What are some English words that are funny in other languages?

Holmbo

What are some English words that have different meanings in other languages which you find funny? 

In Swedish children like this sentence in English "I buy pink sheet" because in Swedish "Aj baj pink skit" it means "Ouch poop pee shit"

Also, kiss means pee. 

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

In English it would be potato, in spanish one translation papa. Now when you papa, you need to know where to put the force in the word because it can either mean a potato or father which I find funny cuz you are calling a potato your father and vice versa

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, eeza17 said:

It's always funny to hear an Israeli yelling at their child in the grocery store "DIE!

People who watched that The Simpsons episode with sideshow Bob in court know this one:
In German, "die" is an article for feminine nouns. So Bob said "Die Bart, die. That's German" as to explain he wasn't meant to threaten Bart but was "just" using German :D (which is wrong in the grammatical sense, btw. Bart is a boy so you'd use "der" in German, the article for male nouns - if anyone wanted to know).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXigSu72A4
I also find the nine nine nine meme funny. When you say "nine" in Germany, people would understand "nein", which translates to "no" in English.

18 hours ago, Blake said:

In English it would be potato, in spanish one translation papa. Now when you papa, you need to know where to put the force in the word because it can either mean a potato or father which I find funny cuz you are calling a potato your father and vice versa

I once took a few Spanish lessons and noticed this, too. Found it quite funny while learning.

Edited by NotHeartless
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 5:55 AM, NotHeartless said:

People who watched that The Simpsons episode with sideshow Bob in court know this one:
In German, "die" is an article for feminine nouns. So Bob said "Die Bart, die. That's German" as to explain he wasn't meant to threaten Bart but was "just" using German :D (which is wrong in the grammatical sense, btw. Bart is a boy so you'd use "der" in German, the article for male nouns - if anyone wanted to know).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXigSu72A4
I also find the nine nine nine meme funny. When you say "nine" in Germany, people would understand "nein", which translates to "no" in English.

As someone who does not speak German, but have a few friends who speak German/Yiddish, I am impressed that I was aware of this conceptually : ))

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:06 PM, Karst said:

"Pet" is French for "fart".

Because of that, for years, in the song River Deep Montain High, with the line " I love you baby like a school boy loves his pet", all I heard was " I love you baby like a school boy loves his fart". And I thought it was a very comparison, but that it works. Now, I remembered what pet is. The comparison makes a bit more sense but I still find it weird lol.

Also, I just learn the word trainee in English, because a supermarket use it in his recruitment add and it creates some disagreement. Because, you see... In French, trainée = whore.

• Haha 4

There is a lot of fun to be had by hearing Dutch people misuse/misunderstand English words like that.

A famous comedy skit goes like this:

Dutch person talking to an English horse breeder: ‘So, I understand you fok (Dutch word for breeding, pronounced almost like ‘fuck’) horses?’

English breeder: ‘I beg your pardon?!’

Dutch person: ‘Yes, paarden!’ (‘Paarden’ means horses, it is pronounced almost like ‘pardon’)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We also have jokes like that.

Man 1: What a handsome face

Man 2: nej det var grisen (no it was the pig)

The explanation is that the first line sounds like saying "was it you that farted" with a heavy accent

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, roboticanary said:

Der-Spiegel.jpg.4e4a225bac1a1d29836fbbecc3e2dd95.jpg

well this has resurfaced recently

This is very, very nasty! Like kicking someone when they are already on the ground. Or a fatality from Mortal Kombat: DIE ... QUEEN!

BTW, I bear no ill will against the Queen, but the coverage even outside of the UK is 24 / 7. And she and the Royal Family still dominate the headlines (from respectable newspapers, not yellow press)...

Because yeah, that's the biggest challenge of our times: to come to grips with her death. 😕 Something that is actually of NO consequence for the greater scheme of things.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

This is very, very nasty! Like kicking someone when they are already on the ground. Or a fatality from Mortal Kombat: DIE ... QUEEN!

i think this was from around 2016 and just resurfaced recently. so either prophetic or silly, i dunno.

and yeah, thats a lot of coverage, I understand people care about this and thats fine, but like, it is quite amazing how much it has dominated in countries with not as much connection to the uk.

• Like 3