aromantic culture

23 hours ago, NebulousKing said:

What about Hippolytus, was he not also a male that hunted alongside Artemis? As well as Orion.

Tbh that is one side of the story i haven't read. It may be possible, but the understanding I have is that the relationship between him and Artemis wasn't of directly going on hunts, it was more of goddess and prayer. Orion, on the other hand, was acknowledged by Artemis personally as a hunter because she saw that Orion hunted and respected the kill. The beautiful thing I love of mythology is all the conflicting stories using the same characters. Cuz another sotry of Orion was that he was a perv and chased girls like a hunt, and in one of those chasings, the girls prayed to Zeus to let them escape him and Zeus transformed them into stars. BUT after Orion died, Zeus transformed Orion in a star too so he could continue the chase. Mythology is a world in itself.

3 hours ago, Blake said:

The beautiful thing I love of mythology is all the conflicting stories using the same characters. Cuz another sotry of Orion was that he was a perv and chased girls like a hunt, and in one of those chasings, the girls prayed to Zeus to let them escape him and Zeus transformed them into stars. BUT after Orion died, Zeus transformed Orion in a star too so he could continue the chase. Mythology is a world in itself.

See this is the legend I heard. I wonder how these two very conflicting Orion stories came about, historically.

8 hours ago, NebulousKing said:

See this is the legend I heard. I wonder how these two very conflicting Orion stories came about, historically.

Easy (yay I can answer this). People around the world did not meet one another rather frequently, so the way that a mythos was transmitted was vocally, from person to person. This was before Homer made his works, and after too, because if I write a book, only those that are nearby will know about it, not the entire world. So, if I see the stars, I will come up with a way to explain it based on my religion. But that doesn't mean that another one will try the same. At the end of the day you hear what is more prevalent, (Homer/Hesiod/ etc), and it wasn't until Herodotus started the idea of preserving the story in literal stone, that history started being kept. Herodotus traveled what he thought was the world recording oral history, that was the beginning of the preservation of history. But before that the recording of history came to be, everyone had their own theory of things, thus when recorded, there where many versions of it. playwrights like Arisophanes also contributed to the mythos, since they gave their own versions of mythology. :3 Hope it could help you.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Yellow roses is something I’ve caught onto. Roses are heavily romance-coded in society, specifically the red ones. But I think a lot of people tend to neglect how the different colors all have varying meanings. 

For instance, yellow roses often symbolize friendship and platonic relationships. I love how warm they look, and how simple + sweet the meaning is. And the yellow goes full circle to one of the original aro pride flag designs. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
Guest SometimesButterflies

I've recently realized I'm greyromantic, and been looking for some symbols that are unique to aros. I like the things suggested here.

I think hats is also a bit of aro culture. It's hard to describe but hats are one of the few accessories that don't have a romantic association with them. Jewelry in general (like necklaces) are associated with romance. Engagement rings, necklaces on valentine's. But hats? Can be given as a gift just because, and from anyone. Parents, friends, siblings, or partners (if you have one).

There are also so many types of hats, so no matter your style you can fit a hat into it.

11 hours ago, Guest SometimesButterflies said:

I think hats is also a bit of aro culture. It's hard to describe but hats are one of the few accessories that don't have a romantic association with them. Jewelry in general (like necklaces) are associated with romance. Engagement rings, necklaces on valentine's. But hats? Can be given as a gift just because, and from anyone. Parents, friends, siblings, or partners (if you have one).

Oh yeah! I like the idea. I also like hats. Same can be safe about scarfs, but I like hats better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, bat said:

What do we think of pickles

I think its the best idea I've ever heard! They're Green and tast good and if you switch the L with the E you have the german word Pickels 

Neko wants some pickles now

• Like 2

Guest KoeeseSimp

Okay, so, I decided to read everyone's replies in here and mesh together some of it, and this is what I put together;
- Arrows
~~ The Hunters of Artemis was a girl group where basically you sign off dating and was a place to protect girls from men. The only male hunter was a guy named Orion, but otherwise, no guys allowed.
- The green heart emoji
- The color green
- Calling out others that ditch friends in favor of their romantic partner
- Asking people what crushes feel like in order to see if it makes sense, this time
- Ice cream (bonus points if it's green)
- Anti-romance sentiments (not every aro is against romance, but this is definitely a bit part of the memes)
- Cats
- Griffins as an alternative to dragons (dragons are a bit, more ace culture than aro)
- Frogs bc they're green
- White ring on middle finger on left hand
- Pizza
- Puns (a bit more ace culture, but I have seen a few aro puns here and there)
- Reptiles bc they're green
- Aliens bc they're green
- Writing or reading fiction with arospec characters
- Yellow roses bc they symbolize friendship and platonic relationships (and apparently the original aromantic pride flag had yellow in it, so yellow can be a secondary color that aromantics sometimes claim)
- Swell sharks bc sharks tend to be sweet and nice, and swell sharks glow green
- Hats, scarfs, and jewelry ((but what kind????))
- Queerplatonic fandom ships

• 3 weeks later...

We should also pick media which is kinda tangentially related to aromanticism and just claim it as aro culture. Kinda like gays have claimed the wizard of oz.

But it must be a really famous one so that it can be generally known. I vote for Shawshank redemption because it's a good movie, has no romance in it and it's very well known.

• Like 2

Cats, frogs, dragons, aliens, garlic bread, flowers, and I find that we're either eternally tired and quiet, full of puns, or both. That's just what I think of though, and maybe some of these are more so ace. But also, ice cream!

Edited by Badger for the Aros
  • Like 1

Guest Rigure
On 8/22/2019 at 5:13 AM, Chibi Sam Winchester said:

-Archery because arrow

-Dragons because green

-Frogs because green

-Reptiles because green

-Pets in general because it sort of symbolizes lack of wanting a partner (i.e. having a pet instead)

-Aliens because green also because we often feel alienated or misunderstood

-Pirates because I dunno I rlly like pirates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :aroicecream:

Pirates because rather than having a romantic partner be your treasure, you might just want gold! Love can't buy ya a new rapier!