Aro's (and others) who are highly sensitive with possible adhd???

gay vermin boi

I'm highly sensitive but have never been diagnosed with adhd. (I have a lot of traits of adhd inattentive type, but there's overlap with many of these & autism so it's hard to say for sure.) Either way, I think being highly sensitive is a common neurodivergent thing. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:16 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Wym by highly sensitive?

i dont know hwo to explain it very well but i can give you a link that may explain it 

https://www.google.com/search?q=highly+sensitive+person&rlz=1CAOUAQ_enUS970US970&oq=highly+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i131i433i512l2j46i131i433i512j0i512j69i65j69i60l2.3489j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on

• Like 1

I found a link to a test survey by the coiner of the term: https://hsperson.com/test/highly-sensitive-test/

Although I think I don't get it yet. It seems to heavily overlap with anxiety, of which I am diagnosed, and ADD, which I probably have.

Side note, I have been using duck duck go for so long clicking on a link for a Google search led me to being baffled I couldn't find a Wikipedia page. This is probably because the wiki page is sensory processing sensitivity( here if you need it)  ,but still struck me as odd.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I might have adhd, I mean I still keep catching myself talking incessantly, fidgeting around, wading through a storm of thoughts, or being so incredibly inattentive that I don’t realize time pass by. I can’t get myself to do things I don’t want, either because I forget very shortly after or because I just can’t get myself to do it. Even now I’m procrastinating my math homework. XD

I relate to HSP, but I have ADHD which I was thinking kind of explained my high emotions and getting overstimulated. Hmm.

Anyone feel like it confuses their aro-ness? I would almost identify as just aromantic, but I get sort of weird experiences sometimes where I'll have a friend that I get really close to and it gets to the point where I feel like it's almost romantic. Except calling it romantic never quite feels right. I just get super emotionally attached and also get sensual attraction so then I want to cuddle with them and so then I start thinking maybe I'm just lying to myself or something and it is romantic

Edited by AstrophelDragon

1 hour ago, AstrophelDragon said:

I relate to HSP, but I have ADHD which I was thinking kind of explained my high emotions and getting overstimulated. Hmm.

Anyone feel like it confuses their aro-ness? I would almost identify as just aromantic, but I get sort of weird experiences sometimes where I'll have a friend that I get really close to and it gets to the point where I feel like it's almost romantic. Except calling it romantic never quite feels right. I just get super emotionally attached and also get sensual attraction so then I want to cuddle with them and so then I start thinking maybe I'm just lying to myself or something and it is romantic

Oh yeah, I can relate, I thought I had a crush on a guy in my class (I’m a guy so that confuses me more) and when I really thought about it, it wasn’t at all. XD

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

aro spectrum, very ADHD (+ possible 'tism) and very highly sensitive/sensory issues :)

it's. it's just such a wild combo because it mucks with my perception of crushes and squishes so much. for a while I thought I was neurotypical and had no idea that what I thought were these big crushes were actually just hyperfixations, 2 of which became a bit unhealthy. most of the time it's really just squishes but then i go to chase the dopamine and everything gets a bit blurry lol.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:17 AM, HelloThere said:

Oh yeah, I can relate, I thought I had a crush on a guy in my class (I’m a guy so that confuses me more) and when I really thought about it, it wasn’t at all. XD

I feel dude like it's not at all a crush it's just they're very lovely in a platonic way and I'd like to cuddle them lol sensual + platonic attraction ftw :) like that's what makes a QPR sound so appealing to me

I have adhd, I got diagnosed in 3rd grade. I have combined type ADHD, and it affects every part of my life. My personal opinion is that everyone has bits of adhd in them, just like everyone has a few ocd type behaviors. And I personally think that people blame ADHD a bit too much, ADHD runs so so much further than being distracted or heightened emotions. It even runs further on a neuro-chemical level as well. I don't have any problem with other people having ADHD, after all its more people like me. But my best opinion after 7 years of people finding out I have adhd and saying to me "Ooooh I think I have ADHD, I super cannot pay attention when my history teacher is talking" is as follows: go get tested, there are psychologists who study this stuff near you. If you are unable to go get a test, then ADHD or not nothing is offical. I don't wanna be rude, but im at the point where I don't know what to blame on ADHD and what else is living in my brain. 

To answer the main point at hand, I personally think that nerodiversity (ugh, I hate that word) and lgbtqia+ correlate. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of people with ADHD are aromantic, cuz ADHD messes with your brain dude. When you are high on the ADHD spectrum, it really fucks with your thinking and how you act. Idk, maybe im autistic or bipolar, the psychologist is still testing.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, Collie said:

Yep, aro, ADHD, avoidant personality disorder, sensory processing disorder

Update: aro, autism, borderline personality disorder, and sensory processing disorder (which is considered to be a prominent autism trait in my case)

I no longer believe I have ADHD, even tho I have a paper saying I do. But I do relate to the HSP stuff, being autistic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 6:48 PM, Rackson said:

I have adhd, I got diagnosed in 3rd grade. I have combined type ADHD, and it affects every part of my life. My personal opinion is that everyone has bits of adhd in them, just like everyone has a few ocd type behaviors. And I personally think that people blame ADHD a bit too much, ADHD runs so so much further than being distracted or heightened emotions. It even runs further on a neuro-chemical level as well. I don't have any problem with other people having ADHD, after all its more people like me. But my best opinion after 7 years of people finding out I have adhd and saying to me "Ooooh I think I have ADHD, I super cannot pay attention when my history teacher is talking" is as follows: go get tested, there are psychologists who study this stuff near you. If you are unable to go get a test, then ADHD or not nothing is offical. I don't wanna be rude, but im at the point where I don't know what to blame on ADHD and what else is living in my brain. 

To answer the main point at hand, I personally think that nerodiversity (ugh, I hate that word) and lgbtqia+ correlate. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of people with ADHD are aromantic, cuz ADHD messes with your brain dude. When you are high on the ADHD spectrum, it really fucks with your thinking and how you act. Idk, maybe im autistic or bipolar, the psychologist is still testing.

Holy crap, I-it’s been a bit since I last checked arocalypse. School just rolled back around and I’m just a mess. I’m drowning in homework, and the more there is, the more impossible it is for me to actually do that homework. Every single bit of task paralysis is just taking its course, it took my parents practically staring down my shoulder to get it done and my mind has just been so… elsewhere through all the classes I’ve been in. I can’t tell if I just have a strong addiction or hyperfocus with trevorspace, but it’s just looking unhealthier by the day. I’m legitimately worried and concerned for a lot of my next few months in school; and I just can’t seem to work much without the urge to distract myself, stimulate my mind somehow, any way possible. It’s like all the signs are there and I never noticed them before they were all pointed out. I’m fidgety as heck whenever I’m supposed to sit down at the table, my mind is just focusing on trevorspace roleplays constantly, and I’ve gone to incredible lengths to be able to talk again on there as it’s where a significant portion of my daily dopamine comes from. Even right now I’m supposed to write a talk for church and I accidentally wasted half the time away roleplaying and now I’ve done nothing before my parents get back.

• Like 2

right this is me helllooo

I had a difficult childhood and I'm pretty sure it is why i'm so sensitive. I never thought I had adhd, but recently they adjusted the symptoms for adults with adhd and the symtems seem to describe me very well. I'm also autist for sure. No diagnosis on adhd, though my doc literally prescribed meds the second I mentioned thoughts that maybe I'm adhd which I find very questionable

Edited by Just a Bear
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, HelloThere said:

Holy crap, I-it’s been a bit since I last checked arocalypse. School just rolled back around and I’m just a mess. I’m drowning in homework, and the more there is, the more impossible it is for me to actually do that homework. Every single bit of task paralysis is just taking its course, it took my parents practically staring down my shoulder to get it done and my mind has just been so… elsewhere through all the classes I’ve been in. I can’t tell if I just have a strong addiction or hyperfocus with trevorspace, but it’s just looking unhealthier by the day. I’m legitimately worried and concerned for a lot of my next few months in school; and I just can’t seem to work much without the urge to distract myself, stimulate my mind somehow, any way possible. It’s like all the signs are there and I never noticed them before they were all pointed out. I’m fidgety as heck whenever I’m supposed to sit down at the table, my mind is just focusing on trevorspace roleplays constantly, and I’ve gone to incredible lengths to be able to talk again on there as it’s where a significant portion of my daily dopamine comes from. Even right now I’m supposed to write a talk for church and I accidentally wasted half the time away roleplaying and now I’ve done nothing before my parents get back.

Yep

On 9/23/2023 at 12:15 AM, Just a Bear said:

right this is me helllooo

I had a difficult childhood and I'm pretty sure it is why i'm so sensitive. I never thought I had adhd, but recently they adjusted the symptoms for adults with adhd and the symtems seem to describe me very well. I'm also autist for sure. No diagnosis on adhd, though my doc literally prescribed meds the second I mentioned thoughts that maybe I'm adhd which I find very questionable

That's very odd and irresponsible of the doctor, yeah. On the plus side, this gives you an opportunity to just try the meds and see if they help you function better. If you don't have ADHD they have very different affects. (This is assuming the meds are stimulants.)