Aro Pet Peeves

TrueEvergreen

Just wanted to know some pet peeves that people have relating to being aro.

My main one is just the pure amount of people who ask if i'm dating someone, and I have to explain that i'm aro and what that means, it just happens way too often

• Like 1

I get really annoyed whenever people at my school talk about who's dating who. I also get especially annoyed whenever they start shipping real people. Shipping fictional characters is fine, but it just gets iffy when people start shipping real people.

• Like 3

getting self-righteous displays of behavior from alloromantics :'] since I don't feel romantic attraction for real life people at all, some alloro will say something like "loving real life people is really hard" or "you're lucky you won't get to experience heartbreak" as if I don't know any better. the microaggressions piss me off lol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Serafu said:

getting self-righteous displays of behavior from alloromantics :'] since I don't feel romantic attraction for real life people at all, some alloro will say something like "loving real life people is really hard" or "you're lucky you won't get to experience heartbreak" as if I don't know any better. the microaggressions piss me off lol

omg in the same vein as like being “lucky” to not experience heartbreak people just assuming that people don’t get heartbroken by friendships ending, or just the overall nonchalance towards any relationship that isn’t romantic that they have 

also the fact that alloros will straight up basically abandon friendships once they get into a romantic relationship, just tired of feeling ignored until the eventual breakup where they come crawling back and it feels shitty

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Caspian said:

I also get especially annoyed whenever they start shipping real people. Shipping fictional characters is fine, but it just gets iffy when people start shipping real people.

THIS!!! Shipping real people is so weird for me. I just I don't get it.

I also hate when people automatically assume that platonic relationships aren't as important as romantic ones. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Caspian said:

I get really annoyed whenever people at my school talk about who's dating who. I also get especially annoyed whenever they start shipping real people. Shipping fictional characters is fine, but it just gets iffy when people start shipping real people.

Oh, yeah, this makes my skin crawl!

The fact that all adult milestones are centered around amaronormative standards

The fact that so much fandom is all shipping (probably part of why I've stayed in the TMNT fandom so long)

When people offer you condolences for being single

People equating being single with being alone

The idea that a miserable, abusive relationship is actually better than being single 

Teasing friends about how they HAVE to be dating because of how close they are

How common it is for married people to not even like each other but it's expected that they get married and have kids and put their kids through that 

Joking that literal babies and toddlers are or will date later 

Being told I'm actually a "negative gay" (counting wise) and "don't really count as queer"

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 10:35 AM, hemogoblin said:

The fact that so much fandom is all shipping (probably part of why I've stayed in the TMNT fandom so long)

I gotta say this is part of why I love the Good Omens fandom. So much more of the works show aspec and arospec characters and QPRs than I've found in many other fandoms (there's still shipping, but not quite as much)

I agree with everything else here, too. One of my pet peeves is when people get it confused with asexual-- it's literally in the name!

• Like 2

People assuming I'm also ace, or that I have no interest in romance whatsoever. I've always been obsessed with fictional romance and am currently in a romantic relationship so that couldn't be further from the truth. Just all the assumptions in general.

I also have seen people saying aro = unhealthy relationships and it's super annoying. Like yes I've had unhealthy relationships both romantic and otherwise but it's not because I'm aro. I live in bad education land so I had to learn about relationship stuff like setting boundaries the hard way. Also I'm autistic so that makes it even harder. It has nothing to do with me being aro.

When characters in fiction have a relationship (Especially if it's right at the end of the story when nothing matters anymore anyways) when the story would have worked and been totally fine if they stayed friends. Like c'mooon guys, not every male and female character that aren't strangers to each other need a romance plot! (Also goes for any other genders, but y'know, hetero relationships are most common in media) They feel so unnecessary sometimes. Give us more people being close friends, man-

• Like 3

When people take someone from a show who shows no romantic interest (which is rare enough as it is) and ship said character with everyone and everything.

When people say that being aro is just an "excuse to not be called single/ a virgin"

When movies have a story about someone who says they're not interested in a relationship and then they get a "happy ending" by finding their true love or whatever, as if they needed fixing.

Finally, when people say "that's not real/ so many labels nowadays.. You'll find the one someday just you wait.."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When my allo friends keep talking about their love life and/or are being super intimate with their partner right in front of me

People associating not being in a romantic relationship as a sign of “immaturity”

Romance-focused episodes in usually action/comedy-focused shows (I’m here for the laughs, not the kisses!)