Sexuality and Finger Lengths

aussiekirkland

I totally forgot this existed, and decided to double check out of curiousity. My left ring finger is 83mm, which is 5mm longer than my left index finger, 2mm longer than my right index and same length as right ring.

On 04/05/2017 at 3:22 AM, Star Girl said:

I am very skeptical that this is actually true... for one, because I have heard of the "If your ring finger is longer than your index finger, then you are A; if your index is longer than your ring, then B" in another context before that wasn't to do with orientation.  I would like to see a reference to the study, know their sample size, method, and how statistically significant their result was.

The first article I found was trying to relate this to motor neurone disease.
The odd thing is that this study was carried out by psychiatrists, rather than neurologists or endocrinologists.
The whole idea goes by the name Manning hypothesis. An article here questions if this is valid.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark said:

The first article I found was trying to relate this to motor neurone disease.
The odd thing is that this study was carried out by psychiatrists, rather than neurologists or endocrinologists.
The whole idea goes by the name Manning hypothesis. An article here questions if this is valid.

Interesting articles, although if the second one holds true, that brings into question the conclusions of the first study, beyond the other large issues with the experiment.  

Did this whole sexuality/finger length thing come about because of some theory linking fetal testosterone to sexuality then?  That would make it more logical... 

Ah, I've found the Wikipedia article that has to do with this and it looks like there are other studies more specific to sexuality; there is a whole section on things that a lower or higher ratio (index:ring) between finger lengths has been found or suggested to correspond to in various studies... The fact that both lower and higher mathematical abilities supposedly corresponds to a lower ratio does not help convince me that there is very much to go on for most of these factors.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎22 at 2:25 AM, aussiekirkland said:

So I know there's been studies done about the length of your index and ring finger corresponding to your sexuality with gay men typically having longer index fingers, straight men with longer ring fingers, straight women with even finger lengths and lesbians with longer ring fingers. I was wondering how this data fits the aromantic community so post your data in the comments :P

This is all in good fun so I'll kick this off: I'm an aromantic asexual woman and my ring finger is longer than my index finger.

I'm a gray-ro ace female, and my ring finger is ever-so-slightly longer than my index finger. If it means I'm somewhere between hetero and gay then it might be right. I'm thinking I'm either pan or hetero, hard to know when you've only experienced feelings twice. Like looking at surveys with only two results. Not enough information.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cis Female Aro Heterogray-a here and my fingers are about the same, I don't think the science is worth me getting a ruler from across the room to get mm specific. One interesting study being done in India about fingers which seems amazingly awesome is identifying fingerprints of small children as they can help identify individuals who will have tooth issues.

On 23/09/2016 at 3:24 AM, Dodgypotato said:

Hahaha I can't believe a team of reseachers actually bothered to do a study about this! It must have been an extra thing they just noticed with some random other study... Right??

pretty much how most (biological) science is done. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my ring finger is longer. (bi, aro, cis-female)

i'm pretty positive that the "digit ratio" thing is related to how much androgen a fetus got exposed to in the womb, so people with a small digit ratio (longer ring finger) are more traditionally masculine (aggressive, systematic, not very good at expressing emotions and so on). there are some articles online, if anyone's interested in reading more about it. btw, there's a wikipedia page on it, with many references, correlations and all that.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chandrakirti

Ring and index fingers on left hand are equal in length but on the right hand the ring to get is longer than the I was finger. Agendered aroace here.

• 11 months later...