Aro memes

nonmerci

On 5/16/2022 at 2:28 AM, pulchritudinous_toast said:

images (2).jpg

I would order more guacamole, because this is an official aro food and we can't have enough of it.

But otherwise the second scenario sounds perfect. :aropride:

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Alright, which series is that first meme from? The template?

Merlin (from BBC). If you enter the fandom you'll see that a lot of people ship Merlin with Arthur, but as far  I as am concerned, they are in a QPR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Neon said:

I have a massive aro flag up in my room, my dad was here for an hour, and I don't think he even noticed. Probably for the best.

meme.jpg

meme2.jpg

I feel those ones.

6yoluo.jpg

(I still don't get why people think we are more romantic than other countries)

Edited by nonmerci
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, nonmerci said:

I can understand that to some degree. But the association that everything stereotypically French must be romantic, is rather ridiculous.

E. g. how did we get from this:

We, writers, painters, sculptors, architects and passionate devotees of the hitherto untouched beauty of Paris, protest with all our strength, with all our indignation in the name of slighted French taste, against the erection … of this useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower … To bring our arguments home, imagine for a moment a giddy, ridiculous tower dominating Paris like a gigantic black smokestack, crushing under its barbaric bulk Notre Dame, the Tour Saint-Jacques, the Louvre, the Dome of les Invalides, the Arc de Triomphe, all of our humiliated monuments will disappear in this ghastly dream.

(from Artists against the Eiffel Tower)

to this:

https://previews.123rf.com/images/ryanking999/ryanking9991504/ryanking999150400207/38923431-silhouette-of-romantic-lovers-hand-hold-love-heart-paper-with-eiffel-tower-in-paris-with-sunset.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeltaAro said:

We, writers, painters, sculptors, architects and passionate devotees of the hitherto untouched beauty of Paris, protest with all our strength, with all our indignation in the name of slighted French taste, against the erection … of this useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower … To bring our arguments home, imagine for a moment a giddy, ridiculous tower dominating Paris like a gigantic black smokestack, crushing under its barbaric bulk Notre Dame, the Tour Saint-Jacques, the Louvre, the Dome of les Invalides, the Arc de Triomphe, all of our humiliated monuments will disappear in this ghastly dream.

(from Artists against the Eiffel Tower)

to this:

Well that's a good question.

You know I respect the Eiffel Tower. She was criticized everyday, people did not want her, and not only she made it but she is now a beloved symbol of Paris.

Though when you think about it, it is a weird symbol of love because, for real, what is romantic in a giant iron scaffolding ? I'm not criticizing it, but that's weird.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nonmerci said:

You know I respect the Eiffel Tower. She was criticized everyday, people did not want her, and not only she made it but she is now a beloved symbol of Paris.

I don't share the sentiment of the artists' petition.

To me the Eiffel Tower is a symbol of power, technological progress and utopian aspirations.

I also like its "retro-futuristic" look. So the name of the restaurant in the tower "Le Jules Verne" is very fitting.

The association with romantic love OTOH is just bizarre to me.

PS: @nonmerci why is the Eiffel Tower a "she". It's not a ship! 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I know very little about history, much less European history, so take this with a grain of salt. If I had to bet, the reason is that France is associated with a lot of romantic-era art, especially music. The romantic era wasn't even about romantic love, it was about the romanticization of life in general and a response to the idea that feelings ought to be discarded. Most of the "romantic" songs to come from it aren't even about romance (I will always be salty about every article about Clair de Lune saying they have no idea what it was about, but it was probably the composer's love interest, as if the literal name isn't a big hint). Since France is so heavily associated with that, it makes sense that the art and culture is similarly misinterpreted (and then that misinterpretation is spread in order to promote tourism).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaAro said:

why is the Eiffel Tower a "she". It's not a ship!

In French, a nickname for the Eiffel Tower is "the iron lady", so... feminine.

Also in French a tower is "feminine" (grammatically speaking). Why ? Honestly I don't know, there is not really a logic in how our words are feminine or masculine. (Well, historically speaking there's a reason, most of the words that came from the first latine declension are feminine, from the second they are masculine... but then it means we have to find a logic in latin so... still a mystery).

I know English doesn't have gendered for object so they use it, but it sounded weird to my ears, i don't know why.

17 minutes ago, Neon said:

I know very little about history, much less European history, so take this with a grain of salt. If I had to bet, the reason is that France is associated with a lot of romantic-era art, especially music. The romantic era wasn't even about romantic love, it was about the romanticization of life in general and a response to the idea that feelings ought to be discarded. Most of the "romantic" songs to come from it aren't even about romance (I will always be salty about every article about Clair de Lune saying they have no idea what it was about, but it was probably the composer's love interest, as if the literal name isn't a big hint). Since France is so heavily associated with that, it makes sense that the art and culture is similarly misinterpreted (and then that misinterpretation is spread in order to promote tourism).

Oh yeah, that makes sense now that you say it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

I don't share the sentiment of the artists' petition.

To me the Eiffel Tower is a symbol of power, technological progress and utopian aspirations.

I also like its "retro-futuristic" look. So the name of the restaurant in the tower "Le Jules Verne" is very fitting.

The association with romantic love OTOH is just bizarre to me.

PS: @nonmerci why is the Eiffel Tower a "she". It's not a ship! 😉

OTOH?

12 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Also in French a tower is "feminine" (grammatically speaking). Why ? Honestly I don't know, there is not really a logic in how our words are feminine or masculine. (Well, historically speaking there's a reason, most of the words that came from the first latine declension are feminine, from the second they are masculine... but then it means we have to find a logic in latin so... still a mystery).

I know English doesn't have gendered for object so they use it, but it sounded weird to my ears, i don't know why.

Oh yeah, that makes sense now that you say it.

Huh, interesting. Which else languages do not have gendered words?

19 hours ago, nonmerci said:

On 10/28/2022 at 8:41 PM, DeltaAro said:

combining these, i'm imagining the grinning face of a giant maggie thatcher looming over paris.

• Like 3