Five Love Languages

Mark

I recently came across this idea there's a quiz available form here.
Which, fortunately, does not appear to be that romance centric.
Though many of the other things you can find about the subject are :(
I got

Words of affirmation: 0
Quality time: 7
Receiving gifts: 3
Acts of service: 10
Physical touch: 10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is actually the best quality quiz that I've seen on the subject. When I was hiking with a good friend of mine, we talked about love languages a lot - it's interesting, and I find that it certainly helps to understand the different ways people give and receive love.

My Scores:

Physical Touch - 11

Quality Time - 9

Acts of Service - 5

Words of Affirmation - 5

Receiving Gifts - 0

• Like 1

that was interesting

and I think my answers are interesting, I hadn't realised that the "I'm proud of you" comment was such a turn off for me until it came up. Really I think my words of affirmation score should be 0, just because I was stuck choosing between two bad choices for a couple of statement sets. 

11 Quality Time

8 Acts of Service

5 Physical Touch

4 Receiving Gifts

2 Words of Affirmation

Though for quality time they say 

In Quality Time, nothing says “I love you” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—

I know I show love by cooking for people so if the knife and fork go down I get distracted by thoughts of rejection, and the best quality time activity is debating documentaries and bonding over TV and movies. I'b probably get the heebie jeebies from full 100% attention with unbroken eye contact and a smile and nod reaction to my words. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 Quality Time
8 Words of Affirmation
6 Acts of Service
4 Physical Touch
2 Receiving Gifts

I kinda wanted to choose neither when gifts and touching came up because that's really not important for me most of the time.

On 2017-12-05 at 6:53 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

Though for quality time they say 

I know I show love by cooking for people so if the knife and fork go down I get distracted by thoughts of rejection, and the best quality time activity is debating documentaries and bonding over TV and movies. I'b probably get the heebie jeebies from full 100% attention with unbroken eye contact and a smile and nod reaction to my words. 

:D
I agree. I also think some of the best conversations can be when you're doing something else at the same time and not looking at each other. It takes the pressure of it.

• Like 1

My results:

9 - Words of Affirmation

8 - Physical Touch

7 - Quality Time

5 - Acts of Service

1 - Receiving Gifts

Didn't expect affirmation to be that high up. I guess either it means something different than what I thought it meant, or they just kept listing it as the other choice to the gifts option or something.

I got:

9   Words of Affirmation

8   Quality Time

6   Acts of Service

4   Physical Touch

2   Receiving Gifts

I can see why I have the numbers I do. I think it would change if I was close to someone in particular, or had known my friends longer (which I think would lower my Words of Affirmation score, and increase Quality Time and Physical Touch).

10 Words of Affirmation

8 Quality Time

6 Physical Touch

3 Acts of Service

3 Receiving Gifts

... I don't wanna say that this is heavily influenced by me having a praise kink... But it is. It so definitely is. I'm gonna go ahead and kinkshame myself now, I'm so sorry. 

• 1 year later...

10 Acts of Service

9 Quality Time

5 Words of Affirmation

4 Physical Touch

2 Receiving Gifts

Result + Definition:

Acts of Service
Can helping with homework really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most wants to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter. When others serve you out of love (and not obligation), you feel truly valued and loved.
Quality Time Quality Time
In Quality Time, nothing says “I love you” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes you feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed activities, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful. Whether itʼs spending uninterrupted time talking with someone else or doing activities together, you deepen your connection with others through sharing time.
Words of Affirmation Words of Affirmation
Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important— hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten. You thrive on hearing kind and encouraging words that build you up.
Physical Touch Physical Touch
A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, and thoughtful touches on the arm—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive. Appropriate and timely touches communicate warmth, safety, and love to you.
Receiving Gifts Receiving Gifts
Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures. Gifts are heartfelt symbols to you of someone else's love and affection for you.
  • Like 1