Correlation between MBTI (Myers Briggs types) and aromanticism/asexuality?

Tinkere

• 5 months later...
Guest Just A Person
On 4/19/2022 at 8:37 PM, Wesley said:

It’s ironic because I’m an INFP (supposedly the “hopeless romantic”) but I’m aroace 

Same.When I read the romantic relationships bit for fun I was like 😑

3 hours ago, Harvest said:

A thread like this would definitely work better as a poll, easier for collecting data.

See here. You can add more than one question, but I don't think you can extract the data to calculate correlation, so I left out questions about sexual and romantic orientation.

Anyway, the MBTI isn't a good tool for scientific analyses. Haha. It chops up a continuum into binary categories. But what I really like about it is that it doesn't contain negative traits.

Big Five may be 1000 times more accurate and scientific, it's not something you could ever use for community building or as a tool to get to know each other.

Just imagine you casually do Big Five with your classmates or coworkers, and find out that some score very high at neuroticism. 😧

• Like 1

I actually love learning about people's Big 5 to get to know them. In particular I find knowing people's agreeableness levels very useful because from my experience it impacts social interaction the most. 

I'm very neurotic myself and most of my friends are so I would probably be unphased 😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, Tinkere said:

As a pretty committed  member of the MBTI community, I’ve seen a lot of INTPs and INTJs identify as aro/ace. I know it’s probably mostly got to do with their functions (mostly referring to INTP here), but I was wondering, if any of you guys know, I’d like to hear what mbti types you are, and see if there’s some sort of correlation! I’m an aro INTP, and my sister is an ace INTJ :)

Im istj:) but my s and n were very close 

Im aro and somewhere on ace spectrum 

Edited by dordor

At one point in time MBTI was very important for me to understand myself and how others might differ from me. I'm very strong in the Intuition and Thinking and when I realized some people are more sensing or feeling I could better understand them. But now days I don't really think about those indicators anymore and I feel at times they get too much interest considering they're not really used in psychology.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 8:07 PM, opal said:

im an aroace isfp

Then you gotta do the poll. I know you did not because you're the first ISFP 🦄 here !

So no excuses! 😉

On 11/27/2023 at 8:02 PM, Holmbo said:

I'm very strong in the Intuition and Thinking and when I realized some people are more sensing or feeling I could better understand them.

I'm 📣 INFP, 📣 for everyone who still doesn't know! 📣 INFP, INFP, I-N-F-P!! 📣

OK - I'm very strong on N and P, not so much F.

S vs. N reminds me of William James' "tough-minded" vs. "tender-minded".

THE TENDER-MINDED

Rationalistic (going by 'principles'), Intellectualistic, Idealistic, Optimistic, Religious, Free-willist, Monistic, Dogmatical.

THE TOUGH-MINDED

Empiricist (going by 'facts'), Sensationalistic, Materialistic, Pessimistic, Irreligious, Fatalistic, Pluralistic, Sceptical.

[...]

If any of you here are professional philosophers, and some of you I know to be such, you will doubtless have felt my discourse so far to have been crude in an unpardonable, nay, in an almost incredible degree. Tender-minded and tough-minded, what a barbaric disjunction!

(William James: Pragmatism)

So IMHO, this axis makes sense. I'm "tender-minded" ... what?

I-E axis is also part of Big 5, obviously makes sense.

F-T is so obvious that it was used in "folk psychology" since forever.

P vs. J ... I don't know, never cared much about this axis.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:02 PM, Holmbo said:

considering they're not really used in psychology.

How big of a sin is "science denial" when it comes to psychology? 😆

I just dislike that you can't be neutral on an axis in the MBTI. That's ... obviously wrong.

They should create a more "scientific" test, that doesn't include bad traits, as Big 5 does. As I said before, neuroticism is simply bad, period.

Except for extroverted-introverted, the other traits also seem biased in the direction: conscientious, agreeable*, open.

* OK, theoretically, "agreeable" could be bad if it means you follow immoral authorities. But then please name and describe it differently. "Disagreeable" sounds simply negative to me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

📣

They should create a more "scientific" test, that doesn't include bad traits, as Big 5 does. As I said before, neuroticism is simply bad, period.

Except for extroverted-introverted, the other traits also seem biased in the direction: conscientious, agreeable*, open.

I agree on that point. Maybe if they just find other words which are more neutral to describe kinda the same thing. Like neuroticism could be named "vigilance" or something. And agreeable could be "acquiescing" or something like that.

But even with changed words I suppose there still would be a bias towards (using the current terms) high openness, conscientiousness, extrovertion, agreeableness and low neuroticism.