What is your other 'love' in life instead of romance?

Littleface

I was thinking again today about myself being aro (I'm trying to slowly come to terms with it) and I wondered what, if any, is your life's passion? For example, I get a lot of fulfilment out of creating things. My art and stories/world building is my big life passion. I'd be happy spending my life working on those things with a good group of friends around me and a platonic life partner who shares those same goals. What is your non romantic love or passion in life?

• Like 6

Music and art all the way. Composing songs, playing instruments and seeing how far I can go with it! One day I want to play in band for a living. Already have, but it was a local small band and we didn't go anywhere with our music

When it comes to writing I also love worldbuilding so much. I have multiple entire books of only lore for my worlds. 

I really like digital painting and drawing and have created 100+ original characters, haha. 

I genuinely love these things so much

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Frogrobin said:

Music and art all the way. Composing songs, playing instruments and seeing how far I can go with it! One day I want to play in band for a living. Already have, but it was a local small band and we didn't go anywhere with our music

When it comes to writing I also love worldbuilding so much. I have multiple entire books of only lore for my worlds. 

I really like digital painting and drawing and have created 100+ original characters, haha. 

I genuinely love these things so much

Omg SAME! I have a glossary for things relating to my world, it's so fulfilling!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Littleface said:

I was thinking again today about myself being aro (I'm trying to slowly come to terms with it) and I wondered what, if any, is your life's passion? For example, I get a lot of fulfilment out of creating things. My art and stories/world building is my big life passion. I'd be happy spending my life working on those things with a good group of friends around me and a platonic life partner who shares those same goals. What is your non romantic love or passion in life?

My family, friends, fandoms, and hobbies/interests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, venomous said:

Does marvelling at beauty in the world count? Nature, art, music, cities and cultures interest me a lot. I find a lot of meaning in that. Also having great conversations with friends and acquaintances. 

Definitely!! That's such a cool thing to love so much!

• Like 1

1. Foreign languages (ironically, I'm the most familiar with the romance languages)

2. Brain Scale

3. Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell (which includes alternate channels in other languages)

4. Calisthenics and general fitness

5. Character Stories

6. My Friends

7. Volunteering for Republic Services

• Like 3

food

Im a bloody good cook now, so its not just me being greedy

also physics has kind of grown into a passion, although its nice that its an area of knowledge that can pay the bills i do also do a fair bit of experimental messing around in my spare time, usually astronomy related.

• Like 4

I personally don't have specific goals. I want to be happy, however that plays out. Personally, I think that having a specific passion, mission, goal, etc. is unhealthy. Because if you lose interest in it, then what do you have left? If you don't succeed, how do you not see your life as a failure? If you spend all your time zeroed in on one thing, how can you appreciate other things for everything they are?

I don't have anything that exists where an interest in romance would have. I doubt I would be highly interested in romance even if I wasn't aro. I just have a lot of things that bring me joy.

This is absolutely influenced by major depression, but I don't really have any loves or passions.

But I want to contribute some things I enjoy or think I enjoy:

• High intensity workouts
  • Dancing for the hell of it
  • Cooking & making my own recipes
  • Hiking
  • Camping
  • Seeing new things/sights
  • Playing piano
  • Creating stained glass art
  • Reading
  • Listening to audiodramas/podcast stories
  • Helping people
  • Sharing knowledge
  • Learning new things
  • Paintball
  • Ax throwing
  • Rock climbing
  • Dinosaurs
  • Haunted houses
  • Big organization projects
  • Visiting museums

I used to love creative writing. I'm trying to get back into it, but I haven't found that enjoyment out of it that I used to get, unfortunately.

Edited by hemogoblin
  • Like 4

fashion design.  like how soulmates are described--indeed, like how my best friend and i found each other--it felt like predestination rather than choice.  i could list more but at some point on the scale from 'makes my heart glow' to 'mildly entertains me' i'll leave the 'passion' territory so i'll name just one more thing without which life would seem incomplete: travel.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, neelc said:

I have massive amounts of computers in my second room.

So cool! I would love to see this!

20 hours ago, roboticanary said:

food

Im a bloody good cook now, so its not just me being greedy

also physics has kind of grown into a passion, although its nice that its an area of knowledge that can pay the bills i do also do a fair bit of experimental messing around in my spare time, usually astronomy related.

How did this proficiency develop for you? Was it gradual, and did anything in particular (perhaps necessity?) spark your rise to nom mastery?

Are you working on any of these experimental projects at the moment, too?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, the more the merrier said:

How did this proficiency develop for you? Was it gradual, and did anything in particular (perhaps necessity?) spark your rise to nom mastery?

Are you working on any of these experimental projects at the moment, too?

mostly just being single for a long time, i needed to be able to feed myself and was surrounded for a year by students eating some really shoddy food, so i just kept trying new things just so i could eat some decent food.

after about 8 years of cooking for myself pretty much every day i have things sorted out. Also i moved from a fairly small city to a big city for uni so i got introduced to a lot of food from places outside the UK, so i ended up trying to learn how to work with ingredients i had never heard of just out of interest. 

as for science bits, not a lot at the moment, currently i have one thing i am getting the bits to do which is making a barn door tracker, now i have a half decent camera i want something so i can take some better photos and that seemed like a simple thing i could do fairly quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1