Aromantic Moments

Another thought came to mind for how I realized I was aroace - being asked multiple times throughout my life what type of person I look for in a partner and/or what type of person I'm into and me having no real answer. One time I made a crappy attempt and the only answer I gave was, "um, maybe not someone too tall."

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 4:55 PM, Raininspring said:

Another thought came to mind for how I realized I was aroace - being asked multiple times throughout my life what type of person I look for in a partner and/or what type of person I'm into and me having no real answer. One time I made a crappy attempt and the only answer I gave was, "um, maybe not someone too tall."

I legit have had more people ask me that now I've come to terms with being aro, where I swear - no one confessed to having crushes on me, or tried to ask me out, or asked about my romantic life, before I even thought about questioning myself on being aromantic. Now, if someone ever asks me in what I would find appealing in a future partner, I would say, "The capacity to walk away."

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oddly enough, I have a tendency to forget that people my age (in college) are actually interested in romantic relationships. Most of my friends aren't currently in romantic relationships, so it always catches me off guard when one of them has a new partner. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:49 PM, batbath said:

Oddly enough, I have a tendency to forget that people my age (in college) are actually interested in romantic relationships. Most of my friends aren't currently in romantic relationships, so it always catches me off guard when one of them has a new partner. 

very relatable 

You're truly aromantic when your friend asks you: "What would you do if your friend likes your ex?" 

And then you just say: "lmao why would they like someone?" 

Que everyone looking at you like you're weird XD

• Like 2

i have a few funny ones:

- Once for valentines day we had to write a comic about valentines day, my story centered around a kid my age (i was 11 maybe 12?) banding together with her friends to destroy romance forever because its too yucky lol.

i was genuinely suprised when everyone else wrote cute love stories, i hadnt even realized that was an option...

- another one is litteraly every single game of truth and dare ever! truely the time when i feel most surrounded by allos.

- one time, i cant remember if this was for school or not, i wrote some prank love letters wich where folded hearts with the text "i love you" but when you flipped some of the paper it said "i dont love you" or "i hate you" instead. i thought it was genius. i was prop 11 here too

in other words, i should have realized way earlier that i was aro... 

bonus: my least favorite moment was when i had to reject someone :D not fun

I've got quite a few. Some of these are actual moments and some are stupid questions that I wouldn't need to ask if I weren't aro. Either way, they might give you a good laugh.

--When I was just ace and didn't yet realize I was aro, I used to think I was just super confident because I've never blushed or stuttered around my "crush", until I realized I've just never had a crush.

--I deadass googled "when do kids start getting crushes" (it's age ten btw) because I couldn't tell if kids actually got crushes in kindergarten or if people just push heteronormativity onto kids that young of an age. 

--I don't understand the concept of "friendzoning". Why would you be mad if someone sees you as their friend? Sure, it's not romantic, but shouldn't you be happy? Why would people date someone they wouldn't want to be friends with? Why are you so mad that someone wants to be friends with you?

--In addition to the above, I'm actually more worried about getting "romancezoned" by which I mean when someone wants to date you but not actually want to be friends with you. I get so scared that people I know (*cough* guys *cough*) only want to be friends with me to date me, and if I reject them they won't wanna be friends anymore. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 8:53 PM, Alaska Native Manitou said:

I was showing the new She-ra to my bff.  When we got to the episode with the underwater club I said "watch for Perfuma & Scorpia flirting in this one."  She replied "haven't they been flirting all along?"  I didn't notice until it was obvious.

my experience with every official (and popular among fans) ship while watching that show. (yes, even the "main character x childhood best friend, now enemy" one. I know, I should have known better) the only ones I got were the really obvious ones (married or already dating)

also: sorry about this being kinda 2 years later, I hope it's okay.

• Like 1

There was a ‘grand opening’ of a park and a bunch of new apartments nearby so I went with my friends and collegues to enjoy the festivities. I met the architect of the new apartments and briefly chatted with him because we worked together on a project in my own neighbourhood a few years back.

I complimented him on a succesful project and the looks of the park and he replied ‘Thanks, but the park was designed by her’ and he pointed to a lady standing near us. I turned and complimented her on the design of the park and she responded by pointed at both of us and said ‘Is this your partner?’

I was a little confused by that so I said ‘Uhm no? We worked together on a project a few years back’ and then she just turned around and started talking to somebody else? I was shocked at how rude she was being but nobody else seemed to think it was weird? 

I guess to her I’m not worth talking to if I don’t ‘belong’ to anyone…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nix said:

There was a ‘grand opening’ of a park and a bunch of new apartments nearby so I went with my friends and collegues to enjoy the festivities. I met the architect of the new apartments and briefly chatted with him because we worked together on a project in my own neighbourhood a few years back.

I complimented him on a succesful project and the looks of the park and he replied ‘Thanks, but the park was designed by her’ and he pointed to a lady standing near us. I turned and complimented her on the design of the park and she responded by pointed at both of us and said ‘Is this your partner?’

I was a little confused by that so I said ‘Uhm no? We worked together on a project a few years back’ and then she just turned around and started talking to somebody else? I was shocked at how rude she was being but nobody else seemed to think it was weird? 

I guess to her I’m not worth talking to if I don’t ‘belong’ to anyone…

Sounds like she's a snob and to her you aren't worth talking to if you don't belong to her specific group. Even despite you are a designer too... But that attitude is very unpleasant either way. 

Edited by Ekaterina
  • Like 2