Could there be any other factors that go into someone being aromantic or asexual?

la insula y el nucleo estriado son las responsables del romantisismo y el deseo sexual en nuestros cerebros talvez nosotro, no los tengamos o estas partes simplemente trabajen de manera diferente a como normalmente deberian trabajar 

I did some some more research and maybe it's the limbic system being messed up. because the Insula seems to do nothing that relates to romance. While the striatum seems just seems to be motor movements and reward sectors.

I did a bit more research and according to Britannica, "A dysfunctional limbic system is associated with several conditions and clinical disorders such as epilepsy, dementia, anxiety disorders, and autism."  Although there are aromantic people that don't suffer from these disorders, So could it be a hormone deficiency or something along those lines?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

Investigué un poco más y tal vez sea el sistema límbico el que está fallando. porque la Insula parece no hacer nada que se relacione con el romance. Mientras que el cuerpo estriado parece ser solo movimientos motores y sectores de recompensa.

Investigué un poco más y, según Britannica, "un sistema límbico disfuncional está asociado con varias afecciones y trastornos clínicos como la epilepsia, la demencia, los trastornos de ansiedad y el autismo". Aunque hay personas arrománticas que no sufren de estos trastornos, entonces, ¿podría ser una deficiencia hormonal o algo por el estilo?

si probablemente sea una deficiencia hormonal despues de todo el amor no son solo reacciones quimicas en nuestros cerebros

15 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

¿Realmente importa?

no, solo somos quienes somos, pero me es divertido investigar cosas respecto a este tema y actualmente tengo algo de tiempo libre asi que por que no?

There’s a whole label (acoro-) that means: “Is someone whose negative experiences with romance has alienated them from Allo-Romanticism” another one is one that relates to being Neurodivergent and that affecting your romantic attraction .

Essentially, I identify with Acororomantic a bit and I don’t think it makes up the entirety of my Aromanticism for others, that may be different and that is entirely fine! Others may feel that past experiences with romance may have brought them to be Aro-spec/Ace-spec, which I don’t believe make them any less Aromantic than anyone else in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

and maybe it's the limbic system being messed up. because the Insula seems to do nothing that relates to romance. While the striatum seems just seems to be motor movements and reward sectors.

The amygdala is part of the Limbic System, if the limbic system happened to be messed up emotions could be affected also. As the amygdala controls the flow of certain hormones, such as Fear, agression, rage, and even sexual feelings. If this were damaged, could the emotions for Fear be repressed or less severe? 

• Like 1

I don't know how hard of research you are willing to do, but google scholar and scihub are pretty good used together, although it is a mixed bag and science papers can be pretty hard to parse. I don't usually use them to answer questions as much as I just want to know that there is research on a topic, but if you can find a meta study it might be worth it.

I am kinda want people to stop researching why we are queer tho. It gives off bad vibes to me. Even the funny ones like the finger ratios.

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, SwiftySpeedy said:

I did some some more research and maybe it's the limbic system being messed up. because the Insula seems to do nothing that relates to romance. While the striatum seems just seems to be motor movements and reward sectors.

I did a bit more research and according to Britannica, "A dysfunctional limbic system is associated with several conditions and clinical disorders such as epilepsy, dementia, anxiety disorders, and autism."  Although there are aromantic people that don't suffer from these disorders, So could it be a hormone deficiency or something along those lines?

A lack of hormones would mean that you lack sex drive, not that you cannot experience attraction, your sexuality doesn't have anything to do with hormones, it's just something you're born with.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:27 PM, Maryland said:

There’s a whole label (acoro-) that means: “Is someone whose negative experiences with romance has alienated them from Allo-Romanticism” another one is one that relates to being Neurodivergent and that affecting your romantic attraction .

The essential problem with this is notion is reverse causation.

It would be virtually impossible for anyone who lives, and grows up, in a highly amantonormative society who isn't highly romance positive to avoid negative experiences with romance. Since romance is ubiquitous to the point that it takes considerable effort to find novels, comic books, movies, plays, TV series, popular music, etc which are free of romantic content/propaganda.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:39 PM, SwiftySpeedy said:

I learned recently how trans people usually have similar brains to the gender they identify as. Could there be a similar thing that results in someone being aromantic or asexual?

It's worth noting that this kind of quest for a reason why tends to be rather selective.

Rarely is it asked "Why are cis people cis?"; "Why are heterosexual/allosexual people heterosexual/allosexual?"; "Why are heteroromantic/alloromantic people heteroromantic/alloromantic?"; "Why are perioriented people perioriented?".

Possibly better questions to asked would be "Why do most people stop being quoigender around the age of three?"; "Why do most people stop being quoiromantic in middle childhood?" and "Why do most people stop being quoisexual at puberty?"

Edited by Mark
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Imagine this is all caused by some sort of genetic mutation or a combination of random genes and we are all either like 32nd cousins 58 removed or somehow developed it separately.

Edited by N1GHTM4R3
  • Haha 3

I do agree that researching the medical reasons of queer people can be dangerous, as homophobes and the like can use it as another “reason” to call queer people defective and mentally ill and stuff like that.

However, I can’t help but still be quite curious about how it all works. It could very well be as simple as “my brain doesn’t feel romantic attraction because it was created that way”, but it would be interesting to see if there are more scientific reasons behind it. Again, I don’t really support the idea, but I’m still just curious.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MondoBilby said:

I do agree that researching the medical reasons of queer people can be dangerous, as homophobes and the like can use it as another “reason” to call queer people defective and mentally ill and stuff like that.

However, I can’t help but still be quite curious about how it all works. It could very well be as simple as “my brain doesn’t feel romantic attraction because it was created that way”, but it would be interesting to see if there are more scientific reasons behind it. Again, I don’t really support the idea, but I’m still just curious.

I do agree as i am just always interested in the natural world and how people and animals function. It”s fascinating but I don’t support the idea on the terms that it would almost 100% be used in a harmful manner by the ‘omophobes

• Like 1

The idea that biological male and female humans have "different brains" is pseudoscience.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210325115316.htm

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00677-x

As for aromanticism and asexuality, could there be some general cause? Sure. But there's no reason to suspect that.

Edited by Neon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt they'd find anything since there's nothing we can get significant results on right now when it comes to other sexualities, so why would aro/ace people be any different? Besides, I feel it'd open up a weird door of aro and ace phobic parents testing kids for it which is... kinda ehhhh no thanks. 

Edited by SilentShadows

On 4/7/2024 at 5:43 AM, SilentShadows said:

I doubt they'd find anything since there's nothing we can get significant results on right now when it comes to other sexualities, so why would aro/ace people be any different? Besides, I feel it'd open up a weird door of aro and ace phobic parents testing kids for it which is... kinda ehhhh no thanks. 

yeah. I honestly, just for myself and all those wonderful aro people out there would like to find out why, if only for the purpose or knowing were alike in some physical/mental (??) way. Although I am very concerned that it would open up a whole new door of homophobia and aphobia/arophobia.

Generally testing someone for something generally implies that thing is bad, (covid tests, tests for hep. c, test for cancer, ect.) so lets hope no one comes up with a physical test for queerness.

• Like 1