Sirens and aromatics

Arokitty

So, I don’t know if this is the right place to post this but I was thinking.

Siren’s (the mythical evil mermaid creatures) are said to lure people into their clutches with their singing and beauty or something, right? So, technically, would aromantics be immune? 

• Like 1

Yeah I think it would really depend on the person and the siren (do sirens come in variations?). Cause what I've interpreted from it is that they lure you in with what you want the most. So technically, if someone was starving and had a hankering for some baked ziti, the siren could sing about baked ziti? 

Of course, I feel that this isn't the case for most people, and many people would rather want a relationship (or in the case of Odysseus, truth) more than some food. So maybe?

• Like 2

purificatory / cathartic

23 hours ago, Arokitty said:

Siren’s (the mythical evil mermaid creatures) are said to lure people into their clutches with their singing and beauty or something, right? So, technically, would aromantics be immune? 

It might be aesthetic or sexual attraction, but romantic attraction does not exist in The Odyssey.

23 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I swear I remember seeing a discussion on this from somewhere, but generally what they offer is not physical, they offer Odysseus truths. It was only later the story was made more about love and implied sex.

This sounds plausible. What does the original, Homeric Greek, text say?

22 hours ago, senACEay_11 said:

Yeah I think it would really depend on the person and the siren (do sirens come in variations?)

According to Plato they are celestial, under Zeus; generative, under Poseidon and purificatory / cathartic under Hades.
With those in The Odyssey, obviously, being generative.

22 hours ago, senACEay_11 said:

Of course, I feel that this isn't the case for most people, and many people would rather want a relationship (or in the case of Odysseus, truth) more than some food. So maybe?

It's unlikely that anyone in the time of Odysseus (or Homer) would want a (romantic) relationship. Classical Greek has no words to describe one.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I mean, maybe asexual aromantics would be, but probably not me lmao

Up top! All a siren's gotta do is flash that side shave, D&D enamel pin, maybe do that thing where you put your arms over your head and your shirt rides up-- I'd drown myself in about four seconds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Queasy_Attention said:

Up top! All a siren's gotta do is flash that side shave, D&D enamel pin, maybe do that thing where you put your arms over your head and your shirt rides up-- I'd drown myself in about four seconds.

Lmao mood ???

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Queasy_Attention said:

Sirens arn't in the official D&D source material. Though there are "home brew" stats.
As well as for the rusalka from North Eastern European folklore.Which is in some ways a similar monster.

23 hours ago, Mark said:

This sounds plausible. What does the original, Homeric Greek, text say?

just had a look. According to wikipedia, which as we all know is never wrong, they sing:

Once he hears to his heart's content, sails on, a wiser man.
We know all the pains that the Greeks and Trojans once endured
on the spreading plain of Troy when the gods willed it so—
all that comes to pass on the fertile earth, we know it all!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_(mythology)

On 11/5/2020 at 11:33 PM, senACEay_11 said:

if someone was starving and had a hankering for some baked ziti, the siren could sing about baked ziti? 

even if I wasn't starving that would be a tempting option. maybe the sirens could offer aro icecream:aroicecream:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I read the Odyssey once for literature class long ago.  I only remember Odysseus as a thug.  He killed people left & right; he tortured people (did he gouge someone's eyes out?); & he cheated on his wife as much as possible--while she remained faithful to him, I think.  Someone like him valued truth?? 

There was no romance?  The only part of Greek culture I like today is a book of poems by a woman named Sappho who talks about love a lot.?‍❤️‍?

In Japanese folklore there is a vampiric creature living on snowy mountains?️ called Yuki Onna (Snow Woman).  Rather than blood, she can't produce body heat.  She is said to be so beautiful? she can enchant both men & women into wanting to kiss her--so she can suck out your body heat & you die of hypothermia.  I should add that ancient Japanese culture had no need for homophobia, & women experimenting with each other was no big deal.  So we can't say for sure if she could capture an aro-ace.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2 Spirit Cherokee Princess said:

I read the Odyssey once for literature class long ago.  I only remember Odysseus as a thug.  He killed people left & right; he tortured people (did he gouge someone's eyes out?); & he cheated on his wife as much as possible--while she remained faithful to him, I think.  Someone like him valued truth??

It's more secrets about life, history universe and things like that I think, than truth.

I think the sirens capture you with the secrets you want the more to hear. At least that what I think.

This and their singing is very good.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:48 PM, Arokitty said:

So, I don’t know if this is the right place to post this but I was thinking.

Why is Greek mythology and philosophy such a big issue for aromanticism? ?

I had to translate this section with the sirens in school. Sadly I forgot the details... but if it were romantic I would remembered it ... as especially sinister.

The attraction seemed rather aesthetic. But of a more powerful otherworldly / supernatural sort.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Why is Greek mythology and philosophy such a big issue for aromanticism?

Two possible reasons.

• Greek Mythology is a well known example of a pre/aromantic culture.
  • The term "platonic" is very much (over) used in aro spaces. Even if not that reflective of Plato's ideas.
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

lolol i wouldn't be. just cuz i would wanna get closer and have pictures...

On 11/8/2020 at 5:55 PM, DeltaV said:

The attraction seemed rather aesthetic. But of a more powerful otherworldly / supernatural sort

i would completely agree. as i said above the quote, pictures, cuz i would wanna see if they look a) pretty, b) cool, or c) monstrous but still a) and b) lol

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, Queasy_Attention said:

actual sirens probably look like something from D&D

• Like 1