Non-Binary Representation in Media

On 8/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, DeltaV said:

Cause we’re in an aro board. And while Izana isn’t aro what happens to them ihmo seems like a non-binary aro‘s worst nightmare. ?

In-universe if somebody of the third gender becomes strongly romantically attracted to a man / woman they transform to woman / man

I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver is a story about a nonbinary person who, after coming out to their parents, is kicked out of their home and ends up moving in with their sister. They join a new school and, throughout the story, work through their anxiety and fall in love. Here is a site that contains the trigger warnings for the story. 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:52 PM, Blake said:

heard, but I haven't seen Sex Education for fear that it doesn't represent young queer people well.

I think Sex education do its best, though some characters can seem like token characters who are there to spore about a specific issues (which is something I see against the NB character, and is also true for the ace character who just disappeared in season 3). However there are a lot of LGBT+ characters with unique personalities, and their story are not only centered around them being LGBT+ for most of them. So you can give it a try and see what you think about it.

• Like 1

Dark Sun Gwyndolin from Dark Souls. Perhaps – it’s debatable (could be trans). Still, Gwyndolin is associated with all kind of “gender-indeterminacy”.

There’s a ring called “Reversal Ring” in Dark Souls 3 with the description:

“A divine ring granted to the Darkmoon Gwyndolin in his youth.
Causes males to perform female actions, and vice-versa.
Gwyndolin was raised like a daughter through the aura of the moon, and was said to behave like a sullen brooding goddess.”

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I could list a whole bunch of mythological beings that are or may be non-binary, but I'll at least start with archangel Gabriel. No reason.

Spoiler

In Supernatural at least, angels and demons can possess virtually anyone, regardless of what they have between their legs.

Edited by SkyTuneRein

14 hours ago, SkyTuneRein said:

I could list a whole bunch of mythological beings that are or may be non-binary, but I'll at least start with archangel Gabriel. No reason.

Hide contents

In Supernatural at least, angels and demons can possess virtually anyone, regardless of what they have between their legs.

Good Omens is technically the same thing

Even the book had said they're genderless 

(The show also has Pollution as an nb character!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new german series it’s an non-binary main character, it‘s called „becoming Charlie“. It‘s about the journey of discovering the own gender identity of a young person in a very difficult life situation

the Storyboard is written by a non–binary person

but a HUGE!!!!! triggerwarning for transmisia

i found it really hard to watch. So maybe take care of yourself and don‘t watch it by your own if you don‘t feel like you could deal with it

the end just let me like „wtf no no you can‘t end now with this“. If anyone has seen it and needs to talk a bit about it, I’m in. Bc I don‘t really know how to feel about it haha

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

im not sure but kalluto from hxh is gender nonconforming and despite being amab they have a very feminine presentation. idk if i remember correctly but they dont really care about gendered terms [fem or masc he seems to be fine with both]

however theyre not very explored as a character so thats all i know about their gender identity. if i got anything wrong correct me 

• 1 month later...

I would say Adira from Star Trek Discovery, but personally I'm not that much of a fan of Discovery so if you want a non-binary character and great Star Trek you should look at Angel from Star Trek Strange New Worlds!

Spoiler

Also they're a chaotic neutral pirate and is going to return in the show at some point

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' Jesse James Keitel Explains Why Playing Angel  Was 'Refreshing' | Cinemablend

Edited by Harvest

On 5/12/2022 at 7:56 PM, dewy said:

Kris from Deltarune, their gender is never explicitly stated but they're always referred to with they/them.

if we're mentioning that then i suppose frisk (undertale) also counts

though maybe not as that's less of a defined character, more just the player