Your best friendship moment

Holmbo

Since romantic people seem to like asking each other what's the most romantic moment of their life perhaps we could do the same but with friendship?
What is your most platonic moment of your life? (that doesn't make sense because it just seems to mean the most unromantic, but you get the intent I hope)

The many times that I used to walk out of class only to see my best friend outside waiting for me because she knew my class schedule and I knew hers.

UGH WHICH FRIEND THO I HAVE TONS OF AMAZING PLATONIC MOMENTS WITH ALL MY FRIENDS

THIS QUESTION IS LIKE ASKING ME TO NOT ONLY CHOOSE MY FAVOURITE CHILD, BUT ALSO CHOOSE THE FAVOURITE MEMORY I'VE SHARED WITH THAT CHILD

I guess that means I have to list all my memories involving my squishes, qp friends, best friends, and found family friend groups...

Spoiler

A LIST OF ALL MY BEST FRIENDSHIP MOMENTS

1. Standing on the roof of an apartment with my squish at sunset, talking about dank memes, watching the tiny people below us, watching the people on the rooftops around us, watching everything from the top of our world.

2. Standing on the side of the road with my other squish after his RV has broken down for the second time, watching the stars, listening to him tell me too much of himself too soon because he's too nervous about all of this, me, smiling, because I knew this was exactly what I signed up for when I said I'd go with him to the middle of nowhere.

3. Sitting in a crowded room behind the person who is now my queerplatonic friend; we are staring and smiling at each other because both of us know each other's secrets, and she leans into me because, in her joy, she has temporarily forgotten what personal space is. 

4. Lying on the floor with the person who is now my ex-queerplatonic friend; it is 2 in the morning because we never keep track of time when we are together. Their head is resting against my arm, and it feels like we're two puzzle pieces finally fitting together. We are still weeks away from discovering our mismatch.

5. Sitting across the table at the library, playing chess with the person who nearly convinced me I could be her boyfriend; like with my ex-queerplatonic friend, we never kept track of time either. We knew this sin was mutual. I'm thinking about what my next move on the board will be, when I catch her staring at me like she's never done before, like this time, she's doesn't want to take her eyes off, like this time, she wants to take something more from me, than just her eyes off...

6. Sitting on the rooftop with my best friend in college, watching the sunset, eating dinner, talking about our future together. As friends. No romo. Seriously.

7. Sitting in my other best friend's room, as she teaches me how to play guitar. She jokes that I'm learning too fast. I laugh, but on the inside, I'm hoping to fuck up the next few chords, so that this lesson with her will never end.

8. Standing in a huddle with my slam poetry team, right before we're going into the final round of the state competition. I'm nervous as hell, but I'm happy. I'm happy that I've gotten to share and write my stories with these five, amazing people. For the first time in my life, I think I've found myself a family. 

9. Papo. Arocalypse. Discord voice chats. Discord text chats. Ollie/Izumi's Screeching and The Song of Our People. Shitty Septapus Comics. Yelling at UB3RB0T. Yelling at each other. Learning from each other. Loving each other. No romo. Seriously. 

There was this one time in college when 2 friends and I drove to the beach just before midnight and went to go eat ice cream on the beach in the dark. Why? We just felt like it. Y'know, normal people stuff.

Many moments where one of us says something, and the other is like "I was just thinking that!" - this happens with a few awesome people I know. Or we actually say it at the same time even.

Years after college, my one friend from there drove 320km to come visit us and stayed for a week.

A few things that I treasured as friendship moments turned out not to be pure friendship moments after all, so I won't be mentioning those. :P

Thanks for this topic, this has given me good stuff to think about. I should make a long list of these and read it whenever I'm sad :)

I have so many of these, but since I don't want to write a novel I'll talk about one I had last night:

I was coming home from a jazz festival at around midnight, sitting next to my best friend (who, for one reason or another, I've never been able to sit with on the bus until then) with another one of my friends on the other side of me. We were really tired of course, and it was an hour long ride from the festival back to our school. We were half asleep and just talking about graduation and the future. Then my other friend fell asleep and it was just me and my best friend, and we were just talking and half dozing off until we arrived home. I don't know, it was really simple but I rarely get the chance to just sit and talk, and I always feel like I can talk so freely with her, and I really liked it.

My best friends and I are pretty much on the same wavelength. We know what the other is thinking in a given situation almost all the time. It's pretty cool to have people who know my thoughts before I speak them.

I'm studying abroad for a quarter right now, and right at the end of last quarter, one of my best friends came over the night before I had to leave for Europe in order to pick up my cactus so they could take care of it while I was away (I don't fancy trying to get a cactus through customs, or trying to negotiate a crowded plane with one). We wound up sitting on my floor and just talking for hours about whatever, going from exchanging silly videos and fandom references to talking about gender and mental health naturally because there are just a lot of respects in which we're very similar people. They're thousands of miles away right now, as is my QPP with whom basically the entirety of high school marching band was one four-year-long glorious friendship moment of bus rides and rehearsals and just really getting each other (and whom I still get the urge to hug through the screen whenever we message each other, even though we've only seen each other once in the past two years because we go to college on opposite sides of the country), but my other best friend is in the same study abroad program I am (in fact, she's the one who encouraged me to apply for it in the first place), and it's been great to just wander around Paris with her and actually enjoy myself for a change, because the past few years haven't been all that kind to me (and neither have most of the ones before them, really). It's a healing process, in a sense, and one that I'm glad to have her company for.

I've realized lately that sometimes, home isn't a place, it's certain people, and even when the continuity of the place where it's supposed to be goes all to heck, the people are what matters.

Goddangit, y'all went and made me get all mushy and crap. *proceeds to die of awkwardness if any of the three people mentioned in this post ever find it because I don't generally feelings this much*

• 4 weeks later...

So me and a couple friends were at a tabletop game with our college's roleplaying club and the game is taking a while to actually start because a lot of people were gone for Easter and there were a lot of side conversations, but it was looking like the game was about to start. And then my friend says she lost her character sheet. So there's a collective "god dammit" and then she goes to get the sheet from her dorm with me and our other friend. While we're walking back the three of us have a heart-to-heart about how glad we are to know each other and it's really sweet. We never did end up starting the game, though.

Also, last night my whole friend group talked about how excited we all are to all live together in a dorm next year instead of just meeting in the dorm where the highest number of us live every night and it's going to be such a beautiful mess.

• 1 month later...

One that really sticks in my mind is going to a park at night with two close friends (we were in our early twenties at the time), climbing up on the climbing frame and singing. We did a passable rendition of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep", despite not knowing all the words. 

I think the first time that my best friend (at the time) called me 'brother' and it just... fit. 

On the bus home from robotics worlds in 2015, when we were all completely sleep deprived, we had a discussion over drive trains that included several drawings, intense gesticulation, and completely physically impossible setups. After a week of competition, this was the first time we had no other obligations, just a long bus ride and new close friendships.

Archived