Would it be okay to lean into the robot stereotype? Does anyone else do this?

I know the whole “aro people are robotic” thing. I know that many people feel it degrades us, and that it is insulting to make. But what if I actually connect to it? I am very visibly autistic and many of my repetitive behaviors can be seen as programmed. I don’t show or read emotions easily. I’m somewhat low empathy in the sense that I don’t really feel others emotions, I don’t know. I have a “battery” in the sense of burnout or just running out of energy for the day, especially interactions. As for the non-autistic side of things, I consider myself a loveless aro and a heartless aro. I deeply relate to the concept of rejecting love and romance, even nonromantic love. I may be apl-spec, although I would have to look more into it. I’m an animist who gives objects personalities and “voices”, so I can definitely relate to robots on that level. Also, robots are just really cool. I want to embrace the classification, to go all out with gears and wires. But I’m wondering if it would be offensive to other aros. I’m obviously not advocating for all of us to be called robots. But is that what it sounds like? I don’t want to insult anyone, but I also don’t want to censor myself and my connection to robots.

I don't think it's that bad. Or at least I'm not offended or anything. Robots are awesome. And that thing about robots taking over the world and aces invading Denmark? Idk lol what a coincidence.

• Like 1

That's OK. It won't be the first time that an aro reclaimed a hurtful stereotype as you said. If aros reclaimed heartless and loveless, why can't they also ID with the robot stereotype?

• Like 2

If you connect with robots, then by all means make that a part of your identity. As long as you make it clear to anyone that asks that a lot of aro people do not identify with robots, I see nothing wrong with it

5 hours ago, DragonWithAQuest said:

This is amazing. Thank you.

Voidpunk reminds me of the void type in the C programming language, so it has quite a robotic flair to me. I don't know if that association was intended.

Edited by DeltaAro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AstrophelDragon said:

If you connect with robots, then by all means make that a part of your identity. As long as you make it clear to anyone that asks that a lot of aro people do not identify with robots, I see nothing wrong with it

Insert mandatory joke about an aro person who identifies as a robot engineer, which is okay, different than an aro person identifying as a robot. Of course there are ways to logically connect these even further, for sure. 

• Like 1

I've also felt like I related to robots more than humans! Like and outsider looking in type of deal. I've had to learn what being a human is. That's why I love stories about robots learning about humanity and/or falling in love (non-romantically lol) with the world and the people in it. I think it's great you're reclaiming that concept for yourself!

P.S I just remembered I posted about a story here last year that you might like! Here's the post, I'll just copy paste it cause I don't want to write all of that again lol:

There's this short story by aroace & autistic writer Merc Fenn Wolfmoor that I absolutely love and, as someone with a complicated relationship to their own humanity, relate to very much. The main character, Tesla is ace and also heavily implied to be aro! 

It's called How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps and you can read it here: https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/how-to-become-a-robot-in-12-easy-steps/ 

But!! Massive TW for discussion and depictions of depression and thoughts of self-harm and suicide.  It left me pretty shaken and emotionally drained at some points, so, if you do read it, remember to practice self care!

Edited by Whirl
Added some stuff
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Sabrina F said:

I’d love to be a robot, though unfortunately I’m not

Would you like to be a robotic arm mindlessly assembling car parts over and over and over again not even knowing anything else besides that, no way I would do that lol.

Edited by SwiftySpeedy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrina F said:

Tbh being a robot sounds cool, having so many capabilities, strengths, and a large range of skills just sounds sick.

31 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

Would you like to be a robotic arm mindlessly assembling car parts over and over and over again not even knowing anything else besides that, no way I would do that lol.

I’d prefer the human, sentient ai with control of the entire internet and therefore complete control of all the information on earth. Sorry, power sounds REALLY FUN combined with all the knowledge on the internet. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sabrina F said:

Time for the necessary plug of the song by Kraftwerk- We Are the Robots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8Pma1vHmw

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HelloThere said:

Tbh being a robot sounds cool, having so many capabilities, strengths, and a large range of skills just sounds sick.

I’d prefer the human, sentient ai with control of the entire internet and therefore complete control of all the information on earth. Sorry, power sounds REALLY FUN combined with all the knowledge on the internet. 

Why be a robot when you could be a dragon tho 🤪

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harvest-Unity said:

Does anyone have a favourite robot character? I love Data from Star Trek

Ooh. I like ASTRO from Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy. And Wall-E is also very cool.