do aromantic people watch/read romance media?

Log Date 7152

I currently identify with as aroace, however, I've noticed for a while that I do enjoy reading and watching romance related media. For example, I do have a tendency to watch romance anime, may it be BG or GL. I've watched a lot of GL/yuri anime, manga and novels in the past few month. Above that, I sometimes do wish to have a somewhat romantic relationship like those in the stories, but I don't have a particular character of irl person in mind as the 'dating candidate'. Am I still aromatic? or am I a grey romantic?

Yeah you are still aro. A lot of aros still watch romantic media. Some people use labels like "cupioromantic" to describe the fact that they still desire romance despite not feeling attraction, some people just use aro, it is up to you.

Yeah totally.

At the last a-spec meetup I went to, after Heartstopper came up in conversation because of the new season we actually spend around and hour talking about romance media and afterwards shipping and fanfics and at least three of the people at the table who talked about liking that stuff where aromantic (there was also a group of new people there and i don't know how all of them identify so it might have been more) so yeah there definitely are aros who do like romance media. 

But I should also mention that four people ditched us to go play Uno because the topic wasn't all that interesting to them.

• Like 4

the kind of media you enjoy doesn't impact your orientation/identity, lots of aros love romance in media, and alot of us dont, either way donst have anything to do with the attraction you experience in the real world :)

i believe there are different micro labels for whether or not you enjoy romance in media <3

• Like 2

I still find this sort of thing amusing.

I think i've mentioned before about the other things i watch/read/listen to without it impacting my ideas of identity.

enjoying that sort of media doesnt have to do with my ideas on romance any more than thinking the soviet national anthem is an absolute banger defines my politics. or for another example, that my enjoyment of horror relates to what i actually want to do to clueless teenagers in real life.

• Like 3

I read from someone else that being aromantic isn't necessarily an identity revolved around romance consumption, but it is an identity based on one's experience of romantic attraction and how one experiences, or views (or sometimes even how someone feels about) romantic relationships. It is a diverse human experience that someone can embody for any reason, a diverse human experience that is real and that is valid, and that someone who may have these experiences can state that is what they are, or not, because that's the power an individual has over identity. Same thing about asexuality, and if someone who is ace consumes media that has sex in it; the identity is based on experiences in both attraction and relationships, than media consumption.

Like, there's straight people who may like gay romances more than straight ones, and I have gay friends who tend to invest in straight romances more than queer ones, since said romances may come from a show, movie, game, or book that said friends really like. Both people in these scenarios are no less than who they are because of the media they consume.

And as an aroallo who loves romances, I may never experience romantic love ever, but seeing that that is a possibility for other human beings and seeing these amazing stories be crafted around the relationship of two or more people, is breathtaking to me; granted only if written well (^^'')

And I completely understand the romantic-relationship-candidate as pect; maybe not in the way you experience it, but I only really imagine myself in "romantic" relationships with fictional characters. And even then, I'm aro in my imaginations as well - so for the most part, I can't even imagine being in any relationship either for very long lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do a LOT of fandom shipping and i love seeing romance with people develop in tv shows and books

(if you know the fandom my pfp is from and you've watched the second season, yes i cried when [redacted])

i hate cliches but if it's a well developed romance that goes beyond

"i'd do anything for you!" "me too!" "let's make out!" then i am sold