Am I a bad Aro for liking Sapphic and Achillean romance?

BlueMycena

I asked this question on reddit, but I thought this might be a better place to share my worries. I can not stand straight romance in media, that sh*t makes me want to gag, but I do enjoy same sex romance in literature and media. A lot of the time I feel like a bad Aro for liking Sapphic and Achillean romance in media, like I’m feeding into amatonormativity by liking romance in media at all. Am I crazy for feeling this?

Nope, liking romance in the media, no matter the kind is totally fine. It’s not feeding into amatanormativity, in fact it’s breaking the romance-repulsed stereotype. It’s entirely based off of attraction to people romantically, not on if you like that stuff, though often it’s a sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why would that make you a bad aro? “Aromantic” means “doesn’t/rarely experiences romantic attraction”, not “is homophobic” or “has some burning hatred of the concept of romance”. If people are telling you it’s wrong to like gay romance you can tell them the Reagan administration called, they want their philosophy back

Edited by Jot-Aro Kujo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Why would that make you a bad aro? “Aromantic” means “doesn’t/rarely experiences romantic attraction”, not “is homophobic” or “has some burning hatred of the concept of romance”. If people are telling you it’s wrong to like gay romance you can tell them the Reagan administration called, they want their philosophy back

Okay, that last part legitimately made me smile. Seriously, if someone’s telling them that then I don’t know what to say but the homophobia has gotta be real.

My, oh my, that's a real problem! Good aros nurse their hatred to all things romantic. Keep themselves pure, don't yield an inch to romo. Don't you know?

Confess your wrongdoings here:

How are You a 'Bad' Aromantic Spectrum Person?

... hey, why does this have scare quotes around the bad...? 🤨

• Haha 5

I like 'straight' romances and I'm still arospec. What you like doesn't have a basis on your orientation, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they're just a (gatekeeping) fool.

• Thanks 1

I love romances (to a certain degree, depends on how it's written), and although there are the few straight romances I like, I do tend to lean way more heavily into gay romances, as well. You're not a "bad" aro for liking romances, it's just a way to engage and like a specific type of genre or media. Besides, amatonormativity is the belief/assumption/etc that romance and romantic relationships are what "everyone strives for," and although romance can have that in it's media, there is romance without it out there. Yes, amatonormativity exists because of assumptions regarding romance and certain types of relationships, but romance, I wouldn't say, is inherently amatonormative.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roboticanary said:

This is bad news for me, I like stories about murder

Same, I love murder mystery books!

Reading your guy's replies made me realize I was being paranoid, thank you. 

• Like 1

Nah. Just like some aces like to write and read smut (one of my friends falls into this category), some aros like to write and read romance. Just cuz you like stuff in fiction doesn't mean you like it irl.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...