Autochorisromantic Discussion

Skylord

I was doing some research earlier, as I'm still rather confused about myself, and I came across autochorisromantic/aegoromatic, but I can't seem to find very much information about it. I made this so we can all discus this and maybe get some answers. 

The LGBTA Wiki description: "(Autochorisromantic) describes those who enjoy the concept of romance but have a disconnect between themself and the subject of romantic fantasies." - https://lgbta.wikia.org/wiki/Autochorisromantic

Are there any Autochorisromantics or other people who know more about this? 

Edited by Skylord
  • Like 2

Ah, that's exactly how I feel!

Fiction exists to explore scenarios that we don't necessarily want to exist in real life or happen to us. I enjoy romance very much; if it's well-written, I can understand the characters' feelings and desires, maybe experience some of them myself, but I have never wanted to date nor felt that towards anyone I know. One explanation I liked was that you can enjoy watching two actors fall in love on stage, but would never want for one of them to love a member of the audience. Or that romance is similar to extreme sports: you watch it to experience the best parts of it from a comfortable distance, but don't want to join the sportsmen yourself.

• Like 2

I was actually thinking about this recently, and I'd say it describes me well. I don't personally feel romantic attraction, but I love the idea of a (well-written, mind you) romantic component in an already intriguing plot line.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:24 PM, senACEay_11 said:

I don't personally feel romantic attraction, but I love the idea of a (well-written, mind you) romantic component in an already intriguing plot line.

Same. As long as their well written and not rushed, I enjoy them.

• Like 2

Shipping is a part of my hobby which is writting fanfictions. Fun fact is when I say to a person who read my story I’m aro they’re surprised. Well, I’m probably so using the things I’ve noticed in stories of others because I simply don’t understand these things but I like to see how relations between characters are evolving and these things.

But I don’t know if I can call myself ’aegoromantic’. A part of me says I’m aego and other says I’m not. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 2:31 AM, Kallie said:

Fiction exists to explore scenarios that we don't necessarily want to exist in real life or happen to us. 

A perfect explanation! Fiction is amazing in that way, because I love romance between characters (well written and developed, mind you) but I don't really see myself ever in a relationship. Though this could be because of my trust issues, I'm still figuring everything out. 

12 hours ago, Rony said:

But I don’t know if I can call myself ’aegoromantic’. A part of me says I’m aego and other says I’m not. 

Exactly how I feel. 

• Like 1

Oh hey, I saw a pin about that on Pinterest, it’s actually the thing that got me wondering if I’m aro haha. I really enjoy the character development and dynamics of slow burn relationships in fiction! Actually, even in real life the drama that comes from my dating friends is like a soap opera; it’s pretty entertaining. 
I probably wouldn’t call myself aegoromantic though, since I can’t be bothered explaining what it is every time someone asks heh.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I'm autochorisromantic or not, but it's definitely adjacent to how I experience romance. I don't feel romantic attraction, but I do find romance fun to fantasize about or read about sometimes.

• Like 1

that's interesting, i didn't know about this term! i'm still kinda confused though, please correct me if i'm wrong, but instead of 'aegoromantic', couldn't it be used 'romance-positive aromantic'?

1 minute ago, babo_ said:

that's interesting, i didn't know about this term! i'm still kinda confused though, please correct me if i'm wrong, but instead of 'aegoromantic', couldn't it be used 'romance-positive aromantic'?

They’re different things. ’Aego’ means ’without me’ or something like that. Aegoromantic isn’t interested in being in romantic relations and romance-positive aro can be interested in them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rony said:

Aegoromantic isn’t interested in being in romantic relations and romance-positive aro can be interested in them.

i see... thank you for clarifying! i think it describes me pretty well, i'll research more about it

3 minutes ago, Rony said:

For me microlabels are very confusing so I prefer to call myself just aroace, kkk.

yeah, i feel the same! i want to look for more about it so i can understand my feelings better, but if someone asked me my orientation i would just call myself aroace, it's more practical

3 minutes ago, babo_ said:

yeah, i feel the same! i want to look for more about it so i can understand my feelings better, but if someone asked me my orientation i would just call myself aroace, it's more practical

In my opinion, all the labels exist to pick the one to feel comfortable with and not to be ’practical’. But each person has their own point of view and I’m not going to argue, it’s obvious.

1 hour ago, Rony said:

all the labels exist to pick the one to feel comfortable with and not to be ’practical’

yes, i meant 'practical' as less stressful for me, since i wouldn't like to explain what aegoromantic means everytime someone asks my orientation, i'm not so patient :/ but of course, that's just my way. each person do what they feel more comfortable doing

Edited by babo_

5 minutes ago, babo_ said:

yes, i meant 'practical' as less stressful for me, since i wouldn't like to explain what aegoromantic means everytime someone asks my orientation, i'm not so patient :/ but of course, that's just my way. each person does what they feel more comfortable doing

I understand you! Well, when I said I’m neutrois I heard ’oh, another Tumblr gender’ (this term is older than Tumblr). In my opinion looks like it’s more difficult to explain microlabels in general because there are still people who even doesn’t try to understand. Well, if you want to, we can move to private messages.

• Sad 1