neuroivergent aros?

MaxIsCosmic

When I was 9 I was analyzed for a year and told I have pervasive developmental disorder. Apparently it's a category for people who show autistic symptoms, but not enough to be on the spectrum. I spent four years in a branch of special ed called behavior disorders because I wasn't socializing properly, whatever they meant by that. I was tested at 18 and they didn't find any abnormality. So I don't know. I have considered that I might have c-ptsd.

• Like 4

I am newly diagnosed so I haven't met to many people like me I didn't realize how many other neurodivergent people there were! I'm honestly super happy there are other people like me out there :D

• Like 2

most of my friends are autistic, and a few of them keep insisting that I might be, but I'm not sure. I've checked the diagnostic criteria, but I don't think I fit it. Still kind of feel like something might be wrong though, although that might not be a brain disorder and might be just me.

23 hours ago, Fanz_0__Fire said:

Jury's still out on that one. I have an asd testing session literally this thursday, wish me luck

Good luck on your test I always found them a little nerve wracking for some reason. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 4:04 PM, Fanz_0__Fire said:

Jury's still out on that one. I have an asd testing session literally this thursday, wish me luck

Hope it went well

On 10/18/2022 at 2:46 AM, Harvest said:

most of my friends are autistic, and a few of them keep insisting that I might be, but I'm not sure. I've checked the diagnostic criteria, but I don't think I fit it. Still kind of feel like something might be wrong though, although that might not be a brain disorder and might be just me.

What diagnostic criteria did you check? If you haven't already seen these, they might be helpful resources. I learned recently that autism often presents differently (& very differently than what I understood it to mean growing up):

https://exceptionalindividuals.com/candidates/neurodiversity-resources/neurodiversity-quizzes/

https://embrace-autism.com/autism-tests/

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, Harvest said:

More than criteria, look for experiences, or ask your friends why they think so.

I've read criteria for adhd many times, but didn't think it fit me (a lot of them applied to one type of adhd (hyperactive) but not the one I have (inattentive); also for me criteria looked like epty words and it was hard for me to see what they really mean). However when I read things about how people with adhd relate to time, how they focus, etc, a lot of things applied to me. And retrospectively I see that a lot of criteria do apply to me, just not in the stereotypic way.

Annyway I have adhd and I think about getting a diagnosis for bipolar disorder.

Edited by nonmerci
  • Like 2

Going through a referral for autism. They (school, family, NHS(?) people on the phone) reckon I'm on the spectrum but it takes foreverrrrrr to get a definitive answer / diagnosis (or so I've heard and experienced). Until then I feel kinda guilty saying anything for sure.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...