Nicknames!

Philbo Wiseroot

I have a roommate whose hobby is coming up with nicknames for me. My name IRL is Morgan, and so far I've gotten Morgs, Morgoth, Smorgasborgan, and La Fey--the last one of which is actually amusingly relevant because that's where my name came from in the first place :D 

Online, I've been pretty successful at getting people to call me Dodec, because honestly, who wants to go to the trouble of typing out Dodecahedron314 every time they refer to me? A friend on Transyada also calls me Dode (like dude, but dodecahedral ;)).

For the longest time, I was called Angel in my online community because it was part of my username. I created it when I was eleven or twelve years old, and I had since changed it after a few years, but the name stuck. That's what everyone knew me as. I was a moderator on a popular forum on fanfiction.net before it died xD I still have a few people on my facebook from there who probably think of me more an Angel than anything else. Now I go by the current username you see here, usually Saber if anyone asks. Otherwise, I really don't have nicknames. My name is Paige, so there aren't a whole lot of ways to shorten that. I do hear a lot of lame book jokes though.

My mom calls me Paigey poo, and my brother will call me Paigey sometimes, but nobody else is allowed ;p

11 hours ago, LunarSeas said:

Most of my early online life was on yahoo (fuck I'm old), and I always had Luna as a part of my sn, so it stuck, and to this day some people on Facebook call me Luna. xD

Luna is an awesome name! She's my favourite Harry Potter character! Her or Neville or Lupin. :D

23 minutes ago, Saber_Wing said:

For the longest time, I was called Angel in my online community because it was part of my username. I created it when I was eleven or twelve years old, and I had since changed it after a few years, but the name stuck. That's what everyone knew me as. I was a moderator on a popular forum on fanfiction.net before it died xD I still have a few people on my facebook from there who probably think of me more an Angel than anything else. Now I go by the current username you see here, usually Saber if anyone asks. Otherwise, I really don't have nicknames. My name is Paige, so there aren't a whole lot of ways to shorten that. I do hear a lot of lame book jokes though.

My mom calls me Paigey poo, and my brother will call me Paigey sometimes, but nobody else is allowed ;p

Fanfiction.net is dead? >:(

I usually go by Puffles online most of the time, but I kinda wanna change that to Kai/Kaiger because of how awesome that is.

14 minutes ago, Pufflehugs04 said:

Luna is an awesome name! She's my favourite Harry Potter character! Her or Neville or Lupin. :D

I usually go by Puffles online most of the time, but I kinda wanna change that to Kai/Kaiger because of how awesome that is.

No, just the forum, don't worry :D

On 11 September 2016 at 11:16 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

I have a roommate whose hobby is coming up with nicknames for me. My name IRL is Morgan, and so far I've gotten Morgs, Morgoth, Smorgasborgan, and La Fey--the last one of which is actually amusingly relevant because that's where my name came from in the first place :D 

I would call you Morgana because she's a really cool character (not to mention stunning) and Merlin is my favourite show.

Online everyone calls me Aussie, since I have the same username on almost every website (also it's a Hetalia reference). It works because I'm usually the token Aussie in the conversation :P

My name is technically Deeana but everyone has called me Dee for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately if I reveal my actual name then (fully fledged) adults will refuse to call me Dee which happens a lot and is extremely frustrating because they always say/spell it wrong and I feel like they don't respect me.

The flip side to this is that my nickname used to invoke a lot of teasing while I was at school. I can't tell you how many times I used to hear "abc DEEEEE" or Deadrie or the d jokes. 

One of my friends started calling me Deedles for a while but it never stuck. Wow I ramble a lot :facepalm:

3 hours ago, aussiekirkland said:

I would call you Morgana because she's a really cool character (not to mention stunning) and Merlin is my favourite show.

Online everyone calls me Aussie, since I have the same username on almost every website (also it's a Hetalia reference). It works because I'm usually the token Aussie in the conversation :P

My name is technically Deeana but everyone has called me Dee for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately if I reveal my actual name then (fully fledged) adults will refuse to call me Dee which happens a lot and is extremely frustrating because they always say/spell it wrong and I feel like they don't respect me.

The flip side to this is that my nickname used to invoke a lot of teasing while I was at school. I can't tell you how many times I used to hear "abc DEEEEE" or Deadrie or the d jokes. 

One of my friends started calling me Deedles for a while but it never stuck. Wow I ramble a lot :facepalm:

Come to Discord! Then you Aussies will outnumber the rest of us :P 

I would probably call @Dodecahedron314 Morgana too for have same reason. 

I like your name, Dee. And it sucks that you got jokes about the alphabet growing up, and that people don't use the correct name/spell it right. 

On 15/09/2016 at 0:34 PM, aussiekirkland said:

One of my friends started calling me Deedles for a while but it never stuck

Sounds too close to needles for comfort :P

I'd say that I'm pretty good at coming up with nicknames. Dee can testify to this. We've been coming up with nicknames for all the songs we have to work on at uni that we're sick of (Moretumn Leaves, Rubber Ducky Time, Donesy, No Point Living Anymore... and much more at a store near you!).

3 hours ago, brsajo said:

Sounds too close to needles for comfort :P

I'd say that I'm pretty good at coming up with nicknames. Dee can testify to this. We've been coming up with nicknames for all the songs we have to work on at uni that we're sick of (Moretumn Leaves, Rubber Ducky Time, Donesy, No Point Living Anymore... and much more at a store near you!).

I forgot about Rubber Ducky Time! Also can we call Bye Bye Blackbird Bye Bye WAAPA or Bye Bye Sanity or something?

Also don't forget about the McFlurry haha

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/09/2016 at 5:14 PM, Kaiger Pufflehugs IV said:

I was kinda successful. Some people now call me Kai!

Offline I'm often called Mandy, which is a shortening of Amanda. I'm not all that fond of either :P

Online it's usually Danny, from DannyFenton123. That or TPC, which is a shortening of ToothPasteCanyon which is an alternate username I use. My favourite is Danny.

1 hour ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Offline I'm often called Mandy, which is a shortening of Amanda. I'm not all that fond of either :P

Online it's usually Danny, from DannyFenton123. That or TPC, which is a shortening of ToothPasteCanyon which is an alternate username I use. My favourite is Danny.

You're definitely a Danny, Danny. And from what I remember, you and Danny Phantom have similar haircuts ?

7 hours ago, Dodgypotato said:

Hi, Kai - I'm Dodgy/Dodgypot/Potato/Bri

Dodgypot sounds like what happens when someone wants all of the cannabis profits ?

Hey Bri! I miss you on Discord!

Well IRL it's just Louis. Online it's normally Louis but when talking to strangers it's Hypothetical or Métro (short for MetroMiner21 which was my online name before 2015 and is still my reddit name). Older ones include Lou-Roll and just my surname because many people are called Louis where I live.

I can't say that I had a lot of nicknames growing up. My birth name wasn't easily reducible, not without sounding awkward. One person used to add another word to my birth name that rhymed in high school, but it didn't stick. My first percussion teacher thought I was Asian when I first met him (don't ask how; I'm blond-haired/green-eyed and look very unambiguously European) and even after I said I wasn't, he took to calling me "Po" because of the popularity of the Kung Fu Panda movie at the time.

Online, I used to use Minuet and Musette depending on name availability, but switched to Mezzo Forte after coming out to myself as trans since it felt less effeminate. 

With my chosen name, I think people feel less inclined to come up with nicknames because I explicitly asked to be called by that name. My best friend jokes about sometimes calling me by the nickname of a fictional character with the same name as me, but that joke has mostly just became part of a code phrase I used to give my friends if there was any doubt about whether to use my birth or chosen name. 

P.S. All this talk of Discord exclusively makes me think of Discord Comics, especially because Tab's work is so queer focused. Heck, there's even an aromantic Minority Monster strip :P

10-Dame-Sonatina.jpg

My family, family friends, co-workers and relatives call me by my nickname (Karn). First name (Ana) by schoolmates and acquaintances. I was named after a classic literary character.

Archived