(A)Sexuality Poll

Spud

(A)Sexuality  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Didn't take much to conclude that being on my own sucked a little less than trying to be coupled. With passing for "normal" never really being an option anyway.

Yes, that is the point, surpressing one aspect of you to fit the mould seems to be more appealing if you otherwise consider yourself a so called normal person. If you are more used to not being what people picture as the typical average person, one more thing on the list of unusual isn't really going to make a difference. 

For herd mentality to work, one needs to feel like they are one of the group. If you are alienated from others already, the group is a 'them' not an 'us', so whatever they do affects your judgement less.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

There's the idea that amantonormative relationships are more "mature". A few other posters have described opportunities for other forms of relationships becoming rarer the older they get.

What I was trying to refer to isn't the maturity level, but actual responsibilities and commitments holding people back. Realising you are aro after you had married, had kids, share finances and a mortgage.. its a lot harder to accept it and to start to live an authentic life. For example, there are low income single mothers who are forced to look for a partner as a way of survival. Amatonormativity isn't just a social pressure, but can be for example financial as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/8/2016 at 6:51 AM, RedNeko said:

It does make me wonder though, do you think there's a significant difference between the numbers of asexual and allosexual aromantics in general?

I think there is. The majority in each group seem to have matching sexual & romantic orientation - homo/homo, bi/bi, etc - so it stands to reason that ace/aro would be more common too. Crossed sexual vs romantic orientation is somewhat more unusual.

Archived