Correlation between MBTI (Myers Briggs types) and aromanticism/asexuality?

Tinkere

On 11/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, Holmbo said:

I agree on that point. Maybe if they just find other words which are more neutral to describe kinda the same thing. Like neuroticism could be named "vigilance" or something. And agreeable could be "acquiescing" or something like that.

But neuroticism isn't vigilance. Vigilance is a balanced and appropriate attitude. Neuroticism is fundamentally maladaptive, that's how it is defined.

I even wonder why neuroticism is considered a personality trait. It seems super-dependent on axis I disorders, which (when untreated) tend to ebb and flow over time. E.g. a serious episode of OCD can send someone's neuroticism to overdrive. Those disorders also can be successfully treated... did we change personality by that? Nah...

Or maybe there's a subtle difference between neurotic behaviors and core neurotic attitudes that I don't see.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, Holmbo said:

But even with changed words I suppose there still would be a bias towards (using the current terms) high openness, conscientiousness, extrovertion, agreeableness and low neuroticism.

In any case, choosing a new term for neuroticism while keeping the definition, is putting lipstick on a pig.

This category simply has to be removed for any personality test that has community-building, sharing about oneself and getting to know each other as a goal.

And sure, I agree that some bias is unavoidable. But a test with the mentioned social goals should have only categories that people realistically can accept and don't (in many cases) try to deny or hide.

E.g. while in Western cultures extroversion is higher valued, introversion is still something you can "own" and that has also its positive aspects (and it's more appreciated in Asian cultures).

• Like 1

@DeltaArooyeah after reading about it I agree regarding neuroticism. I also read that the big five started to be first used in the eighties. That's around 40 years ago. There's a world of difference in what we know about psychology now compared to then.

It seems to me like neuroticism is too much of a catch-all for undesirable feelings. Why should for example anxiety and envy be in the same category. Unless there's clear correlation between those feelings I was unaware of. 

Now this discussion makes me wonder what kind of axis of personality type would be most interesting for aros to use. We should make one with traits that differ among ourselves.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Just like you

Asexual entp in love with a probably asexual intj *-*

My best (and only)friend is an aromantic istp though:) 

And nice to mention that I'm an iranian shie muslim 

• 3 weeks later...

As an aro who used to be very into MBTI this thread feels very targeted XD

I don't really put a huge stake in MBTI anymore, but I'm an ISTP, and every other ISTP I know is pretty apathetic about dating, whether they're aro or not. I also know an aro INTP and INFP, an aro-spec ESTP, and an ace INFJ.

• 2 weeks later...