Aro memes

nonmerci

On 10/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, Storm_leopardcat said:

Huh, interesting. Which else languages do not have gendered words?

Only one I can name right of the bat is Japanese.

Dutch is interesting because it has gendered words, but only two genders. Well, usually. But this is a very complex issue!

According to this most languages from Europe have a grammatical gender with only few exceptions like English, Finnish and Turkish.

In Asia it's much more common.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, Storm_leopardcat said:

OTOH?

On the other hand? 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

Only one I can name right of the bat is Japanese.

Dutch is interesting because it has gendered words, but only two genders. Well, usually. But this is a very complex issue!

According to this most languages from Europe have a grammatical gender with only few exceptions like English, Finnish and Turkish.

In Asia it's much more common.

On the other hand? 🙂

Well, that bit about languages is interesting, and has me intrigued! Cool!

Ah, I didn't know that OTOH existed, never thought of an acronym for On The Other Hand!

There are a lot of languages with non binary pronouns, like English, Spanish, German.... But it's only used with objects and there are also the two classic binary genders -_-

However French is even worse at that because we don't have any non binary pronouns and we have to gender every adjective we use.

3 hours ago, Atypique said:

However French is even worse at that because we don't have any non binary pronouns and we have to gender every adjective we use.

There is "iel" but no one uses it cause it is seen as a feminist thing.

There are a couple of others neopronouns (like ol or ael) but nothing recognizes on a national level and people are unaware of it, and adjectives are just hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atypique said:

Yeaaaah everyone knows about iel but no one uses it. The problem is that it was used by feminists for inclusive writing mostly, and it's not adapted to a common oral utilisation 

I think iel could work in oral but certainly not all the rest of inclusive writing. The adjectives on the other hand... I read a bool where one of the main character is non binary and intersex; they doesn't use iel, but ael, and it is easy to read or to speak about it. However, the author purposely only use epicene adjectives so she didn't have to bother with agreements, cause it is hell to read and to say out loud. French really is a difficult manguage when it comes to gender...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 9:10 PM, nonmerci said:

(I still don't get why people think we are more romantic than other countries)

Your comment made me think about this song? Although it's joking more about the idea that everything French is sexy.

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, mewix said:

Kinda related

IMG_20210526_100044_056.jpg.ccc671d09852e2b4b1add21782bef481.jpg

That's both beautiful and wise, for many situations including aromanticism but also for much more things, am saving this image.