Does this forum support objectum attraction?

Objectum attraction is the attraction to objects, concepts, and basically anything that isn’t living. Like any other attraction type, it can be sexual, romantic, alterous, platonic, or pretty much any other sublabel. I currently don’t know with 100% certainty what form of objectum attraction I experience, so I call myself objectum oriented. The majority of objectums are animist. They believe that everything has a soul or an energy. Autism and synesthesia are also extremely common, as they can cause projection of emotions onto inanimate objects. Most objects see the object they give signs of attraction to (whether sexual, romantic, or platonic) as able to understand that they are being given affection and feel happy about it. Anything can be a objectum’s partner, including locations, forces of nature, and abstract concepts. You also don’t need to have or want a partner to be objectum (I identify with the community more so due to my autistic object personification and don’t know if I want a partner.) It is very stigmatized for a lot of reasons. That’s why I’m asking how the forum is about it before posting more about it. It does relate to my aromanticism and I want to be able to discuss it. If it’s not welcome, I guess I can look elsewhere. I’m sorry, I’m just a little paranoid.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of this before. I mean it sounds a bit strange but I’ll try to understand. So it’s basically like wanting stuff really bad? Idk I’m probably grossly misunderstanding this.

Just now, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I mean I suppose it depends on the person. I don’t particularly care either way myself, but the forums isn’t a hivemind, yknow? So idk if there’s an answer really. 

It would be cool though, if all aro’s were connected via hivemind and we could give advice constantly. That’d be AWESOME.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

What... the uhhh... errr.r... r. 😕😟 huh?

are you okay? maybe you should get that checked out, Idk

Can I politely ask you why you think I should? You can share your thoughts, I won’t attack you.

I don't know how someone could be attracted to an object, like yes a 3 year old with a comfort blanket but genuinely being attracted to an object I'm just confused.

also the first thing i thought about when i looked into it was this 

Edited by SwiftySpeedy

You know, it’s possible to not understand something and just say “I don’t understand this, could you explain it to me?” instead of immediately going “Wow there’s something wrong with you! You must be mentally unwell!!”

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

You know, it’s possible to not understand something and just say “I don’t understand this, could you explain it to me?” instead of immediately going “Wow there’s something wrong with you! You must be mentally unwell!!”

100% agree. I don’t have the time or mental energy to do a lot of explaining right now, but maybe later. In the meantime, can everyone voice their thoughts without being honestly kind of rude?

I was rereading the ToS the other day and I think this applies to the conversation: "Making judgments about other users, especially about the validity of their sexual or romantic orientation or their choice of labels, is strongly discouraged. We are here to figure ourselves out, not to put each other in boxes." (Emphasis added. Section 2.f)

Like Alex said, not all of us share the same views. Personally, this is the first time I've heard of it and based on how you explain it I don't have anything against it! It'd be interesting to learn more about it, but I can't contribute much I guess :/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I’m sorry, I really hope that I didn’t come off that way, I just don’t fully understand it and would be fully open to explanation. I’ll do a bit of research on the subject if I can and I really don’t mean to sound rude.

3 hours ago, DragonWithAQuest said:

Objectum attraction is the attraction to objects, concepts, and basically anything that isn’t living.

I've heard of objectum attraction before. While I don't think I experience it, I do feel like I understand where it's coming from and why you might feel that way. I can't remember where I heard about it, I feel like it was on AVEN (but maybe it was you who mentioned it)

Anyway I don't mind you discussing it but that's just me. However, even if it's stigmatized, that doesn't mean you can't discuss it

theres a wikipage abt it on the lgbtq wiki i usually use so thats relieving [its wikipage]. idrc abt what type of attraction u exp to what things; but even if u explain ill never fully understand it bc im anattractional. atp the concept of attraction is foreign to me but im chill w wtv attraction u exp as long as its good faith 

I've heard of objectum attraction before, and although I don't experience it, I think I can see where you're coming from since I'm austistic and found that when I was younger I often personified objects as well - but I know that that's not the only experience to objectum attraction that there is, potentially. And besides, I can only understand something I don't experience, so much y'know? But I would be willing to learn more about it, for the attraction sounds interesting! Of course, only if you want to explain, since you shouldn't have that pressure put onto you. And as someone else stated, even though people stigmatize this attraction, the topic of objectum attraction can still be discussed since it's valid, and tbh I think anything outside of what's considered "The Norm" is stigmatized anyway; aspec people, gay people, mspec people, trans people, gender non-conforming people, otherkin, etc.

This also reminds me though, of the aro-spec identity autoromantic (not saying that objectum is the same thing as it, of course not) where you feel romantic attraction towards yourself and nobody else, and the ace-spec equivalent is autosexual, where you experience sexual attraction towards yourself and nobody else, and those identities were considered to be "narcissistic" or that something was wrong with people with those identities, when there wasn't! And genuine narcissism isn't an attraction to yourself, and that definition where it states an attraction of oneself is a rather outdated way of explaining it. People who are auto don't hold a sense of entitlement or self-importance, they just experience a different way of feeling attraction.

• Like 1

I'm not objectum myself but I've been aware of it for a long time and am a supporter. You should be free to talk about it here and if someone gives you shit, it's their problem tbh.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 1

I'm familiar with the concept, not sure if there is an official stance among the staff. My view is your business is your business - not mine, not that guy over there, just yours'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Collie said:

My view is your business is your business

this exactly. I hadn't heard of it before, but it seems harmless and honestly quite neat of a concept. You certainly wouldn't be unwelcome here for talking about it and how it relates to aromanticism, at least if my experiences here over the past few years are anything to go off of.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sad aro said:

Sounds like you're talking about fetishism, which is an orientation just as valid as anyone else. I guess a fetish can be romantic too.

no, it's not that

i see the comparison but this isn't just like "fetish for objects" or something

anyways as for the topic i support it 100%. i find different approaches to attraction and such really interesting and i try not to stigmatize anything for being "weird" because the entire point of queer is that it's "weird"

coming into new ideas like this is what helps me widen my own view of the subject and i very much appreciate that

• Like 1