Anyone else not have squishes?

Well, you're not alone! I've never really experienced or had a squish before. It bothered me a little at first, since it seemed like absolutely everyone had one, but after while I began asking more people and it's not uncommon to not have them. Just like sexuality and romance. 

I've never had them. Sometimes when I've just met a person and they've made a strong impression on me I can feel sort of a general attraction to them that might be a bit similar to what people feel for a squish but that disappears ones I spend some more time with them.

To me squishes feels just as alien as romance.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, Holmbo said:

Sometimes when I've just met a person and they've made a strong impression on me I can feel sort of a general attraction to them that might be a bit similar to what people feel for a squish but that disappears ones I spend some more time with them.

I feel this. I think I've only had one experience that could qualify as a squish, but it's on a friend I've known for like ten years so I don't know if that really counts?

Idk life is weird /shrug

On 13/01/2017 at 4:42 PM, Confidential_Con said:

I hear a lot about the concept of squishes in regards to aromantics and I know we've got several threads on here about them... so does anyone else not have them? For me, it feels a bit isolating, sometimes.

I find the concept rather awkward. Especially the whole "platonic" thing.
When I find that the way I'm attracted to people is very varied. Even if "squish" makes sense for a case where platonic attraction dominates what about if sexual, sensual or aestetic attraction is the strongest? What if platonic attraction is the weakest component?

I've never really had a squish. Mostly crushes years before I first identified as a demiromantic demisexual, but they're the crushes that make you do a second-take and ask yourself a lot of times if this is real, if its you being infatuated, if its hormones and/or society doing the talking and/or just daydreaming silly.

Though I am platonic, I acknowledge that squishes are not universal and there exist aplatonic people. Platonic attraction yields platonic orientations like heteroplatonic, homoplatonic, biplatonic and aplatonic.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:11 PM, Isaac said:

Though I am platonic, I acknowledge that squishes are not universal and there exist aplatonic people. Platonic attraction yields platonic orientations like heteroplatonic, homoplatonic, biplatonic and aplatonic.

Yeah,I agree. I am homoplatonic. I have only experienced 1 squish in my life.

I'm not really all that sure what qualifies as a squish, no matter how often people explain it to me, soooo can't be 100% sure but still pretty certain that I've never had one. 
Like, I have people that I consider my family, though we're not blood related, but what I feel for them is really just bestie friendship. It's platonic, sure. Everything nonsexual is platonic, but it's not something as vague as "between-friendship-and-romantic love". Just plain friendship/family love. 
Sure, I don't want sex nor a romantic relationship from them, but I don't want that with any of my other friends or family either :rofl:

Archived