Non-Binary Representation in Media

• 1 month later...

In the last season of The Expanse there's a non binary character. They only have a small role and I don't remember if their pronouns are even said on the show but it's been stated by the show runners that they're non binary.

• Like 1

i dont know a canonically nonbinary character but i do know a gender nonconforming character that has got everyone questioning their gender and i think its still debated; pitou from hxh. they have a fairly androgynous appearance despite leaning towards femininity more and all the pronouns when referring to them are neutral. pitous sex nor gender was confirmed despite the majority of the fanbase thinking theyre a cis female just because of their appearance

its funny really how people assumes sex and gender of a character based on their body shape and gender expression while appearance doesnt do anything to prove their sex nor gender. heck. theyre not even human. body types of chimera ants are really diverse so who are we to assume? if the author are trying to be subtle about it; then dont assume anything

to me and a few others pitou is just a gender nonconforming and apathetic individual who couldnt give more of a flying fuck about gender. after all they had barely lived over a month. so theres really no point debating about their gender

Screenshot_2022-11-28_at_7.32.19_PM.png this is what they looks like

• Like 3

Align Stars (Hoshiai No Sora) has an amazing NonBinary rep! The process of realization is portrayed in a good and not harmful way. The stuggles NonBinary people face (not always, obviously), such as gender dysphoria and being misunderstood & unaccepted is shown here as well!

• Like 1

There is a non-binary character in Komi Can't Communicate!

On 1/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, DeltaAro said:

Crona from Soul Eater has an undetermined gender.

In the whole Japanese text there is no hint of it. In the translation Crona is given male pronouns, but in the original gender-neutral ones are used.

Crona my beloved. They are my baby. I was so depressed when the manga ended.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

In my opinion it is of course very important to be represented correctly as why not to add cool non binary character to the show. They can also diversify the cast and the show as a whole. Of course writters should need to properly develop the character, focusing not only on their sexuality but also on their personality. And of course it may be good to add some details like  pansexual non binary flag or something other. In my opinion this only will attract wider audience to the show

Edited by Lorrik

On 11/30/2022 at 6:20 AM, Collie said:

Crona my beloved. They are my baby. I was so depressed when the manga ended.

Manga artist who created Soul Eater answers the question of Crona's gender:

Spoiler

https://external-preview.redd.it/_g4ItD1CE0ZJ0kyThzokEQmaFOHdCdx0Bke3swYVqbY.png?auto=webp&s=7079157c9b7c6539d3bc1b9949274f799421ad09

Has anybody mentioned Jim from Our Flag Means Death (whose actor Vico is worth all the social media follows!)?

Vico Ortiz on playing non-binary pirate Jim in Our Flag Means Death: I'm  'proud to be part of it' | EW.com

(Portrait of Vico Ortiz on the left, Jim Jimenez on the right)

Also must always mention Mae Martin in Feel Good! Mae Martin also wrote a book Can Everyone Please Calm Down that I've been wanting to read but haven't had the money to buy yet.

Plus, Sabi in Sort Of, played by the wonderful Bilal Baig!

Edited by hemogoblin
moar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Atypique said:

This is so cool... In French I think they made them a girl... Or at least that's what I was thinking they were when I was a kid

Wait are you talking about Link or a different character? 

• 3 months later...

Possibly that one person from Modern Family that Haley and Luke find attractive (this happens in the episode where the family is on the yacht waiting for an eclipse).

5 hours ago, MulticulturalFarmer said:

For real? Like did she come out as that or was her character somehow non binary??

Raven Symone is Non-binary. And queer too.

• Like 1