I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry, but make it aroace!

Hello! I made a thing! Just changed the lyrics to Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl to make it aroace.

(I didn't sing it myself, I used a program that makes a computerized voice sing, similar to Vocaloid if any of you are familiar with that)

I know most of the lyrics are a gross generalization of what being aroace means, but I mostly based it off of my own experience, so maybe it won't be relatable to everyone but yeah.

Also, sorry for the shameless self-advertisement, but I made it for the aro and ace communities so I'd like for it to reach them :) I hope you like it.

Happy aromantic awareness week by the way!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, I am a schwa said:

Hello! I made a thing! Just changed the lyrics to Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl to make it aroace.

(I didn't sing it myself, I used a program that makes a computerized voice sing, similar to Vocaloid if any of you are familiar with that)

I know most of the lyrics are a gross generalization of what being aroace means, but I mostly based it off of my own experience, so maybe it won't be relatable to everyone but yeah.

Also, sorry for the shameless self-advertisement, but I made it for the aro and ace communities so I'd like for it to reach them :) I hope you like it.

What's the name of the character in the video?

27 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Oh, Solaria. Good to see her getting around. I still can't believe such a homophobic song got so popular when it first came out 😭 I mean I can but. lmfao

I can see how "I kissed a girl" was homophobic for sure, although at the time I thought the song was for the questioning crowd but I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Oh, Solaria. Good to see her getting around. I still can't believe such a homophobic song got so popular when it first came out 😭 I mean I can but. lmfao

Wasn't it the singer making some kind of coming out ? I didn't know it was homophobic.

(I just listened to the original version and uuuuh I know what you meant. I think she was just willing to say that just a kiss doesn't matter, and that people shouldn't make it a big deal, but the way she did... That wouldn't be possible today)

10 hours ago, I am a schwa said:

Your creation is great !

Edited by Atypique
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MulticulturalFarmer said:

What's the name of the character in the video?

It's Solaria!

10 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Really? I never thought it was homophobic when I first heard it, personally 🤔 at the time it was kinda revolutionary to talk about bisexuality or gayness in general at all, so I thought any representation was good enough.

But I can see where you all are coming from, cause it did downplay sapphic attraction with all the stereotypes the fact that it's "no big deal, it's innocent" 🤷🏻 or that it's just experimentation. Can't believe I'm only just realizing this now >_<

5 hours ago, Atypique said:

Your creation is great !

Thank you! :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, I am a schwa said:

But I can see where you all are coming from, cause it did downplay sapphic attraction with all the stereotypes the fact that it's "no big deal, it's innocent" 🤷🏻 or that it's just experimentation. Can't believe I'm only just realizing this now >_<

For me, the problem is in the fact that she is considering other girls as just a test, an experience. She acts just like a straight girl that wants to experience things without really being queer, and people like that are awful. However, we know that she's actually bi, so her song is cool

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, I am a schwa said:

banger cover i LOVE it

15 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I still can't believe such a homophobic song got so popular when it first came out 😭

hows it homophobic aint it gay as hell

2 hours ago, Atypique said:

For me, the problem is in the fact that she is considering other girls as just a test, an experience. She acts just like a straight girl that wants to experience things without really being queer, and people like that are awful. However, we know that she's actually bi, so her song is cool

Lol what I didn't know she was bi! That's so cool

2 hours ago, alto said:

Love the aro-ace version!

1 hour ago, A User said:

banger cover i LOVE it

@A Userlove your pfp by the way

17 minutes ago, I am a schwa said:

Lol what I didn't know she was bi! That's so cool

@A Userlove your pfp by the way

Off topic, but does "I am a schwa" refer to lingustics or is it a reference to something else?

2 hours ago, A User said:

hows it homophobic aint it gay as hell

Yeah, that's a bit of a strong word, she's bi herself. But everybody must admit: the original song is chock-full of cliches (which were already old in 2008). So it hasn't aged well. I just find it super annoying and cringe, while the aroace version is very creative and funny in a good way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MulticulturalFarmer said:

Off topic, but does "I am a schwa" refer to lingustics or is it a reference to something else?

It's for two reasons: one, the joke that goes "I wanna be a schwa: it's never stressed", because well, the stress of a syllable never falls on a schwa (or so I hear).

Second reason: in my native language, every word is gendered with the ending vowel representing the gender, and there's only 2 options, masculine (-o) and feminine (-a), so myself, being non-binary, and many other people in queer spaces use the schwa (-ə) as a gender-neutral ending vowel. So it's kinda like saying "I'm a they".

2 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

Yeah, that's a bit of a strong word, she's bi herself. But everybody must admit: the original song is chock-full of cliches (which were already old in 2008). So it hasn't aged well. I just find it super annoying and cringe, while the aroace version is very creative and funny in a good way.

Ditto. And thanks :D

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, I am a schwa said:

It's for two reasons: one, the joke that goes "I wanna be a schwa: it's never stressed", because well, the stress of a syllable never falls on a schwa (or so I hear).

Second reason: in my native language, every word is gendered with the ending vowel representing the gender, and there's only 2 options, masculine (-o) and feminine (-a), so myself, being non-binary, and many other people in queer spaces use the schwa (-ə) as a gender-neutral ending vowel. So it's kinda like saying "I'm a they".

Ditto. And thanks :D

Thanks for explaining, could I ask what the language is?

3 minutes ago, I am a schwa said:

Sure! It's Italian

Oh I was thinking it was Spanish, I think Spanish has like 70-80% of words similar with Italian.

49 minutes ago, MulticulturalFarmer said:

Oh I was thinking it was Spanish, I think Spanish has like 70-80% of words similar with Italian.

Yeah they're very similar, I can sorta understand written Spanish even though I've never studied it properly, and spoken Spanish if they talk really clearly and slowly 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, I am a schwa said:

Yeah they're very similar, I can sorta understand written Spanish even though I've never studied it properly, and spoken Spanish if they talk really clearly and slowly 

Yeah same for me with my knowledge of Spanish and applying it to Italian; I remember being able to listen to songs in Italian pretty easily, like in Eurovision for example. I remember listening to Grande Amore in 2015 in Italian and I was like wow, I really can get this with my knowledge of Spanish. I also remember that it had mixed reception, other countries liked it, but Italians were like, "meh".

• 2 weeks later...

I think "I Kissed Dating Goodbye and I Liked It" would be a funny play on the title, but that's the former fundie kid talking 😂

(There was a Christian fundie book called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" that denounced the practice of dating in favor of "courting".)

Add: Listened to the actual cover, it's great!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1