I wonder if Sweden is an especially good country to be aromantic in

Holmbo

I was thinking about some of the characteristics of my home country and that those might make it quite a suitable one for aromantics.
It has the highest level of singles in the world. One third of every Swede lives alone (which doesn't have to correspond with if they are involved in a romantic relationship with someone, but there's most certainly a correlation). The equality between men and women is higher than most countries which would give women in general better opportunities to be valued in other rolls for other things than being wifes or mothers. Also there's an acceptance (mainly just a don't give shit attitude) for peoples sexual and romantic preferences.

I don't mean to promote Sweden. (I'll add for balance that the segregation based on ethinicty is super high and the lack of housing severe in every major city)
But it did strike me that it seems favorable to aromantics. Has any of you noticed different attitudes to aromantics in different countries/cities you've been in?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I felt Sweden to be less aro-friendly than Denmark where I live.

I feel alot of my Swedish friends tend to be more influenced by the amatonormative life compared to the People in Denmark, like alot more of them are marriaged or had been from a younger age and talk about relationships.

Also I tried to spread some awareness in Sweden and I found the lgbt comunity pretty hard to reach for such topic, same goes for finding people just going to AVEN there hardly are any topics for swedes compared to danish (sure this is for asexuals but what influences aces also influences aros). 

this may not be the same for the whole population but I diffently feel the atitute within the lgbt groups are different in sweden and Denmark also when it comes to being aro.

I do however thing there are certain things in Scandinavian cultures that may make it more easy being aro because things such as valentines day or prom really arnt part of the culture but just importated traditions like halloween. and there are words for a person you live with unspecified who that is. and for sure most people DONT NEED a partner in the sense that they can support themself economically regardless of gender. A partner may even be a bad thing if you economy isnt good because the requirement for getting wellfair is that your partner cant support you (at least thats how it is in Denmark dont know about the other countries)

11 hours ago, Natkat said:

I feel alot of my Swedish friends tend to be more influenced by the amatonormative life compared to the People in Denmark, like alot more of them are marriaged or had been from a younger age and talk about relationships.

Though there is the Danish tradition of throwing spices over unmarried people on their birthdays.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Though there is the Danish tradition of throwing spices over unmarried people on their birthdays.

on the 25th or 30th birthday yes but denmark has alot of fucked up traditions. xD 

They also have tradition for pouring water down at someones trousher when you turn 15 or you cut off the tip of a person socks when they get marriaged.

3 hours ago, Natkat said:

on the 25th or 30th birthday yes but denmark has alot of fucked up traditions. xD 

They also have tradition for pouring water down at someones trousher when you turn 15 or you cut off the tip of a person socks when they get marriaged.

And I thought Iceland's tradition of 'believing in elves  but they know it's not real although they did stop building a motorway because it went through an area which would upset the elves so how far into the game are they really?' was weird. 

1 hour ago, Louis Hypo said:

And I thought Iceland's tradition of 'believing in elves  but they know it's not real although they did stop building a motorway because it went through an area which would upset the elves so how far into the game are they really?' was weird. 

huh huh huh... its only the surface.^^ 

but elves are really awsome.. go elves!!

On 2016-11-06 at 1:09 AM, Natkat said:

Also I tried to spread some awareness in Sweden and I found the lgbt comunity pretty hard to reach for such topic, same goes for finding people just going to AVEN there hardly are any topics for swedes compared to danish (sure this is for asexuals but what influences aces also influences aros). 

this may not be the same for the whole population but I diffently feel the atitute within the lgbt groups are different in sweden and Denmark also when it comes to being aro.

I do however thing there are certain things in Scandinavian cultures that may make it more easy being aro because things such as valentines day or prom really arnt part of the culture but just importated traditions like halloween. and there are words for a person you live with unspecified who that is. and for sure most people DONT NEED a partner in the sense that they can support themself economically regardless of gender. A partner may even be a bad thing if you economy isnt good because the requirement for getting wellfair is that your partner cant support you (at least thats how it is in Denmark dont know about the other countries)

That's interesting. I think it would depend a lot on the place in Sweden too. Most people I know live in Stockholm.

Also it could be an age thing. Right now I'm 26 and have never gotten any surprise by anyone for being single or not interested in dating. But maybe once I'm 40 or so people will act differently about it. It will be interesting to see. One thing I could definitely see people I know react to is if I choose to never have children. I really like children but I'm not sure I want the responsibility and commitment of having a child. In Sweden people put a LOT of time of their life into taking care of their children (as do most countries I guess but in Sweden it does sometimes feel like it's even more).

As to the LGB community I wouldn't know. I actually don't really feel that much of an interest about getting involved in it. I don't feel like my situation has that much in common with someone who's romantic but just with the same gender. I might make a separate thread about that now when I think about it.

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2016 at 3:14 AM, aussiekirkland said:

I'm moving to Sweden :aropride:?? Haha anyway in my experience Australia seems pretty romance centric and in general a bit backwards compared a lot of first world countries. Anything to do with LGBT issues or sexism is pretty messed up here.

I think I can say that Australia is indeed very romance centric.

Archived