lonelyace

aromantic culture

23 hours ago, NebulousKing said:

What about Hippolytus, was he not also a male that hunted alongside Artemis? As well as Orion.

Tbh that is one side of the story i haven't read. It may be possible, but the understanding I have is that the relationship between him and Artemis wasn't of directly going on hunts, it was more of goddess and prayer. Orion, on the other hand, was acknowledged by Artemis personally as a hunter because she saw that Orion hunted and respected the kill. The beautiful thing I love of mythology is all the conflicting stories using the same characters. Cuz another sotry of Orion was that he was a perv and chased girls like a hunt, and in one of those chasings, the girls prayed to Zeus to let them escape him and Zeus transformed them into stars. BUT after Orion died, Zeus transformed Orion in a star too so he could continue the chase. Mythology is a world in itself.

3 hours ago, Blake said:

The beautiful thing I love of mythology is all the conflicting stories using the same characters. Cuz another sotry of Orion was that he was a perv and chased girls like a hunt, and in one of those chasings, the girls prayed to Zeus to let them escape him and Zeus transformed them into stars. BUT after Orion died, Zeus transformed Orion in a star too so he could continue the chase. Mythology is a world in itself.

See this is the legend I heard. I wonder how these two very conflicting Orion stories came about, historically.

8 hours ago, NebulousKing said:

See this is the legend I heard. I wonder how these two very conflicting Orion stories came about, historically.

Easy (yay I can answer this). People around the world did not meet one another rather frequently, so the way that a mythos was transmitted was vocally, from person to person. This was before Homer made his works, and after too, because if I write a book, only those that are nearby will know about it, not the entire world. So, if I see the stars, I will come up with a way to explain it based on my religion. But that doesn't mean that another one will try the same. At the end of the day you hear what is more prevalent, (Homer/Hesiod/ etc), and it wasn't until Herodotus started the idea of preserving the story in literal stone, that history started being kept. Herodotus traveled what he thought was the world recording oral history, that was the beginning of the preservation of history. But before that the recording of history came to be, everyone had their own theory of things, thus when recorded, there where many versions of it. playwrights like Arisophanes also contributed to the mythos, since they gave their own versions of mythology. :3 Hope it could help you.