Sologamy: Alone, Sexless, and Loving It

The word is a bit strange, seeing as "-gamy" comes from the Ancient Greek for "marriage". Would "sologamy" not mean the same thing as monogamy? Perhaps "agamy" would fit better, though it itself sounds awkward.

27 minutes ago, DeMorgan said:

The word is a bit strange, seeing as "-gamy" comes from the Ancient Greek for "marriage". Would "sologamy" not mean the same thing as monogamy? Perhaps "agamy" would fit better, though it itself sounds awkward.

I had googled it after I read this article, and it appeared the first articles mentioning sologamy actually meant marrying yourself, hence solo marriage. Just guessing.

2 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Wouldn't Autogamy be the right word?

"Auto-" means "self", so I wouldn't think so. You'd want to not have a marriage, so it'd have to be nongamy or agamy, or something like that. There's gotta be a better prefix...

EDIT: YOU'RE RIGHT IF YOU WERE RESPONDING TO EDDIE... AND DAMN THIS FONT LOOKS COOL IN CAPSLOCKED BOLD...

I'll be turning 27 in few months and have never had a partner, nor have I pursued one. I'm quite content never having had one. The idea of never having one isn't a concern for me either. This could be a thing for me, but I'm not going to commit to it. Anything is possible for me, I suppose.

On 4/8/2016 at 5:43 PM, DeMorgan said:

agamy sounds kind of like agony though and I don't think that's a good connotation

• 4 months later...

Great article! 

The only quibble I had with it is the term 'self-identify'.  To me, that is one of those terms used to invalidate, akin to 'self-diagnosed'.  Not only that, it kind of implies that to be taken seriously as an asexual, you have to be diagnosed by some sort of medical/mental health professional.  Can you imagine the upheaval if an article used the phrase 'self-identified homosexual'?

They're orientations, for crying out loud!  Who else is going to identify them but the person who claims them?!?  Sheesh...

And the reason for their life satisfaction is that they’re not sitting alone in a dark room with the curtains drawn and the phone unplugged, analyzing the confessional poetry of Sylvia Plath.

Hey now, nobody asked me if they could talk about my life in high school for this article :P

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2016 at 10:30 AM, UncommonNonsense said:

Great article! 

The only quibble I had with it is the term 'self-identify'.  To me, that is one of those terms used to invalidate, akin to 'self-diagnosed'.  Not only that, it kind of implies that to be taken seriously as an asexual, you have to be diagnosed by some sort of medical/mental health professional.  Can you imagine the upheaval if an article used the phrase 'self-identified homosexual'?

They're orientations, for crying out loud!  Who else is going to identify them but the person who claims them?!?  Sheesh...

I've seen research articles use that phrase, and not with any intent to invalidate people. It's often valuable to distinguish between people who show the characteristics of a certain category and people who call themselves that, because they might not completely match up. Researchers find some different results when they look at people who seek out same-sex relationships (regardless of identity) as opposed to people who self-identify as gay or bisexual. For example, men who have sex with men are often sexual abuse survivors, but there's no real link between identifying as gay or bi and being an abuse survivor. Which suggests that there's a lot of male sexual abuse survivors who have sex with men but don't identify as gay or bi.       

Archived