bla bla bla bla..............it's still unsure whenever or not sexual aromantic exist" another time I asked a person who talked about asexuality if people could be sexual-non-asexual* (did not know the word for aromantic) and someone said it was just being a player.

35 minutes ago, Natkat said:

Yes agreed.

In my experience aromantism is almost only mention either in Ace comunities or when people talk About ace topics.

also there are the misunderstanding that allo-aros dont exist or you cant be aro unless you are ace. (somethimes its also put in the misunderstanding that aro and ace are the same) 

when I first tried to find other aro people the place to look where on ace groups and so on. nowhere else is aromantic really mentioned. And at the first ace group I found (not aven btw) the decribtion of an aro person was something along the line:

"aromantic is bla bla bla bla..............it's still unsure whenever or not sexual aromantic exist" another time I asked a person who talked about asexuality if people could be sexual-non-asexual* (did not know the word for aromantic) and someone said it was just being a player.

There's definitely an issue regarding people mixing up asexuality and aromanticism, or grouping them together. I was lucky enough to be both, and if I wasn't, I have a feeling that I would still think I was straight today. I learned about asexuality through a site that kind of grouped them together and said stuff like "you could be asexual if you never had a crush or didn't understand romance." If I was alloromantic, I would have disregarded being ace right there.

On 08/04/2016 at 9:22 PM, Vega said:

Did the concept of "romantic orientation" originate within the ace community?

I wonder if aro aces and aro allos tend to respond differently to amatonorimativity.

52 minutes ago, Mark said:

Did the concept of "romantic orientation" originate within the ace community?

I wonder if aro aces and aro allos tend to respond differently to amatonorimativity.

I have no idea. It's possible? I think it's more generally relevant within the ace community than the rest of the world. At least in the sense that it's more noticeable when someone has no sexual attraction than when they are, for example, heteroromantic but bisexual. 

But I'm interested if anyone knows the answer. 

No idea to that either, but it would be an interesting question. 

I definitely think the concept of romantic orientations is much more common in the ace community, and that likely impacts the number of aro allosexuals represented here and elsewhere.  From what I know, a similar concept ("affectional attraction" which was coined by Lisa Diamond in the early 2000s, I think ) existed outside of the ace community either slightly before or around the same time as the notion of romantic orientation emerged. But I believe the specific term "romantic orientation" was if not created certainly popularized by the ace community.  This old AVEN thread discusses it a little.  All of this is based on various things I've read, but I'm honestly not too sure about accuracy. 

On 2016. 04. 16. at 7:24 PM, PerformativeSurprise said:

I definitely think the concept of romantic orientations is much more common in the ace community, and that likely impacts the number of aro allosexuals represented here and elsewhere.

And maybe the LGBTQ+ community. I literally haven't seen any allo aros who were heterosexual and cis.

3 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

And maybe the LGBTQ+ community. I literally haven't seen any allo aros who were heterosexual and cis.

I've seen maybe two or three. They don't seem very common, especially when you look at the numbers in the poll. Heterosexual people would be way less likely to be in the LGBTQ+ community or ace community unless they have friends who are in it. That's definitely an impact, so it is important to spread awareness and maybe help more people figure out if they are aromantic.

its very difficult for hetrosexual to reach aro awareness since most aro awareness are within the ace space and the rest within the lgbt+ space.

--

I dont think romantic attraction / sexual attraction as seperated are an ace thing only. I have also found it in the bi-comunity. however I will say its WAY more common topic in Ace space than any other lgbt+ space. I feel in the gay comunity if you are gay then people expect you are both homoromantic and homosexual, simular with straight and so on. With non-mono orientations its alittle more awareness because not everyone identify as bi/pan/etc on a equal 50% way, but its pretty common that some are ex more sexual or romantic attracted to one gender or another, and I also think split orientation would find themself more common in bi-comunities than in the straight and gay ones.

I did have the experience my bi-comunity did reconize these difference, like when they write out their folders they say words like bisexual/biromantic instead of just bisexual, they also had learned about asexuality which might had infected their way of thinking, however I dont know it they had aro awareness but it were a start at least.

-

On 16/4/2016 at 7:04 PM, Mark said:

I doubt there to be a huge difference,

But I do think some of the stuggles allos and ace experience are different.

Archived