What made you laugh today/post a lulz

SkyTuneRein

On 5/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, Noble-Harvest-Spear said:

IMG_1060.png

Does it also have this one: Italiot Greek

Italiot Greek, also known as Italic-Greek, Salentino-Calabrian Greek or Apulia-Calabrian Greek refers to two varieties of Modern Greek, spoken in Italy by the Griko people.

Strange world!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This made me bust out laughing not so long ago

Here are some notable comments:

"i love how he gradually goes from sleeping human being to a blubbering mustard abomination" - Darrel Darrenman

"i love how the mustard sprayer puts his finger to his mouth to say "gotta be quiet" and then proceeds to open the loudest door in the history of mankind" - patties on a mf grill

"The sputtering, the random blubbering, the coughing, the "Oh shit." Everything about this is beautiful." - Digital Apex

"I love how he stops at the door like Shrek protecting his swamp" - Lando Carlrissian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Nix said:

My name is spelled with one ‘l’ but you won’t believe how many people send (or reply to) an email and use two so I really feel this one:

I literally got my name misspelled once in the official ID card.

Maybe I should've taken this as a chance to start a new life without all the baggage 😄 ... and also without any social security benefits, uh-oh. 🫣

I thought people spelling my name wrong were impolite, but after this experience ... if the civil servant who does nothing all day but issuing ID cards spells it wrong, they're forgiven. 😇

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeltaAro said:

Maybe I should've taken this as a chance to start a new life without all the baggage 😄 ... and also without any social security benefits, uh-oh. 🫣

I thought people spelling my name wrong were impolite, but after this experience ... if the civil servant who does nothing all day but issuing ID cards spells it wrong, they're forgiven. 😇

That’s wild! And agreed, that person will be forgiven ;)

On 7/22/2023 at 12:03 PM, DeltaAro said:

I once needed to replace my Social Security card, but it was difficult because the agency had my mother's maiden name wrong. She was married twice, but it wasn't either of those names either. Just some random surname that they somehow attached to her - & probably still do.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:33 AM, Alaska Native Manitou said:

I once needed to replace my Social Security card, but it was difficult because the agency had my mother's maiden name wrong. She was married twice, but it wasn't either of those names either. Just some random surname that they somehow attached to her - & probably still do.

When that happened to me, I had to search for my birth certificate, which was still in my parents' house, and very well hidden under layers and layers... it took me the whole weekend to find it! 🥵 But it was more than overdue to take that to a safe place.

PS: my aunt lives in New Zealand and her first name is "Julika" - maybe an unusual name there.

90% of clerks there seem to think like:

"I don't believe your name is Julika. That's not a real name. You must have miswritten your name. You surely meant Julia, so I'll enter Julia. I don't even need to ask for confirmation!"

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 11:54 PM, DeltaAro said:

image.png.917e9988e34032e94009af64207c06d8.png

Today on CNN

Hehe I'm not even gonna read it because I'm already convinced all Britts hate cooking. If anyone wants more weird British food you could listen to the comedy podcast Off menu where each guest describe their dream meal. I listen to the episode with Nick Mohammed and his meal was very weird.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 3:03 PM, DeltaAro said:

I have quite the opposite reaction. If a civil servant, who's whole job is to deal with a concoction of various names day by day gets it wrong, they should not be a civil servant, and/or there is something clearly wrong with the bureaucratic apparatus. Names are sacred, and any human being with a shred of respect for fellow human beings ought to make sure to treat their names with the respect they deserve. Dealing with US civil servants specifically gets so unbearable, that they often drop multiple letters, add multiple letters that aren't there (PS, my name is a super common one that consists of 8 letters, there is no excuse) and even just rearrange the letters of my name completely at random and expect me to recognize it. Yes, disrespect is fully intended behind such behavior, especially in the day and age where copy+paste exists, and I submit all my forms digitally so there literally is no excuse to get my name wrong.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, Holmbo said:

Hehe I'm not even gonna read it because I'm already convinced all Britts hate cooking.

Some of it can be difficult to cook, e.g. Christmas pudding. And honestly, I haven't tried most of the dishes. My aversion comes from two reasons: the "meat" (offals, suet). And its calorie density.

Of course, back in the days 100 % of the animal was used, couldn't let anything go to waste. But in other countries, those recipes didn't become national dishes.

I wonder what traditionally happened with the good pieces of meat? Were they exported? And the money spent on gardening? 😏

I like British tea (and shortbread), though. OTOH, though I'm a weeb, I don't like Japanese tea.

On 8/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, Firebird said:

I have quite the opposite reaction. If a civil servant, who's whole job is to deal with a concoction of various names day by day gets it wrong, they should not be a civil servant, and/or there is something clearly wrong with the bureaucratic apparatus.

Certainly. And it's the latter option. The full story is convoluted... so let's jump to ...

tl;dr wrong IT decision (first ASCII database instead of Unicode, but later switching to Unicode), software of questionable value rolled out ("helping" clerks with an MS-Office-like autocorrect feature); clerks weren't properly trained

I just think that civil servants never get any compliments, only blame, since it's a job where the best you can do is to be correct.

On 8/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, Firebird said:

Yes, disrespect is fully intended behind such behavior, especially in the day and age where copy+paste exists, and I submit all my forms digitally so there literally is no excuse to get my name wrong.

It's nice that you take care. I also try to do it. And even go the extra mile when talking to international clients, to make some effort to get the pronunciation at least roughly correct. E.g. not pronouncing Chinese "Xu" as "Ksu".

But sometimes genuine mistakes happen. Also, I'm always shocked how clumsy some people are when using a computer...

In some cases, it's general (cultural) ignorance. Like my aunt Julika is made a "Julia" literally all the time. Probably the brain "autocorrects" this for some people.

• 2 weeks later...