Places you would like to visit

roboticanary

had a chat with family the other day about places you would love to visit if you could.

I would be interested to hear where other people would like to go to.

for me there are three places that spring to mind

Iguazu Falls - utterly cool looking waterfalls.

Sedlec Ossuary - the good thing is I don't have to worry about a romantic partner not thinking this place is as cool as I think it is.

Plitvice Lakes - incredible looking place in croatia. 

• Like 2

It's impossible currently to visit this place, but I'd love to be able to stand the shores of Kraken Maare - Titan's largest of 3 methane seas. It'd be around -180 centigrade, but if you offered me a trip there while wearing proper protective gear, I'd absolutely take that offer.

• Like 2

I don't really feel like traveling far due to the climate crisis. Because of I suppose my dreams are more about the journey itself than the destination. I'd like to sail on the tres hombres, or a ship like it. And I'd like to ride in a zeppelin. 😄

• Like 3

I want to visit Durango, Colorado again.  I had my first psychotic episode there (bipolar) and I would love to go back.

• Like 1

I was meant to go this Adelaide this June, but due to tight money, it's already too late to say yes. I also wanted to put my name down for Perth as well, but that most likely won't happen either. 

My dream destination is the Northern Territory, despite it's blistering heat, it's a beautiful place with a rich and vibrant Indigenous culture and history. 

Edited by Lovebird
  • Like 1

Either PEI or London

PEI bc I think it's a cool province and also they have seafood n stuff there

London because I think england is a cool country (also there's this specific escape room i wanna go to bc it sounds cool)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Sedlec Ossuary - the good thing is I don't have to worry about a romantic partner not thinking this place is as cool as I think it is.

This is like one of those absurd video game catacombs, which you always found unrealistic, but now REAL. Nothing for the faint-hearted.

17 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Plitvice Lakes - incredible looking place in croatia. 

Oh yes, very recommended, I visited them on a tour through Slovenia and Northern Croatia.

Now I would want to visit:

• Paris for the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay
  • Mont-Saint-Michel (France)
  • Hambach surface mine (Germany) for the Bagger 293
  • Namib Desert
  • I also would like to visit Japan, but honestly this is more like a general feeling, LOL.
  • Egypt for the pyramids

Theoretically Venice, but this city is a synonym for overtourism ...

17 hours ago, Holmbo said:

And I'd like to ride in a zeppelin. 😄

I did ride a zeppelin for 1 hour in Friedrichshafen, at Lake Constance, Germany (this is the only real zeppelin in the world - not a blimp - which you can ride)... it is insanely expensive. Expect like 250 € for 30 minutes, LOL. It was still very worth it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DeltaV said:
  • Paris for the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay

yes, do, the Louvre is absolutely worth it. Also while in paris I would absolutely recommend Sainte-Chapelle.

1 hour ago, DeltaV said:

Oh yes, very recommended, I visited them on a tour through Slovenia and Northern Croatia.

Great, hopefully I can go there some time, good to hear you recommend it

19 hours ago, Deltalorian said:

Kraken Maare - Titan's largest of 3 methane seas

thats where the ewoks live!!

yep, fantastic idea, lets all go on holiday to the fart lake

• Like 2

I would love to see the Northern Lights, so Sweden or Norway would be the obvious places for me as I can drive my campervan there.

2 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Theoretically Venice, but this city is a synonym for overtourism …

Ah I went to the 2017 Venice Biennale and it was awesome! Granted, I went with a friend who knew his way around the back streets were you don’t trip over all the tourists so that helped…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nix said:

I would love to see the Northern Lights, so Sweden or Norway would be the obvious places for me as I can drive my campervan there.

I saw HUGE and intense northern lights in Iceland in July.

According to Capcom, northern lights normally occur in England. As an absolute authority on this matter, I believe them.

But seriously, in November 2021 there was a RARE event where you could see northern lights very far south, like Frisia / southern Baltic coast.

4 hours ago, roboticanary said:

yes, do, the Louvre is absolutely worth it. Also while in paris I would absolutely recommend Sainte-Chapelle.

Definitely!!

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DeltaV said:

But seriously, in November 2021 there was a RARE event where you could see northern lights very far south, like Frisia / southern Baltic coast.

Yeah I remember reading about that after it happened 😔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nix said:

Yeah I remember reading about that after it happened 😔

aww, don't be sad, judging from the photos they pale compared to the Northern Lights I saw in Iceland.

btw, you can get your campervan to Iceland if you take the ferry.

I don't know if that's a good idea, though. Does it have 4x4? The car I rented had that and you really need it for the fords.

Also if you drive around in Iceland, you'll be soon acquainted with a sign saying "MALBIK ENDAR", which means "end of tarred road".

But to me, after a while, it seemed to mean: "Why am I doing this to myself?"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DeltaV said:

aww, don't be sad, judging from the photos they pale compared to the Northern Lights I saw in Iceland.

btw, you can get your campervan to Iceland if you take the ferry.

I don't know if that's a good idea, though. Does it have 4x4? The car I rented had that and you really need it for the fords.

Also if you drive around in Iceland, you'll be soon acquainted with a sign saying "MALBIK ENDAR", which means "end of tarred road".

But to me, after a while, it seemed to mean: "Why am I doing this to myself?"

True, I should just aim for the best view :)

And my campervan is not a 4x4 sadly. It is a Citroen Berlingo that I can equip with a ‘boot jump’ camper conversion plus a tent. So I suppose driving around with it in Iceland is torture for me ánd the car 😅

• Like 2

a couple of places actually

The Poison Garden - garden that holds a bunch of poisonous plants 
Eisriesenwelt - ice cave!! :D
Lake Nyos - a lake that gets carbon dioxide buildup but its so pretty
Waitomo Glowworm Caves - its just pretty
Preikestolen - its a natural viewing platform along a fjord

oh and all of Iceland

• Like 2

9 hours ago, glypharia.exe said:

The Poison Garden

If you are thinking of the one at Alnwick castle then absolute yes, that place is so cool and they sell stinging nettle flavour ice cream outside which is one of the most weirdly tasty things I have ever had.

9 hours ago, glypharia.exe said:

Waitomo Glowworm Caves

wow, I had never heard of this and it looks fantastic. guess the bucket list gets even longer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, glypharia.exe said:

The Poison Garden - garden that holds a bunch of poisonous plants 
Eisriesenwelt - ice cave!! :D
Lake Nyos - a lake that gets carbon dioxide buildup but its so pretty
Waitomo Glowworm Caves - its just pretty
Preikestolen - its a natural viewing platform along a fjord

LOL, I made a conscious effort not to mention anything from THAT book. Though this is IMHO one of the greatest non-fiction works... 😉😉

But yeah, The Poison Garden of Alnwick Castle.... I would like to visit that, too.... in the far North East of England. I only was in England once in the South: Cambridge & London.

Eisriesenwelt is great. But it still pales compared to the caves of Slovenia, IMHO.

Oh, another place I want to visit (not one of the most impressive, but one for which I already booked and planned everything) is: Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe, Kassel, Germany.

It is not mentioned in that certain book, 😉 but an UNESCO World Heritage Site:

Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe is the largest European hillside park, and second largest park on a mountain slope in the world. Its waterworks along with the towering Hercules statue constitute an expression of the ideals of absolutist Monarchy while the ensemble is a remarkable testimony to the aesthetics of the Baroque and Romantic periods.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 4:31 PM, DeltaV said:

I did ride a zeppelin for 1 hour in Friedrichshafen, at Lake Constance, Germany (this is the only real zeppelin in the world - not a blimp - which you can ride)... it is insanely expensive. Expect like 250 € for 30 minutes, LOL. It was still very worth it.

Thanks for the tip. If I would have known a few years ago when I was close by there, in Konstanz. However southern Germany about 24 hour train ride from me so it's feasible for me to go again. I can do a train cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 6:49 PM, Holmbo said:

Thanks for the tip. If I would have known a few years ago when I was close by there, in Konstanz. However southern Germany about 24 hour train ride from me so it's feasible for me to go again. I can do a train cruise.

On some occasions there are special Zeppelin flights in more northern cities (Cologne, Düsseldorf, ...). But if you're that far away anyway, like Sweden, I guess those +/- 500 km do not really matter...

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 1