aromantic culture

8 hours ago, SpearHarvest said:

Besides the usual stereotypes that go with those species, they have green blood so they'd probably blush green, which is an aro colour.

Yeah, but now I've seen Spock and T'Pring in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. To me that seemed more like... two high functioning aspies in love. And not aro.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpearHarvest said:

Besides the usual stereotypes that go with those species, they have green blood so they'd probably blush green, which is an aro colour.

I think there is a type of skink that has green blood. not sure if they blush but maybe they are aro culture

• Like 2

also idk if this has been mentioned before but aroallos specifically use the pineapple emoji from what I've seen 🍍 because the aroallo flag has yellow and green

For that same reason, I propose: 🌽

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 7:29 PM, DeltaV said:

"I'm a proud aro frog warrior and the strongest of my tribe, protesting against amatonormativity. So show me your respect!"

good work, I never got to learn the beautiful language of frog, only foreign languages my school offered were french and german. Starting to feel like I am missing out.

are any other languages aro?

I guess since there are romance languages there must be aro languages

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

German is very unromantic at least

If only. German-speaking poets produced a nigh infinite supply of romo-cringe. To sift through all of that would be a project for a lifetime.

Just take J. W. Goethe (widely regarded as the most important writer in the German language) - full of romo drama! Already his first novel "Sorrows of Young Werther" is about a young man who commits suicide because of unrequited love. It got so bad authorities back then banned the book because of copycat suicides (also known as the "Werther effect").

Of course, if you know German only from Rammstein and Nietzsche, it might seem aro, yeah. But I guess in this way all languages are aro.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Of course, if you know German only from Rammstein and Nietzsche, it might seem aro, yeah. But I guess in this way all languages are aro.

I'm thinking more about the sound of a language and not about what cultural works are written in it.

In that case we should have a follow up question about which culture is most aro.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I'm thinking more about the sound of a language and not about what cultural works are written in it.

I don't think languages can sound inherently romantic. 😃

It's probably a mixture of:

1. international cultural association (not surprising for all the Romance languages, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese)
  2. if the sound of the language is perceived pleasing - generally this applies to languages with lots of vowels and soft consonants, that are melodic, rhythmic and without guttural or uvular sounds.

Regarding 1., the culture of a language could be super-romantic but if it's "unfairly" 😉 not perceived that way internationally, it would be irrelevant. So I focused on that part in my last post.

Regarding 2., obviously this is pretty subjective. But I guess there's another way more important "unfairness" here: Languages have variations and dialects which can make them sound drastically different.

E. g. Portuguese is supposed to be beautiful... but I'd say: "You don't mean European Portuguese, do you?".

So Brazilian is representative for Portuguese, which sounds 1000x better (IMHO).

Dutch is also not regarded as very romantic since it's so harsh. But Belgian Dutch sounds beautiful to me, it's considerably more soft and pleasing (IMHO). This variant is just not representative for the language.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...