VERY IMPORTANT: Nation wide don't say gay bill proposed

Jeeperz_

A bill nearly identical to the Florida don't say gay bill has been proposed for a national level. It is unlikely to pass, but not completely improbable. This is something to be on the look out for in the coming months. The bill is being funded by over 30 members of the us republican party.

Screenshot 2022-10-21 9.44.39 PM.png

• Sad 2
  • Angry 3

It's infuriating and depressing that this is where we are today. 

Thankfully, like you said, it's unlikely to pass. Here's a clip from https://www.wabe.org/whats-in-the-so-called-dont-say-gay-bill-that-could-impact-the-whole-country/

"The bill’s prospects are nil while Democrats control the White House and Senate

The bill would not pass in the current Congress, given that such legislation is solely a Republican effort and Democrats have a functional majority in each chamber. Depending on the November election results, the makeup of the House and Senate could shift. Still, it’s not clear how many Republicans would support the bill, even if it is popular among a certain strain of the party. Even if the proposed legislation were to pass in a Republican-controlled House and Senate, it would be vetoed by President Biden. So don’t expect this bill to go anywhere, for at least a while." 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, A User said:

the more and more i read about this country, the less and less i am inclined to move there

I want to leave more and more every day. I’m genuinely worried for my safety and the safety of the people I care about. And I have a decent amount of privilege here too. My parents are debating if they want to wait for me to finish college before trying to leave.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Neon said:

I want to leave more and more every day. I’m genuinely worried for my safety and the safety of the people I care about. And I have a decent amount of privilege here too. My parents are debating if they want to wait for me to finish college before trying to leave.

i personally live in canada but sometimes i worry that as soon as i cross the border i have no rights so yeah

i totally understand what u mean tho

I'm never sure what they think things like this are going to accomplish. I went to grade school in Missouri (say no more am I right!) where there was no sex education until late middle school. But guess what? We all found out anyway. We knew what "the wild thing" was and told dirty jokes on the playground. And this was when the idea of a publicly accessible world-spanning computer communications network was a dream of some MIT undergrad. Even if this thing passes how on earth do they think they are going to shelter the tech savvy kids of today with all the world's knowledge literally at their fingertips from any kind of sexual issues? Especially when it'll come to their attention from hearing all the stink everyone is kicking up about it. Ever hear of the Streisand Effect folks? It's almost as if the politicians who come up with this stuff either don't think these things through or don't really care beyond using it to muster their voting base to the polls. Interesting this comes up just in time for the Mid-Terms eh?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A User said:

i personally live in canada but sometimes i worry that as soon as i cross the border i have no rights so yeah

i totally understand what u mean tho

There's good stuff about the US, but it sucks if you're LGBTQ or don't have lots of money.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Acearospec said:

It's infuriating and depressing that this is where we are today. 

Thankfully, like you said, it's unlikely to pass. Here's a clip from https://www.wabe.org/whats-in-the-so-called-dont-say-gay-bill-that-could-impact-the-whole-country/

"The bill’s prospects are nil while Democrats control the White House and Senate

The bill would not pass in the current Congress, given that such legislation is solely a Republican effort and Democrats have a functional majority in each chamber. Depending on the November election results, the makeup of the House and Senate could shift. Still, it’s not clear how many Republicans would support the bill, even if it is popular among a certain strain of the party. Even if the proposed legislation were to pass in a Republican-controlled House and Senate, it would be vetoed by President Biden. So don’t expect this bill to go anywhere, for at least a while." 

I don't think the intention is simply to get this bill passed, though that might happen. Because there's way too much dangerous 3D chess going on.

Still, if it only stokes up enough fear, conspiratorial thinking and intolerance and fractures alliances, this proposal has done its job.

PS: if European politics is crazy, the US version is positively insane. So I generally avoid commenting about it, because even stating bare facts enrages people.

I remember when people talk about the American dream and think about it as an Eldorado. But it slowly become American nightmare and I'm concerned by it. I surely would not like to be a minority in this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nonmerci said:

I remember when people talk about the American dream and think about it as an Eldorado.

So... who? Didn't this turn into an ironic term 100 years ago?

Edited by DeltaAro

10 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

So... who? Didn't this turn into an ironic term 100 years ago?

They call it the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe in it. - George Carlin 

Gay gay gay gay gay gay!! You can’t stop us bigots!

• Like 2

This is awful, I don’t stand anywhere politically. But this is completely unfair. I live in Maryland. (Washington co. To be exact and it’s heavily republican.) I live right near Virginia and I believe Virginia is very republican (and pro-gun, learned that yesterday. As like the kids sports game I was at was raffling off a literal shotgun.) anywho. I think this is completely unjust.

On 10/23/2022 at 5:22 AM, The Gray Warlock said:

I'm never sure what they think things like this are going to accomplish. I went to grade school in Missouri (say no more am I right!) where there was no sex education until late middle school. But guess what? We all found out anyway. We knew what "the wild thing" was and told dirty jokes on the playground. And this was when the idea of a publicly accessible world-spanning computer communications network was a dream of some MIT undergrad. Even if this thing passes how on earth do they think they are going to shelter the tech savvy kids of today with all the world's knowledge literally at their fingertips from any kind of sexual issues? Especially when it'll come to their attention from hearing all the stink everyone is kicking up about it. Ever hear of the Streisand Effect folks? It's almost as if the politicians who come up with this stuff either don't think these things through or don't really care beyond using it to muster their voting base to the polls. Interesting this comes up just in time for the Mid-Terms eh?

IMHO it's not really about attempting to hide the existence of gay people (kind of futile). But that students don't get taught anything LGBTQ-affirmative like empathy, understanding and respect.

• Like 4

On 10/23/2022 at 4:21 AM, DeltaAro said:

I don't think the intention is simply to get this bill passed, though that might happen. Because there's way too much dangerous 3D chess going on.

Still, if it only stokes up enough fear, conspiratorial thinking and intolerance and fractures alliances, this proposal has done its job.

I think it's like the other, local, bills. It does a few things. First, it's really big and makes smaller bills seem more reasonable (and since so many democrats in this country are obsessed with appearing bipartisan, they will be more likely to compromise on the smaller stuff). Next, it makes the concept of anti-queer laws more mainstream, so people are more conditioned to it and don't see future attempts to be as outrageous as they are. Finally, it popularizes bigotry and misconceptions and paints them as genuine things to consider, rather than the vitriolic lies they actually are.

I doubt any but the most extreme politicians have any delusions that this will pass. The annoying thing is that generating discussion and outrage is the point, but not talking about it does more damage. It's a lose-lose situation.

• Like 5

On 10/25/2022 at 12:16 AM, Neon said:

I doubt any but the most extreme politicians have any delusions that this will pass. The annoying thing is that generating discussion and outrage is the point, but not talking about it does more damage. It's a lose-lose situation.

After all the fringe stuff that has happened in recent times, of which pundits told us that it is absolutely inconceivable (like the repeal of Roe v. Wade), but still happened regardless... I'm sorry!

It's 2022 and if I learned one thing, it's that the range of possibilities has been opened up to a frightening degree.

I do not exclude anything from my considerations anymore. Except perhaps if it involves reptiloids. 😉

I'm not an expert of US politics, but in the midterm elections Republicans will likely take the house and maybe the senate. And you have this gerontocratic president, who might confuse the whole veto thing, so... yeah I would still consider the possibility that even this bill may pass.

I guess reptiloids are still a bit too implausible for me... ok, let's say I'm on the fence on this one.