Neurodivergent Peoples

Lunar Nova

On 8/3/2023 at 6:48 PM, DragonWithAQuest said:

Opinions on this on a pin? I like it. But the puzzle pieces…

IMG_0009.png

If you like it, go for it. The puzzle pieces would give me pause for certain, but I've seen stuff with the puzzle piece that made me wish I could reclaim the imagery

7 hours ago, Collie said:

If you like it, go for it. The puzzle pieces would give me pause for certain, but I've seen stuff with the puzzle piece that made me wish I could reclaim the imagery

I've heard people try to reclaim the puzzle piece as the final piece of us, what completes us, rather than the missing piece.

• 4 weeks later...

Sensory issues suck ass. There are days I can't even feel good in a dark room with as little noise as possible, because I can feel the chair pressing against my back too much or something.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Collie said:

Sensory issues suck ass.

They really do.

Like now when I'm starting college and I want to find new friends here and there are meetups where I could easily find new people to talk to but it's too loud with too many people and so someone comes up to talk to me and I'm unable to say anything...(unfortunately that is what happened yesterday)

3 hours ago, AstrophelDragon said:

They really do.

Like now when I'm starting college and I want to find new friends here and there are meetups where I could easily find new people to talk to but it's too loud with too many people and so someone comes up to talk to me and I'm unable to say anything...(unfortunately that is what happened yesterday)

I experience that at walmart, too many people around and I swear I can hear everything every single one of them is saying. That and the other ambient noises make me get close to meltdown. I don't seem to experience speech loss episodes though. edit: I do experience partial speech loss when I do go into meltdown actually, so I take that back

• Like 1

Sensory overload is the worst. I had an episode at my grandpa’s house where a car honked at me or something and I completely flipped. Then I couldn’t focus on anything for the next half hour.

The only (and I do mean only) upside of sensory overload is that I have an excuse to get this plushie.

IMG_0057.jpeg

Does anyone else here have both Tourette's Syndrome and Sensory Processing Disorder (or like, sensory things from something like ADHD or autism)?

I was wondering if anyone else feels like their tics get worse when they are overstimulated

• 1 month later...

I have no idea why I need to feel certain textures sometimes and need to say or do certain things, and if I don't I go nuts, and it becomes the only thing I can thing about and focus on, and why I hate specific textures, but all I know is that it sucks. A lot.

Edited by BloodLust

I just want to dress up for Halloween. It’s my favorite holiday. But I’m struggling finding a costume that won’t trigger my sensory overload. And then when I google “autism friendly Halloween costumes” all the results are for children. I’m not a child anymore! I just want a costume.

I can't get a diagnosis so it's taken me a long time to accept it but I'm pretty sure I'm autistic. Multiple professionals have brought it up as a possibility and it explains so many of my problems. I'm still working on accepting it.

I'm currently coming out of autistic burnout from continuously ignoring my needs and pushing myself too far and that was definitely a wake up call that I need to make some changes. Hoping I can get diagnosed but, well, American healthcare, and I'm not sure when I could get tested. I'm just focusing on learning more about my needs and how to improve my life for the time being.

Edited by dewy

• 1 month later...

When I saw an intersectionality section, I figured there had to be a neurodivergent forum. I don't think I know any aro and/or ace folks who are not neurodivergent in some way. By definition doesn't an aromantic mind diverge from the typical? Can you conduct yourself in a neurotypical way and not feel romantic attraction? 🤔

For myself, I have been diagnosed with ADHD combined type and ASD. 

• 1 month later...

Am strongly suspecting myself to be autistic, at the very least I have a big number of autistic-like experiences: obscure interests and hyperfixations, sensory sensitivities (bright light/noise, food textures, and such), obsessing with listing and classifying stuff as a kid, often taking stuff too literally, bad at reading emotions, bad at etiquette, eye contact, controlling my voice volume and some other aspects of spoken speech at times (I was also pretty disadapted socially, but not sure which is the cause and which the effect - most attempts to socialize me as a kid went bad). Also bad at remembering faces and until relatively recently - at recognising and dealing with my own emotions until they explode. 

With all that, never had a diagnosis. Tried to get it as an adult after something around a year ago learning properly what autism is and that it sounds really like me, but one professional I went to suggested I can be right and sent me to a test with another professional who wasn't able to prove it. I am not sure how good the test was since many questions were about very early childhood that neither I nor my mum whom I brought with me could provide certain answers for. On the contrary, online adult-aimed tests I passed (some of which had believable-sounding scientific backup) say yes. 

Edited by Ekaterina

• 1 month later...

I saw a status update by @queer_kaleidoscope that said "why is mental illness like "buy 1 get 5 free"" and this feels SO TRUE

like when I found out I had either SPD or autism I was like, okay, I can deal with that, but now that I know I have social anxiety, depression, ADHD, BPD, PTSD, C-PTSD, and dysgraphia as well...

WHAT THE HECK I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS 

Edited by smac n cheese
  • Like 1

Life is similar thing grouping together. (the reason behind why there are just random clusters of lets say fast food restaurants)

I have aphantasia and my life is an alliteration.

I have a list of other things that I may have, but aphantasia is the only one I'm actually sure about.

I am also here to remind you that 'giftedness' is technically a type of neurodivergence. (which is why the most gifted kids are also the most depressed [is the reason why my excels math is the most chaotic class of the day because we all have adhd, or is it just because our teacher is 21 and we are 6th graders that just came in from recess?])

Please help we have state testing tomorrow and everyone says I'm gonna do fine cuz my IQ is 141 and im SoOoOo gifted but that's not how it works and I'm self destructing because of my parents' existence

Edited by P4R4D0X
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

Please help we have state testing tomorrow and everyone says I'm gonna do fine cuz my IQ is 141 and im SoOoOo gifted but that's not how it works and I'm self destructing because of my parents' existence

I'm so sorry about that... idk how I can help but if you need to talk I'm always here!

oh, I'm definitely self destructing because of my parents' existence as well