What are the chances of meeting another AroAce person in real life in the wild?

Happy Pride folks!

So, what are the chances of meeting another AroAce person in real life? I know the approximate percentage of Ace population is 1 out of 100, and among those 1 out of 4 are aro. So theoretically there is 1 out of every 400 people. The chances are small, so is it really possible to meet an Aro Ace in real life? Have anyone met one in the wild before?

• Like 3

I have two friends who I think are technically aro, although they don't identify as such because they are romance favorable so kinda allo passing. I met both of them without knowing they were aro.

• Like 2

I have multiple aroace friends irl; it really probably just depends on how accepting your community is

To me it always seems like there has to be more than just 1% of people who are ace bc I know too many. But maybe it's just magnetism. And being in band. Our percussion section was like 24% ace.

Edited by AstrophelDragon
  • Like 2

Just now, AstrophelDragon said:

I have multiple aroace friends irl; it really probably just depends on how accepting your community is

So how do one get into the community? I know the queer kids in my school, but I don't exactly fit in with them tbh. I get a chance to meet a lot of new people next august, and I'm wondering how I could get into the more aroace community?

• Like 1

I’d say that the amount of aces and aros out there is probably a bit greater than 1%, I’d rank it as a more 1/30-40 chance than that. The best way to be sure tbh is probably to keep a lookout for black and white rings on middle fingers and random pride pins. I don’t have much else to add tbh. 🫤

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've met three a-spec people at my high school, one aro-spec, one aroace, and the other asexual, and it wasn't like I was even trying? They didn't have anything to signify them being a-spec, so I wouldn't know how to go about finding anyone whose a-spec other then looking for those signifiers (rings, pins, etc). But, yeah, I've met/bumped into quite a few people in our community so it's possible.

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I've met three a-spec people at my high school, one aro-spec, one aroace, and the other asexual, and it wasn't like I was even trying? They didn't have anything to signify them being a-spec, so I wouldn't know how to go about finding anyone whose a-spec other then looking for those signifiers (rings, pins, etc). But, yeah, I've met/bumped into quite a few people in our community so it's possible.

I’ve met one guy in my school who might be aro and I doubt he’d identify as such. I do wish that the GSA was an option right now but I doubt it’s a great idea for now.

• Like 3

I've met one aro person completely in the wild once! Like others have said, looking out for pins and other signifiers is a good way to find other aro and ace folks.

In my case, the person I met was wearing an aro pin! I just walked up to them and said like "Oh! Me too!" They even gifted me the pin, which I thought was so sweet of him. 

Being visible about your identity and being a source of information is also good for meeting other aroace people. For example, one of my uni friends is probably also on the aroace spectrum! I lent her my copy of loveless and she's been texting about her low-key identity crisis the past few days lol. She's still figuring herself out though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Whirl said:

I've met one aro person completely in the wild once! Like others have said, looking out for pins and other signifiers is a good way to find other aro and ace folks.

In my case, the person I met was wearing an aro pin! I just walked up to them and said like "Oh! Me too!" They even gifted me the pin, which I thought was so sweet of him. 

Being visible about your identity and being a source of information is also good for meeting other aroace people. For example, one of my uni friends is probably also on the aroace spectrum! I lent her my copy of loveless and she's been texting about her low-key identity crisis the past few days lol. She's still figuring herself out though.

Oh that’s actually really nice! :D

Im glad to know you met another aro in the wild.

• Like 1

Well if you do want to meet someone who is AroAce I would recommend joining a lgbtq+ club where they would probably reside. When I went to the GSA today there was one person who was Aromantic although they were not there.

Edited by SwiftySpeedy

33 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

Well if you do want to meet someone who is AroAce I would recommend joining a lgbtq+ club where they would probably reside. When I went to the GSA today there was one person who was Aromantic although they were not there.

I’ll definitely see if I can do that by the time school rolls around soon.

I think you're more likely to meet younger people who identify openly as aro.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if that stat was slightly higher, since its still a nieche label that not many people know about, stats like these also change depending on methodology.

No shit though, I was at a Drama event thing and I was randomly put in a group with 2 other people, [we're teenagers] and we were talking about random stuff during a break and we both found out we all happened to be aro [and also, unrelated, both really liked The Owl House], it was very surprising!

Also one of my childhood friends that I've had for 10+ years is AroAce! and I think another friend of mine might identify as demiromantic?

Edited by Noble-Harvest-Spear
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Noble-Harvest-Spear said:

I think you're more likely to meet younger people who identify openly as aro.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if that stat was slightly higher, since its still a nieche label that not many people know about, stats like these also change depending on methodology.

No shit though, I was at a Drama event thing and I was randomly put in a group with 2 other people, [we're teenagers] and we were talking about random stuff during a break and we both found out we all happened to be aro [and also, unrelated, both really liked The Owl House], it was very surprising!

Also one of my childhood friends that I've had for 10+ years is AroAce! and I think another friend of mine might identify as demiromantic?

Oh my gosh, I wish I found more aro’s. 😓

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Log Date 7152 said:

I was already friends with one aroace person before we realized we were both aroace (that's how I figured it out). Then he became friends with another aroace person, then I started becoming friends with a different aroace person, then we realized we were all aroace because a couple people had pride pins/rings and it was mentioned

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AstrophelDragon said:

I was already friends with one aroace person before we realized we were both aroace (that's how I figured it out). Then he became friends with another aroace person, then I started becoming friends with a different aroace person, then we realized we were all aroace because a couple people had pride pins/rings and it was mentioned

Oh my gosh, 4 aroace friends off of pure accident. I need this kind of luck.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, HelloThere said:

I need this kind of luck.

A lot of it is probably just where you live and what you do and stuff. I attended a pretty accepting school in a fairly accepting city where there's not much danger in coming out. And within that, I was in band, where there tends to be more queer people. And I'm neurodivergent, and only really know how to talk to neurodivergent people, and a lot of neurodivergent people are also queer, including a lot of aroace people. Put all those together and it does make it more likely for me to meet aroace people than for others (also by aroace I mean on the spectrum of both, in this case asexual and aro-spec)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AstrophelDragon said:

A lot of it is probably just where you live and what you do and stuff. I attended a pretty accepting school in a fairly accepting city where there's not much danger in coming out. And within that, I was in band, where there tends to be more queer people. And I'm neurodivergent, and only really know how to talk to neurodivergent people, and a lot of neurodivergent people are also queer, including a lot of aroace people. Put all those together and it does make it more likely for me to meet aroace people than for others (also by aroace I mean on the spectrum of both, in this case asexual and aro-spec)

I mean I haven’t found many aroace’s but I’ve somehow managed to find all of my fellow geeks and nerds and talk a lot about entertainment and shows. Somehow I managed to be the best friends with queer people where I’m at. XD

Let me think… I have a friend who’s bi, and her friend I think is gender fluid or bi-gender? And another person in that friend group is possibly aro. That’s about as many friends I have at school that’re queer but at church there’s a girl who’s sorta the type that’ll talk for hours about transformers comics, and it’s surprisingly entertaining. 

• Like 1

Uh, I was talking to someone with autism who ID'd as aro ace.  His caretaker was nearby and the moment our conversation turned to that she told us to change the subject :/

That is the story behind the Aro in the Airport.

Edited by alto
  • Like 1