I guess i must be Aromantic..

KF81

Hello everyone, hope all is well. I am new here and my name is Kevin.. 

I am a 35 year old male and was starting to question why i am not like everyone else... I was starting to think, what is wrong with me and that i was the only one... I am honestly happy being single, i have a nice, uncomplicated life. I have lived on my own since i was 17 and i have always enjoyed it. I don't feel like i need someone romantically in my life. But i was starting to think i should be out dating and that i should have a partner as it seems to be the norm... I went on a date today and i was so relieved when it was over.. I thought it was what i wanted but it is not, i just don't feel any need to be with someone. Thank god for the internet !

I decided to do a google search for, "is it okay to be single forever" and then after a few clicks found the word, Aromantic.

I did not realise that there are other people like me who feel no desire to get into a relationship with another human. A romantic relationship that is..

I feel like, i just don't need to be with someone, i have no desire for a romantic relationship.   I think that they are pointless.  Why would i want another person to get in the way of me doing whatever i wanted to do ! 

Climb aboard because this site was made for you and me and everyone else here! But seriously it's great to have another person join us and be shown the light so brace yourself for the most relatable content you'll have seen for a while because everywhere else it's 'romance romance you must fall in love' but here it's 'we don't want it and no one can change that!'

:icecream:Enjoy yourself and eat ice cream:icecream:

Welcome :icecream:

I found out pretty much the same way as you. Suddenly realizing that i'm 29 and never been in love, started googling to find out "what's wrong with me", then after some searches finding out about being aromantic and suddenly so many puzzle pieces fell into place. Nice to know we are not weird, right? B|

Moved to Welcome subforum. (If you want to have a more detailed discussion about anything in particular you mentioned, feel free to make another thread in Aromantic Discussions!)

Welcome to Arocalypse :icecream::softserve: 

Happy that you managed to finally find a label for yourself :)

Welcome! :icecream: I feel like I would tire of a romantic relationship extremely quickly..! I have no desire to try. I'm also happy to be single forever! In fact I really want that. I might get a turtle. Or a couple of cats.

Welcome :)

I've never understood why people 'date' random strangers in the hopes of finding someone to 'be with'... the best way to get to know someone is friendship, not 'dating'! ... and that was before I discovered all this info about being aromantic, which basically explains my whole life.

On 24/07/2016 at 1:22 AM, KF81 said:

I am a 35 year old male and was starting to question why i am not like everyone else... I was starting to think, what is wrong with me and that i was the only one... I am honestly happy being single, i have a nice, uncomplicated life. I have lived on my own since i was 17 and i have always enjoyed it. I don't feel like i need someone romantically in my life. But i was starting to think i should be out dating and that i should have a partner as it seems to be the norm... I went on a date today and i was so relieved when it was over.. I thought it was what i wanted but it is not, i just don't feel any need to be with someone. Thank god for the internet !

I'm in what seems to be a slightly odder situation. In that I've always lived on my own and never wanted to have "a partner".
On the other hand I do want do want human companionship, including touch, affection and sex. But in ways which are very different from the socially acceptable concept of having the same partner for everything. (The lack of a "bundling requirement" can be a hard concept to get over.)
I find it very difficult living in a society with a kind of "one size fits all" meme for interpersonal relationships. When that definitely dosn't fit me and I've often wished it could. Since it can seem that the only possible way to have a kissing or cuddling partner is if they are also a romantic partner.

On 24/07/2016 at 9:59 PM, SoulWolf said:

Welcome :)

I've never understood why people 'date' random strangers in the hopes of finding someone to 'be with'... the best way to get to know someone is friendship, not 'dating'! ... and that was before I discovered all this info about being aromantic, which basically explains my whole life.

One thing is that many people seem to equate "friendship" with "platonic friendship".
With anything sexual, sensual, even physically affectionate seeming to be restricted to "dates".
I'm almost looking for something like "dating" but minus romance...

Archived