Correlation between MBTI (Myers Briggs types) and aromanticism/asexuality?

Tinkere

• 3 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Tinkere said:

As a pretty committed  member of the MBTI community, I’ve seen a lot of INTPs and INTJs identify as aro/ace. I know it’s probably mostly got to do with their functions (mostly referring to INTP here), but I was wondering, if any of you guys know, I’d like to hear what mbti types you are, and see if there’s some sort of correlation! I’m an aro INTP, and my sister is an ace INTJ :)

I'm INFP, and I'm aromantic and quoisexual. I took the MBTI test multiple times.

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 6:05 AM, glypharia.exe said:

INFP-T and aroace which is weird cause we're categorized as the "Hopeless Romantics"

Hello, fellow aro INFP! We seem to be a rare kind.

There are rumored to be other emotions than romance. So it's perhaps not contradictory. 😉 But it still feels weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rationalcucumber said:

I don't really believe in MBTI (it's like astrology for nerds) but I did it out of curiosity once and I got INTP. I feel like the description just lists off my autism symptoms but alright 🤷‍♂️

I heard this so often and I'm always surprised by it. To me MBTI is just yet another grouping of humans. Like Plato's (gold, silver, iron or bronze), humorism (sanguine, phlegmatic, ...) or Nietzsche's Apollonian vs. Dionysian, etc.

I don't think those concepts were ever meant to be hard empirical science, more like philosophical or artistic.

Astrology OTOH is way more complex, very ancient (it developed independently all over the world) and makes a very, very bold claim: the stars have a strong influence on our lives.

Now I want astrology to be true, but I'm skeptical. E. g. I am aardvark with griffin ascendant. The strongest combination ... the world should bow to me, but this is not at all the case... 😞

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 2:20 PM, DeltaV said:

I heard this so often and I'm always surprised by it. To me MBTI is just yet another grouping of humans. Like Plato's (gold, silver, iron or bronze), humorism (sanguine, phlegmatic, ...) or Nietzsche's Apollonian vs. Dionysian, etc.

I don't think those concepts were ever meant to be hard empirical science, more like philosophical or artistic.

Astrology OTOH is way more complex, very ancient (it developed independently all over the world) and makes a very, very bold claim: the stars have a strong influence on our lives.

Now I want astrology to be true, but I'm skeptical. E. g. I am aardvark with griffin ascendant. The strongest combination ... the world should bow to me, but this is not at all the case... 😞

Interesting you should bring that up. I've recently been reading about Medieval Astrology, and am going to look into Jyotish (Hindu Astrology). I'm not totally bought into its predictive ability, I'm just giving it a chance while I fill in some gaps in my knowledge of Occult lore. However I have been looking at my birth chart and Venus is retrograde and squared with conjuncted Mars and Saturn, and moving in opposite directions. My younger brother, who I suspect is AroAce, also has a retrograde Venus. That's a pretty interesting coincidence, whether or not you believe in it.

• Like 3

If you asked me this question 2 days ago I'd have answered INTJ without hesitation. But then I had a revelation. Whenever I have to "extrovert" like at work, I'm spending quite a bit of time taking care of others, especially when I'm with family. Even my job is all about service. Hell, half of my posts on this forum are giving advice to others! I thought I was an "efficiency" type of person, and the way I experience myself is as logical and calculating. I've been absolutely certain I'm Ni dom for quite some time, and that I'm a thinker. So it makes sense. Until you consider the relationship between the first and third functions. Because I'm good at figuring out problems, I took my thinking to be extroverted. But then earlier today I encountered a math problem most would consider intimidating, but I closed my eyes, pictured it and solved it in moments! This is trademark Introverted Thinking, Ti. I have Ni as my dom, making my inferior Se. And I use Ti to solve problems, and since I already have an introverted perceiving function in the dominant slot, it has to be my tertiary. What does that leave room for? Extroverted Feeling, Fe, and there's only one place left in the stack to put it. That's right folks! You're friendly neighborhood warlock is an INFJ!

It goes to show you can always discover something new about your type. It just takes constant vigilance and tireless self reflection.

As an aside, for those people who think it's weird for a Feeler to be Aro, look at Nik Hampshire. That guy's an ESFP all the way.

• Like 3

Does anyone else find that their ennegram, though less 'detailed' (I'm not sure if that is the right word, feel free to suggest an alternative) than the MBTI system, is more accurate at describing themselves? I don't even really believe in typology I just find it interesting. I suppose it may be because ennegram has more of a focus on motivation/basic desires, which I think are more relevant to me.

Also it seems the most common might be INTP, funny because the PDB community agrees lmao.

Edited by Harvest
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Harvest said:

Does anyone else find that their ennegram, though less 'detailed' (I'm not sure if that is the right word, feel free to suggest an alternative) than the MBTI system, is more accurate at describing themselves? I don't even really believe in typology I just find it interesting. I suppose it may be because ennegram has more of a focus on motivation/basic desires, which I think are more relevant to me.

Also it seems the most common might be INTP, funny because the PDB community agrees lmao.

Really? You had me guessing you're an ENFP. Besides, typology isn't something to be "believed in" it's simply a tool for helping you understand yourself. It's not meant to be strictly scientific, just practical. As a matter of fact I have doubts about the scientific status of mainstream psychology itself. The more I've observed the developments of "scientific" psychology over the last decade, the more it's beginning to look like a post-modern Western Yoga that uses scientific sounding jargon. Even the Buddhist derived practice of Vippassana (Insight Meditation) has been appropriated into psychiatric practice under the name "Cognitive Behavior Therapy"! On the other side of it, I've heard physicists admit the mind may be beyond the pale of scientific examination. That leaves us with the burdensome freedom of choosing for ourselves which way of understanding works best.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Gray Warlock said:

Interesting you should bring that up. I've recently been reading about Medieval Astrology, and am going to look into Jyotish (Hindu Astrology). I'm not totally bought into its predictive ability, I'm just giving it a chance while I fill in some gaps in my knowledge of Occult lore. However I have been looking at my birth chart and Venus is retrograde and squared with conjuncted Mars and Saturn, and moving in opposite directions. My younger brother, who I suspect is AroAce, also has a retrograde Venus. That's a pretty interesting coincidence, whether or not you believe in it.

Though Griffin and Aardvark were made up by me and (obviously) do not occur in any astrology system (an aro zodiac would still be kinda fun), the truth is that according to my horoscope I should be head of state now. Yeah... didn't exactly work out. 😃 Admittedly, you would have to force me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aroace ISTP(-T) (represented by the guy holding a drill, and consistently referred to as LOVING hands-on practical work, despite me sitting around all day doing nothing). I don't set much store by these things, but I like doing quizzes and it's all in good fun. Plus, no matter how many times I take the quiz, even if I think I gave wildly different answers to my last set, I always get Mr. Drill. I've become pretty attached to him ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, root22 said:

I don't believe in that stuff.

I believe that a high-powered study might find some correlations between Myers-Briggs type and life choices.

Probably also true for the Hogwarts Houses personality type. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...