What are you reading?

Angrboda

I recently finished MAUS, an adult graphic novel about cute little animals and the holocaust, and started rereading Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy for the third time for a very different tone.

On 10/24/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nix said:

Oh I forgot to keep up with my read books here 😅

I’ll just… screenshot my list?

IMG_8488.jpeg.8474324aec06ec4a3595a8dc3f4e3285.jpegIMG_8487.jpeg.ed5af077878a1214b8fbb5adf1d8601f.jpegIMG_8486.jpeg.b0036da5a3a2426cd238c0314b27ac71.jpeg

I really enjoyed the ‘Tales from the gas station’ books, so funny to have a protagonist go: ‘Nope, I’m not getting paid enough to deal with this’.

And two new Sanderson books, yay! 

I’m currently reading ‘Legend of the Storm Sneezer’ by Kristiana Sfirlea and it’s a fun, warm book (with aro ace main characters!) It’s a children’s book, so I sometimes have a little trouble focussing on the plot, but the main characters make up for that :)

I love Sanderson! I haven’t been able to get Sunlit Man yet, but Yumi was great.

My favorite novel is probably The Book Thief, a tragic yet comedic historical fiction novel set in Nazi Germany about a girl who steals books from funerals, from book burnings, and from her neighbor who she is trying to get revenge on for complicated reasons.

My favorite genre is fantasy, definitely, and I’d say Sanderson is my favorite author.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a lot of deadtime just standing around during a field sampling event in locations with no service. To kill time, I decided I could read something off my B&N app. ChoseYou're Not Supposed To Die Tonight which was an EXCELLENT choice. Devoured it in about a day. A really fun take on the slasher genre. I love how it opens and you know it's not real but that it's gotta become real at some point. Classic yet avoided being stereotypical and predictable. A really great example of how to build tension and atmosphere within a book, too.

• Like 2

Vagueness by Timothy Williamson

... which is about vagueness, philosophically. 🙃

Starts with the paradox of the heap, of course. Eubulides of Miletus was pretty clever that we're still arguing about his riddles.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Angrboda said:

What are you reading right now?

What are your favorite books?

What are your favorite genres?

The kite runner

Loveless and all of pr. Tolkien's books and so many more, srs i can never decide what's my fav book

I love fantasy, murder books, happy teenage stuffs(bc i can't experience any of those on my own) etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 10:33 PM, MaxIsCosmic said:

I’m reading “bastard out of Carolina” by Dorthy Allison it’s southern gothic and really good so far.

Update; it is so sad I Finished it and cried. 

• Like 1

On a drilling project for the next couple of months with lots of reading time. Super excited to knock out some tbrs!

Read Camp Damascus by Chuck Tingle. I was expecting more slasher I guess because I've just been doing a lot of those. It was a lot more psychological horror and just a fantastic deconstruction of Christian homophobia and hypocrisy. I wouldn't say it was an absolutely enthralling read (I find the emotionally heavy ones difficult to read through without breaks, but I started this one because I hadn't prepared for so much downtime and didn't really have any other options to take a break with), but it's 100% sitting with me and keeping me thinking about it. Very heavy topic matter, though. Definitely needed a palate cleanser after. I do think I'll see about giving his Straight a chance, too. 

Finished FantasticLand which was AMAZING. If you like mockumentary horror, check it out. Definitely for fans of movies like Hell House, LLC and Lake Mungo. Thoroughly good read. 

Started Jordan Peele's curated horror anthology book. Only a couple of great stories in, but I knew Peele wouldn't let me down. Some great names in this book. I can tell this one is going to have quite a few stories that also sit with me and percolate for a while. 

And finally finishing Harrow the Ninth! Should finish it today and then will start Nona next hitch and be all caught up for the release of Alecto! It's been so long since I had time for a big book like this, I had forgotten how good they really are when you can actually just sit down and read them. Finally starting to get some answers so that things are making a tad more sense, lol. I can't wait to see how this wraps up. @_@ 

• Like 1

Currently reading Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett. I finished reading Soul Music this week so this one is up next since I'm reading the Discword books in the order they were published. I also just finished Debate Kids at the End of the World by Alex Nonymous which I read in two afternoons. Mostly I've been reading Discword books recently with the occasional short queer YA novel in between so I don't get tired of reading the same style all the time. Because as much as I enjoy Terry Pratchett 's writing style there's over 40 of these books and I'm three books shy of being halfway through so I'm trying to make sure there is at least a little bit of variety in there. 

My favorite book just in general is Good Omens which I love for far too many reasons to list here.

As for genres, I always like a good mystery of pretty much any variety. I tend to read a lot of queer YA novels because they're fun and I like seeing how much more representation is in books these days and they're like the book equivalent of a comfort food to me especially if they're short enough to get through in a day and I've just finished reading something heavier. I also think a lot of stuff with scifi or fantasy elements is really neat. Sometimes I like horror too but I tend to be kind of picky when it comes to that.

• Like 2

i loved chuck palahniuk's "fight club" so i bought a bunch of his other books and i've been digging through them lately. right now i'm on "choke" and i'm really enjoying it so far.

i find it hard to narrow down a favorite book but if i had to pick i'd say either david mitchell's "cloud atlas" or stephen king's "it".

i'm super into horror so that's the majority of what i read, but i'm also into lots of other things like sci-fi, true crime, and comics/graphic novels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished ‘Hench’ by Natalie Zina Walschots, recommended bij @Holmbo in this thread

Really awesome read, loved all the different rep, the dark humor and the horrific consequences of dealing with super-powered beings.

I have been gifted several books for Christmas (yay!) and right now I’m reading ‘Ten steps to Nanette, a memoir situation’ by Hannah Gadsby. Funny and compelling so far, just like their shows 👍🏻

• Like 1

Lately I've been reading a lot of nonfiction, mainly biographies about composers. The last books I've read, including the one I'm reading now have been about Beethoven as a politically revolutionary, how his ideology/beliefs informed his music, and how he used his music to convey an anti-abosolutist pro-revolution message pass the tight censorship of the time.

The last book I've read was "Beethoven, the relentless revolutionary" by John Clubbe, and now I'm reading "Beethoven: a political artist in revolutionary times" by William Kinderman.

• Like 2

I just finished reading I lived on Butterfly Hill by Marjorie Agosín. My favorite genre is fantasy but I also love LGBTQ+ webcomics and fanfic. One of my favorite books is This is Our Rainbow (includes an aro character!). Question, does anyone know of any aro books that are middle grade or more "appropriate" YA? (no violence or s*x) because I'm not allowed to read most YA books

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smac n cheese said:

I just finished reading I lived on Butterfly Hill by Marjorie Agosín. My favorite genre is fantasy but I also love LGBTQ+ webcomics and fanfic. One of my favorite books is This is Our Rainbow (includes an aro character!). Question, does anyone know of any aro books that are middle grade or more "appropriate" YA? (no violence or s*x) because I'm not allowed to read most YA books

There’s ‘Rick’ by Alex Gino, although it is a little more about discovering you’re ace then aro. But since it takes place in middle school there is no violence or sex. I found it a very heartwarming book and I bought it translated to Dutch so my parents could read it too. They both cried after reading and we had a great conversation about it and my own struggles, so just for that experiance I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads.

The cover is pretty clear about it being a queer book, I hope that is not a problem.

IMG_9426.jpeg.659cf84a1b76d57f9eeb59dab4e9db7b.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2023 at 8:00 PM, frutiger aro said:

i loved chuck palahniuk's "fight club" so i bought a bunch of his other books and i've been digging through them lately. right now i'm on "choke" and i'm really enjoying it so far.

now i'm in the middle of "haunted". i've got a pretty tough stomach when it comes to shock content but "guts" is easily the most nauseating piece of literature i've read in god knows how long... 10/10.

I read and analyse various articles and reports about the consequences of the war in Ukraine. One source I highly recommend is The Ukrainian Review. It offers comprehensive coverage and insightful perspectives on the current situation, including its geopolitical implications, humanitarian crises and economic impact. It's important to stay informed through reliable sources like this to understand the multifaceted impact of the conflict.

Edited by Evili76

I'm now reading "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards.

image.jpeg.6f15290bd0c9a35722b8c17ee71e2cd6.jpeg

Many love it, many hate it ... it's nicely written but I can't yet say if the method really works in practice.

BTW, there is an endless amount of drawing books ... the pardox of choice.

Everybody on Reddit really hates Christopher Hart's books, but on Amazon they all have 5/5 stars with thousands of reviews. Admittedly I'm also a bit suspicious since he published like 100 books, about all kind of styles. From Manga to Furry-drawing.😮

Then many recommend Burne Hogarth's book. A very technically skilled artist, for sure, but his style is very ... extreme. It's also too advanced.

On 12/27/2023 at 8:11 PM, Nix said:

The cover is pretty clear about it being a queer book, I hope that is not a problem.

What a lovely cover!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

Everybody on Reddit really hates Christopher Hart's books, but on Amazon they all have 5/5 stars with thousands of reviews. Admittedly I'm also a bit suspicious since he published like 100 books, about all kind of styles. From Manga to Furry-drawing.😮

Christopher Hart's drawing books are super popular with the kids I teach. It looks cool, colourful and not too difficult, so I guess it speaks to them. I see them as just another tool, like most drawing books really. In my personal experience there is no perfect book to teach you to draw better or different. But drawing books can help to see how others do it, and that will certainly help on your journey.

I'm currently reading 'Solo: Building a Remarkable Life of Your Own' by Peter McGraw. He hosts a podcast by the same name, and so far the book is a nice compilation of all the data he has gathered. I also really like the 'Solo love letters' that are sprinkled around the book, written by the community that has formed around the Solo podcast.

• Like 1